ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MASTER Degree

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

interior
Newly Registered

MASTER Degree

Post by interior » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:11 pm

I am currently holding two degrees (MBA and MIT) from UK but none is them is from uk based universities. My question is can I get extention on the basis of MBA from uk based university as this will be my 3rd master degree but first from UK university. Please let me know as I am running out of time.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: MASTER Degree

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:21 pm

interior wrote:I am currently holding two degrees (MBA and MIT) from UK but none is them is from uk based universities. My question is can I get extention on the basis of MBA from uk based university as this will be my 3rd master degree but first from UK university. Please let me know as I am running out of time.
To me, with my UKBA head on, this looks like there is no progression here, what use are three masters? Looks like an attempt to string out for 10 years legal stay ILR.

So I feel u'd have to convince the UKBA there is a benefit for u and ur career other than racking up for ILR.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

pjoshi007
Mood:
India

Yes you can get an extension on 3rd Master's Degree

Post by pjoshi007 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Hi

You can apply for an extension if u want to do Masters from a UK university. If its a reputed university then home office will not say NO. You can choose a diferent course in MBA this time something that will compliment what u have already done.

If u have followed all the rules and regulations being a student so far such as workingonly 20 hours a week and have proof ofwhat u have studied then hopefully u should be able to get an extension.

I was a student for 3 years beore I just changed to WP in UK.

Regards
Poonam

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:26 pm

Where were those masters awarded, you previously mentioned "Barbican University". This isn't a recognised university anywhere in the world as far as I am aware.

I think you may be pushing your luck with a third course of study at the same level, or supposed level considering "Barbican University" often gets called a diploma mill.

www.barbicanuniversity.ac

An Ascension Islands website can be a sign of fishy goings on because it plays on people's recognition of .ac.uk, which is used by real recognised universites (among others) in the UK

http://www.newstatesman.com/society/200 ... rsity-long

Degrees of deception
Angela Saini
New Statesman
Published 31 January 2008
Angela Saini in the New Statesman wrote:A legal loophole ensures that as long as someone doesn't falsely claim to offer a UK-recognised qualification, he or she is relatively free to sell degrees

"The reputation of British higher education is suffering," says Professor Geoffrey Alderman. As a long-time adviser for universities and colleges, he has been pressing the government to clamp down on dodgy higher education providers in the UK, many of whom make millions by selling worthless degrees to innocent students.

Thousands of miles away in Kolkata, one such student, Sounak Halder, is struggling to repay a £5,000 debt. In 2006, he borrowed money to fund a Masters from a private college in London, supposedly awarded by the Irish International University. Only when he arrived at a grotty office in Shadwell, east London, did he realise his mistake. "I found the university had changed its website three times in three months," he says. Later he found no such university existed.

"Students from the developing world go back to their countries of origin and find they might as well paper their walls with the qualifications," says Alderman.

A legal loophole ensures that as long as someone doesn't falsely claim to offer a UK-recognised qualification, he or she is relatively free to sell degrees. Today's fake universities need little more than a glossy website. With fine words and affiliations to imaginary academic bodies, students may never realise their qualifications are not bona fide.

The IIU relies on backstreet colleges in London to provide the scant tuition needed to earn its qualifications. A one-year course at a British university can cost an overseas student around £10,000; the IIU charges £4,500. Unsurprisingly, thousands of students in the developing world leap at the chance to enrol for these cut-price degrees.

With few overheads, there is big money to be made. Preston University, Barbican University and the University of New Castle have all sprung up in the past decade, aided by the UK's lack of regulation. Local trading standards offices have been left to deal with the bogus colleges, even though the problem can be overwhelming in certain areas. Trading standards officers in the London Borough of Tower Hamlets have identified at least 40 problem colleges, with new ones opening all the time.
London College of Computing & Management Sciences is still on this list:

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/providersregister/search.cfm

http://www.lccms.org.uk/affiliations.html

Regards

interior
Newly Registered

Post by interior » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Wanderer wrote:
interior wrote:I am currently holding two degrees (MBA and MIT) from UK but none is them is from uk based universities. My question is can I get extention on the basis of MBA from uk based university as this will be my 3rd master degree but first from UK university. Please let me know as I am running out of time.
To me, with my UKBA head on, this looks like there is no progression here, what use are three masters? Looks like an attempt to string out for 10 years legal stay ILR.

So I feel u'd have to convince the UKBA there is a benefit for u and ur career other than racking up for ILR.
Many Thanks for your reply, as I am not even thinking to stay after my degree as I already applied for job in Dubai but many of the consultant replied back saying that If I have got uk based degree then it is much easier to get job there hence the reason I want to do MBA again as previous one was from Barbican which is not acceptable even here in UK and how comes they will accept this so I really want to get master degree from UK based university.

interior
Newly Registered

Re: Yes you can get an extension on 3rd Master's Degree

Post by interior » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm

pjoshi007 wrote:Hi

You can apply for an extension if u want to do Masters from a UK university. If its a reputed university then home office will not say NO. You can choose a diferent course in MBA this time something that will compliment what u have already done.

If u have followed all the rules and regulations being a student so far such as workingonly 20 hours a week and have proof ofwhat u have studied then hopefully u should be able to get an extension.

I was a student for 3 years beore I just changed to WP in UK.

Regards
Poonam

Many Thanks,

interior
Newly Registered

Post by interior » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Wanderer wrote:

I don't think so after living six 5 years in this country you can apply for ILR but anyway I realised now that without holiding UK based degree there is no prospect of getting good job, hence I want to get extention to study from UK based university.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:53 pm

interior wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

I don't think so after living six 5 years in this country you can apply for ILR but anyway I realised now that without holiding UK based degree there is no prospect of getting good job, hence I want to get extention to study from UK based university.
Ten years if not on WP/HSMP or marriage.

I hear u re UK degree and I understand but UK education is pretty poor nowadays hence probably UKBA big clampdown on dodgy colleges etc - protecting the future....

I think u can argue ur case re non-UK degrees and u wanting a UK one, if I was wearing my ECO head again I'd go with it! And I'm a bastard!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

OuidaLynn
Newly Registered

Post by OuidaLynn » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 am

Hi guys,I am newbie to the thread.I like to share about the samples written in the Architecture MS, MSc.It is very effective and informative samples.

suis

Post by suis » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:12 am

rubbish wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
rubbish wrote:I am currently holding two degrees (MBA and MIT) from UK but none is them is from uk based universities. My question is can I get extention on the basis of MBA from uk based university as this will be my 3rd master degree but first from UK university. Please let me know as I am running out of time.

Many Thanks for your reply, as I am not even thinking to stay after my degree as I already applied for job in Dubai but many of the consultant replied back saying that If I have got uk based degree then it is much easier to get job there hence the reason I want to do MBA again as previous one was from Barbican which is not acceptable even here in UK and how comes they will accept this so I really want to get master degree from UK based university.

be careful some employers dont like to call for an interview even if u got more qualifications in u r CV.. best thing is to having a degree + experience.