ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Damaged citizenship certificate.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shuaibkhan
Newly Registered

Damaged citizenship certificate.

Post by shuaibkhan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:50 am

Hi all

My citizenship certificate got damaged after return from home office. The lower 1/5th part got torn away while opening the parcel. I wonder if I need to get a replacement. Will I ever need it now that I have gotten my first passport already?

Thank you so much.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Damaged citizenship certificate.

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:01 am

You should probably get a replacement. Keep it safe and do not laminate it.

It is the certificate that is the evidence of British citizenship.

A passport is just a travel document.

Be more careful when opening things.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shuaibkhan
Newly Registered

Post by shuaibkhan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:57 am

I wonder if this is just another way of getting money out of people. That is, print the cetificate on a very low quality paper, ask people not to laminate it, in the hopes that more people damage it and pay high cost for replacement. :)

Has anyone ever needed to show their certificate other than to get their first passport? If not, probably better to only get a replacement if ever needed!?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:59 am

shuaibkhan wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:57 am
I wonder if this is just another way of getting money out of people. That is, print the cetificate on a very low quality paper, ask people not to laminate it, in the hopes that more people damage it and pay high cost for replacement. :)

Has anyone ever needed to show their certificate other than to get their first passport? If not, probably better to only get a replacement if ever needed!?
There might be a variety of scenarios where you would need it, for example, to prove your future children's right to British Citizenship (passport won't be enough in this case). I'd advise to get a replacement so you have it at hand if needed and peace of mind.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:25 pm

shuaibkhan wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:57 am

Your citizenship might come into question when you're trying to renew your passport! They could call you for an interview and it would be nice to have that handy.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:30 pm

As CR001 has mentioned above, it is the naturalisation certificate that is proof of your British citizenship, not your passport, which is only a travel document.

There have been cases where children who were issued British passports were denied renewals as it was subsequently determined that their parents had not met the requirements at the time of birth of the children. So renewals are not automatic.

Also, in some cases, your children and perhaps even grandchildren, especially any born outside the UK, may need to prove that you were a British citizen otherwise than by descent. The only proof of that is your naturalisation certificate.

And remember that the onus is on you to keep/maintain your data, not the Home Office's

And there is no centralised database of British citizens. If you need to prove your British citizenship, you will need to produce the naturalisation certificate.

Also see this thread discussing how long to preserve the documentation proving your immigration process, never mind just the naturalisation certificate.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.