ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

After you get married? - Fiance Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Redder
Newly Registered

After you get married? - Fiance Visa

Post by Redder » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:02 pm

Hi again,

Quick question if i may ask. Please correct me if i am wrong

So far, in the process to get married, we have come upon several "buzz words".
I understand to get married one follows the following steps:
1- Fiance Visa: granted at embassy to be able to arrive in the UK and get married within 6 months
2- Notice of marriage: After 7 days of arrival & residency you submit your notice of marriage at the registrar
3- Authority of marriage: 15 days later you get the authority of marriage from the registrarto be able to marry

Have i got it correct so far?
Moving Ahead ..... you get married (within 6 months of your fiance visa)
4- Certificate of approval for marriage: you apply for it ONLY by post at the IND .. found this on
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en ... tting.html
Is this correct ???? or Not ???

5- No idea what happens next !!! ... heh ..

How redder can this get ?! :roll:

John

Post by John » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:33 pm

Redder, if armed with a fiancé visa there is no need to get a Certificate of Approval to Marry. That need only applies to people already in the UK with say a student visa or an employment visa etc.. But by definition you will enter the UK with a fiancé visa.

After the marriage has actually happened you can then apply, in the UK, for a spouse visa ... using form FLR(M).
John

Redder
Newly Registered

Post by Redder » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:46 pm

John i'm starting to feel a little bit guilty for taking this much of your time today. Thanks again.

Please allow me one last comment today.
After the marriage has actually happened you can then apply, in the UK, for a spouse visa ... using form FLR(M).
I checked the website:
http://ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind/en/hom ... 20Form.pdf

It said:
Applications made by post: decide 70% of
applications within 4 weeks (20 working days) and
90% within 14 weeks (70 working days).
Applications made in person: decide 98% within 24 hours.

Ok, Say your fiance visa ends on 30th of October for example, and you end up getting married on the 15th of October, leaving you with only 15 days left on your fiance visa.
And you end up sending your FLR(M) by post, and you go on your honeymoon.

What happens to your legal status in the country? If it took them more than two weeks to reply back to you, would one be considered an overstayer on his fiance visa in this case?

Any chance of one going there on a fiance visa & getting married, then he gets refused the FLR ?!

John

Post by John » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:13 pm

If you have a valid visa and apply for another in the UK before the old one expires, and have not heard the result of the application by the stated expiry date of the old visa, then legislation known as Section 3C kicks in.

That is, the old visa is treated as continuing pending the processing of the visa application, so you would not be classed as an overstayer.

Chance of failing to convert a fiancé visa into a spouse visa in the UK ... extremely low chance of that. Basically, prove the marriage has happened and the spouse visa will be granted.

By the way :-
you end up sending your FLR(M) by post, and you go on your honeymoon.
-: by definition that honeymoon would be in the UK because your passport would need to be sent in with the visa application .... of course .... you are hoping to have a new visa inserted into it.
John