ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Certifiate - 2nd Issue

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Rogerio

Naturalisation Certifiate - 2nd Issue

Post by Rogerio » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:28 am

Hi Guys,

I naturalised as British last November 2004.

If I lose my naturalisation certificate, or if it gets damaged, etc, can I request a 2nd copy? I have looked for this piece of information, and there seems to be very little about it.

I will probably request my bank to keep it in their safe, just in case!

Thanks

Rogerio

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:24 pm

It's extremely difficult to get a replacement of a lost naturalisation certificate, so putting it in a bank safe deposit box is not such a bad idea.

Once you have your British passport you don't really need it readily available anyway.

Joseph

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:10 pm

Thanks Joseph,

Do you know under what conditions they would issue a replacement?

And who "they" are?

I thought issuing another one would not be such an issue in case you lost or damaged it... I thought it would be something like issuing a replacement for one's "birth certificate".

Thanks again.

Rogerio

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:34 am

The circumstances and procedures for issuing a repacement are complicated and described here:

Certificates (copies)

It the original certificate is damaged and the Home Office gets it back, they will more readily issue a replacement than if it is lost, thus requiring further investigation.

"They" refers to your bank or other institution who can provide a safe deposit box.

Reissuing or even correcting a naturalization certificate is difficult. Part of the reason is that you can use the certificate to get a passport, so they want to have strict control over the originals.

Joseph

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:43 am

Joseph

This is very detailed. I appreciate the info & the link.

The "they" I asked about was the Home Office, and it became clear in your reply.

Again, thank you and all the best.

Kind regards

Rogerio.

John

Post by John » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:53 am

Just a general comment about the subject of this topic ..... why not actually get a safe? I had one fitted here about ten years ago. It is not very big and was not very expensive, but is a proper fire-proof safe able to withstand temperatures of 800C for an hour without the contents of the safe getting damaged.

What is in the safe? Nothing at all of any value ... except documents like passports, certificates of British Citizenship, and the like. Oh, and the buildings insurance policy ... might be rather important if the building does burn down! :shock:

Or even, I would suggest, the sort of non-fire-proof safe readily available at B&Q and the like ... well even one of those would be better than nothing. After all even such a safe, if properly installed, would be a problem to a burglar. Such safes are less than £30.
John

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:00 am

That's not a bad idea John. Currently I keep all the important doc's (passport, natur. certificate, insurance, birth certif, etc) in plastic bags organised in folders.... and have always done so.

The thing is lately I seem to have gone insurance crazy (unemployment, critical illness, etc) and would like to have a safe place to store all of these babies.

Sad eh?

:D