ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to fill question 1.43 and 1.44 on AN application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Swan

How to fill question 1.43 and 1.44 on AN application

Post by Swan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Dear all
please help
I am due to apply for naturalisation via the NCS soon, I came across two confusing questions

I am married and never been married before
My husband has been married and divorced before, does question 1.43 and 1.44 bellow apply to his previous mariage?

please advice
thanks

This is the section i took from page 7 of the application form

If you were previously married or in a civil partnership, please give:

1.37 Full name of previous husband or wife or civil partner (before marriage/civil partnership). Provide details on page 14 if
more than one previous marriage.

1.38 Previous husband's/wife's/civil partner’s date of birth
1.39 Previous husband's/wife's/civil partner’s
village/town/city and country of birth
1.40 Previous husband's/wife's/civil partner’s nationality
1.41 Date and place of your previous marriage/civil partnership
1.42 Date, place and reason for the ending of your previous marriage/civil partnership
1.43 Date(s) and place(s) of your husband's/wife's/civil partner’s previous marriage/civil partnership (if applicable)
1.44 Date(s), place(s) and reason(s) for ending of your husband’s/wife’s/civil partner’s marriage or civil partnership (if
applicable)

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: How to fill question 1.43 and 1.44 on AN application

Post by Christophe » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:04 pm

Swan wrote:Dear all
please help
I am due to apply for naturalisation via the NCS soon, I came across two confusing questions

My husband has been married and divorced before, does question 1.43 and 1.44 bellow apply to his previous mariage?
No, it's referring to your (the applicant's) previous husband's details. Since you have not been married before and therefore do not have a previous husband, this section is not relevant to you. (The guide to filling in the form says, "1.37—1.45. If you were previously married or in civil partnership, you must complete your previous husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s details.")

Since this section is not applicable to you, you can leave it blank, put a dash (—), or put "N/A" (for "not applicable").

Swan

Post by Swan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:09 am

Christophe wrote:
Swan wrote:Dear all
please help

No, it's referring to your (the applicant's) previous husband's details. Since you have not been married before and therefore do not have a previous husband, this section is not relevant to you. (The guide to filling in the form says, "1.37—1.45. If you were previously married or in civil partnership, you must complete your previous husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s details.")

Since this section is not applicable to you, you can leave it blank, put a dash (—), or put "N/A" (for "not applicable").

Thank you so much for the reply, I also saw the guide and that's what confused me more,
if what you are saying is right (which is what I thought before too), what is the difference between question 1.41 and 1.43 then ?
thank you

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Swan wrote:Thank you so much for the reply, I also saw the guide and that's what confused me more,
if what you are saying is right (which is what I thought before too), what is the difference between question 1.41 and 1.43 then ?
thank you
Whoops, I think you're right...

Questions 1.38, 1.39, 1.40, 1.41, and 1.42 seem to be referring to any previous marriage/civil partnership that you, the applicant have had.

Questions 1.43 and 1.44 seem to be referring to any previous marriage/civil partnership that your present spouse/civil partner has had.

So, on that basis, the first five are not applicable to you, and the last two are in the sense that you need to give details of your husband's previous marriage.

:?: Any other takers? :?:

Swan

Post by Swan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:02 pm

Christophe wrote:
Swan wrote:Thank you so much for the reply, I also saw the guide and that's what confused me more,
thank you
Whoops, I think you're right...

Questions 1.38, 1.39, 1.40, 1.41, and 1.42 seem to be referring to any previous marriage/civil partnership that you, the applicant have had.

Questions 1.43 and 1.44 seem to be referring to any previous marriage/civil partnership that your present spouse/civil partner has had.

So, on that basis, the first five are not applicable to you, and the last two are in the sense that you need to give details of your husband's previous marriage.

:?: Any other takers? :?:
Thanks again for the reply, I guess you understand why i got confused at teh first place, it just seems weird that they want to know about my husband's past!
I think I am going to leave it blank and check with the NCS person when I go, I don't know if they are supposed to give you advice on how to fill in the application though ..
thanks for your trouble

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Swan wrote:Thanks again for the reply, I guess you understand why i got confused at teh first place, it just seems weird that they want to know about my husband's past!
I think I am going to leave it blank and check with the NCS person when I go, I don't know if they are supposed to give you advice on how to fill in the application though ..
thanks for your trouble
I think you can ask them — after all, they check the application to ensure that everything is in order, including the form. (Make sure you have any details, like dates, to hand that you're going to need, though.)

It would be interesting to hear their response, if you would post it here.

Anyway, all the best with the application. :)

Swan

Post by Swan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:33 pm

Christophe wrote:
Swan wrote:Thanks again for the reply, I guess you understand why i got confused at teh first place, it just seems weird that they want to know about my husband's past!
thanks for your trouble
I think you can ask them — after all, they check the application to ensure that everything is in order, including the form. (Make sure you have any details, like dates, to hand that you're going to need, though.)

i will definetely post the outcome, i am seeing them in 3 weeks
thanks again for the reply

Swan

Post by Swan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:34 am

Swan wrote:
Christophe wrote:
thanks for your trouble

i will definetely post the outcome, i am seeing them in 3 weeks
thanks again for the reply

Christophe,
just an update, I went to the NCS last week and submitted my naturalisation application, the lady was as confused as I was about those two questions, at the end she said "it is better if you could include the details of your husband's previous mariage just in case, you don't want to be accused of hiding information"
we also wrote a note underneath to emphasise that those details are of my husband's past not mine.
i was quite surprised that she didn't have a clue, she said she never really paid attention or noticed those two questions...so in other words paying that 45£ pounds for the service is just for someone to double check you got the right form and documents and put them in a next day delivery envelope !

take care
Swan