ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

working part time with a Student Visa

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

realcolmado
Newly Registered
Spain

working part time with a Student Visa

Post by realcolmado » Sun May 07, 2023 12:16 pm

I am from Spain. I am 35 years old and my intention is to come to England (Bristol) to study and improve my English. Besides that, I would also like to be able to work, if possible.

I was looking at the UK Government website and I saw that the Student Visa allows you to work part-time while studying a higher education course. One of the courses that allows you to apply for this visa is, and I quote: "an English language course at level B2 or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages."

Do you know of any schools in Bristol that offer this B2 course? I have been looking at the list of licensed student sponsors from the Government and so far I have not seen any Bristol schools that offer it, but if anyone knows of any center, I would appreciate it.

On the other hand, I would like to know if it is possible to take a course with the Student Visa that lasts 6 months, or does it necessarily have to be longer than this time? In relation to part-time work, could I look for it once I am living in Bristol or should I have it arranged before I move there?

I appreciate any comments, help, or recommendations possible. Thank you very much.

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: working part time with a Student Visa

Post by lolo2 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:13 pm

You cannot work with a short-term student visa.
What you cannot do (with this visa)

You cannot:

work or carry out any business (this includes paid or unpaid work, work experience or work placements)
See: Study English in the UK

Not sure where you're looking at, but there's plenty of student sponsors in Bristol including providers of English courses. (even some HEI provide ESOL courses)

See: Licensed sponsors: students

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Sun May 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Edit:

The short-term student visa is for courses lasting between 6 and 11 months.

The statement you've quoted refers to the Student visa:

Student visa
Courses you can study

You can do one of the following courses:

an English language course at level B2 or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
To qualify for this visa, the course must be longer than 11 months. You might be given a permission to work.
What you can and cannot do (with a Student visa)

You may be able to work - how much depends on what you’re studying and whether you’re working in or out of term-time.
Your age is irrelevant for any Student visa in the UK.

Once you've chosen the English school, I suggest contacting their admissions office and they should provide all the details on what you can and cannot do while studying with them.

realcolmado
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by realcolmado » Thu May 11, 2023 4:05 pm

Thanks for your answers

Unfortunately, in the list of government sponsors, I only see about 25 results from Bristol, so there are not many centers, especially considering that many of these sponsored centers are only for children or adolescents. Could you show me some other list of sponsored centers, if you know it, please?
So, if I want to work part time, it has to be more than 6 months and only with the student visa, right? The type of work that I may be able to do will be determined by the center that I choose and will depend on the type of course that I do, right?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu May 11, 2023 4:09 pm

Just out of interest, what attracts you to Bristol?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu May 11, 2023 4:14 pm

realcolmado wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:05 pm
So, if I want to work part time, it has to be more than 6 months and only with the student visa, right?
That will depend on student visa conditions. Depending on a sponsor/etc, you may or may not get permission to work, see ST 26.1:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ix-student
ST26.1. The applicant will be granted permission with the following employment conditions:
Type of study Employment conditions
Student following a full-time course of degree level or above study:
• sponsored by a higher education provider with a track record of compliance; or
• sponsored by an overseas higher education institution to undertake a short-term study abroad programme in the UK
20 hours per week during term-time (full- time employment permitted outside of term-time)
Student undertaking a full-time course below degree level study sponsored by a higher education provider with a track record of compliance
10 hours per week during term-time (full- time employment permitted outside of term-time)
All other study, including all part-time study
No employment permitted
realcolmado wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 4:05 pm
The type of work that I may be able to do will be determined by the center that I choose and will depend on the type of course that I do, right?
No; there's no requirement for you to do certain type of work. Whoever takes you on.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

realcolmado
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by realcolmado » Sun May 14, 2023 11:19 am

Wow. Thank you for your reply. This information you provide me is really useful. Now, I will try to search a center sponsored by the uk gov.

If someon knows some sponsored place in Bristol, please let me know this.

I choose Bristol because is a good and alternative city near London that for me is really wonderful to live someday.

Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 14, 2023 1:04 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

realcolmado
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by realcolmado » Mon May 15, 2023 6:49 pm

Thank you! I'll check it

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue May 16, 2023 9:28 am

You also can use the English course finder of the British Council

Just to let you know that Bristol is not near London, it's more than 100 miles away :!:

realcolmado
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by realcolmado » Tue May 16, 2023 4:38 pm

True, it's more than 100 miles far away, but for me, 3 hours by bus are no too much and make it closer hehe

Thanks for the infoo ;)

nriway10
Newly Registered
India

Post by nriway10 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:52 pm

realcolmado wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 12:16 pm
I am from Spain. I am 35 years old and my intention is to come to England (Bristol) to study and improve my English. Besides that, I would also like to be able to work, if possible.

I was looking at the UK Government website and I saw that the Student Visa allows you to work part-time while studying a higher education course. One of the courses that allows you to apply for this visa is, and I quote: "an English language course at level B2 or above in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages."

Do you know of any schools in Bristol that offer this B2 course? I have been looking at the list of licensed student sponsors from the Government and so far I have not seen any Bristol schools that offer it, but if anyone knows of any center, I would appreciate it.

On the other hand, I would like to know if it is possible to take a course with the Student Visa that lasts 6 months, or does it necessarily have to be longer than this time? In relation to part-time work, could I look for it once I am living in Bristol or should I have it arranged before I move there?

I appreciate any comments, help, or recommendations possible. Thank you very much.
Students on full time degree-level courses holding a Student visa are permitted to work in the UK. The requirements and rules are as follows: Up to 20 hours per week during University term time. UKVI has defined a "week" as "a seven day period starting on a Monday and ending on a Sunday"