ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applied for Tier 4 General, denied... Now, student visitor?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tonytony
Newly Registered

Applied for Tier 4 General, denied... Now, student visitor?

Post by tonytony » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi everyone:

I was hoping someone could provide any quick advice on my situation, I'll be very brief. Basically, about a month ago, I applied for a Tier 4 Student General Visa, which was denied in the Consulate in NY because the statement provided by the bank in order to verify the presence of funds was not stamped.

Now, I'm in a real hurry as I have a week to get to the UK to start my course or I will no longer be accepted. It's just a one-semester exchange programme (about 4 months total). So, does anyone know if there would be any issue in applying for a student visitor visa at the UK border? Note that I'm a non-visa national, meaning I shouldn't need a visa in the first place in order to visit the UK.

Does anyone know if there would be a potential issue with this? From what I can see, I have the supporting documents (the original acceptance letter for the Tier 4 application) and funding information (now stamped by the bank and going back several months).

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tony

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:55 pm

as far as I know, having been refused a UK visa means u r now obligated to apply for a visit visa formally in any case.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tonytony
Newly Registered

Post by tonytony » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:59 am

Wanderer, thanks for the quick reply. That's fine by me, as student visitor falls in that category.

There shouldn't be any restrictions as to the place where it's issued right? Meaning, I shouldn't have to get a visa here locally before traveling to the UK when (in my case) I can get that student visitor Visa in the border...?

Thanks again.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:10 am

tonytony wrote:Wanderer, thanks for the quick reply. That's fine by me, as student visitor falls in that category.

There shouldn't be any restrictions as to the place where it's issued right? Meaning, I shouldn't have to get a visa here locally before traveling to the UK when (in my case) I can get that student visitor Visa in the border...?

Thanks again.
No, u'll have to apply formally from ur country of recidence, all UK visas are issued this way, apart from 'waivered' visas of course.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

tonytony
Newly Registered

Post by tonytony » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:10 pm

I actually read from another forum member that as long as you can explain the reason for your visa rejection (in my case, a silly bank stamp was missing), you should be fine. I plan to take the reason for rejection provided by the consulate so they realize this.

A person from a non-visa national country should be able to enter the UK without prior entry clearance from what I recently heard...

fshhddn

Post by fshhddn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:27 am

Since you r a non-visa national, you can come to the UK to do a course of less than 6 months without a visa. But the earlier refusal may have some impact upon your arrival at the airport. Bring all the original documents including the notice of refusal on your person to explain to the immigration officer at the airport. Bring all prove of funds to show that you can support yourself and the letter from the college and that you have paid the fee. Bring any documents that can prove your intention to study is genuine. Hope this helps. Tq.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/index.php

fshhddn

Post by fshhddn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 am

Also call the college before you go. Explain the situation and get a contact names (get 2 names) who you can contact in case you have difficulty at the border(airport). Tq

tonytony
Newly Registered

Post by tonytony » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

hey fshhddn, thanks for your help. I have all the relevant documentation including a corrected version of the bank statement (the same bank statement that was lacking a stamp before and thus prevented me from getting the Tier 4) and even more information, just in case.

Good idea on getting contact information from individuals at college, just in case. Thanks again.

fshhddn

Post by fshhddn » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Don't worry. They will let you in as long as you have all proofs. If they have too many Qs, call the college. This always happen to students at the airport and by calling the college personnel (get the mobile no. in case you arrive after office hrs) would solve the problem. ( I have been in the same situation before). Best wishes!