ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Duration for first landing and validity of visa

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

avparthas
Newly Registered

Duration for first landing and validity of visa

Post by avparthas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:46 am

Hi

My question is on Duration for first landing and validity period of visa.Lets assume I file and get UK Tier 1 visa under general category is there a 6 month or 3 month duration within which I should enter into UK (first time ?)

Note: I cannot travel until Jan 2011..So Should I wait for getting visa?

Thnx
Partha

raghava39@rediffmail.com

Post by raghava39@rediffmail.com » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:17 am

Partha,

This is a very common topic over here in the boards. I would suggest a search in the forum. It will clarify all the doubts

Thanks
Raghavendran G

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:06 am

you can travel anytime your visa is valid... but if you choose to not come here within 28 days of issue of visa than you might have some complications when it comes to getting ILR/Permanent residency in 5 years time.

regards

rackspace

Post by rackspace » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 am

can you please tell what type of issues?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:08 am

rackspace wrote:can you please tell what type of issues?
You will have to extend twice before gong for ILR, as opposed to one if you enter within 28 days. There are quite a few topics on this issue in this forum, browse through them as well.

vks

Re: Duration for first landing and validity of visa

Post by vks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:17 pm

avparthas wrote:Hi

My question is on Duration for first landing and validity period of visa.Lets assume I file and get UK Tier 1 visa under general category is there a 6 month or 3 month duration within which I should enter into UK (first time ?)

Note: I cannot travel until Jan 2011..So Should I wait for getting visa?

Thnx
Partha
Why would one get the visa, if he is sure that he will not enter the UK until Jan2011?
Regards,
vks

rackspace

Post by rackspace » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:31 pm

because rules may change any time.

avparthas
Newly Registered

Post by avparthas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:50 am

rackspace wrote:because rules may change any time.
Thanks everyone for the clarifications.

Yah the reason for applying now itself is to safeguard from sudden rule changes :-)

Thnx
Partha

avparthas
Newly Registered

Post by avparthas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:37 am

aruni4470 wrote:
You will have to extend twice before gong for ILR, as opposed to one if you enter within 28 days. There are quite a few topics on this issue in this forum, browse through them as well.
Aruni , I went through your other replies on someone else's query and you said that the extension can happen more than once and there may not be issues in ILR provided docs are intact. Whats the exact rule of the 5 year stay. Through Tier 2 WP visa I was in UK for 10 months between sep 2008 and July 2009. Lets say I apply and get Tier 1 now will the old 10 months stay be considered that I need not go for second extension?

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:45 am

avparthas wrote:
aruni4470 wrote:
Aruni , I went through your other replies on someone else's query and you said that the extension can happen more than once and there may not be issues in ILR provided docs are intact. Whats the exact rule of the 5 year stay. Through Tier 2 WP visa I was in UK for 10 months between sep 2008 and July 2009. Lets say I apply and get Tier 1 now will the old 10 months stay be considered that I need not go for second extension?

Stay on WP will be considered towards the ILR requirement. But, your stay of 10 months wont be considered towards the ILR requirement as you have stayed out of the country for more than 90 days at a stretch and more than 180 days in total.

One can apply for ILR after he/she completes a stay of 4 yrs 11months, which will be possible only if one enters the UK within 28 days from the start of his/her visa and should not be out of the country for more than 90 days at a stretch and 180 days in total. Each time you break this rule, the ILR clock resets.

In your case, if you get your tier 1 visa and enter UK wintin 28 days from the date of your visa, then you will be able to apply for ILR with 1 extension. (provided the rules dont change)