ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Fri May 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Geostar2010 wrote:wow, Cardi congrats!!! u must be really happy ha?! all the best to u! so Liverpool rocks then ha :lol:

Many Thanks Geostar2010!

Yes Lverpool Rocks!!! On the back of the envelope when they stamp the return address it said "Liverpool..Team 80 or Team88) I already put my passport away in a safe place...so cant remember exactly now...but it did say Team80 or Team 88....so I am assuming this team must be very efficient team....

Geostar2010, I am sure you will get your ILR very soon as well...

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Fri May 14, 2010 4:19 pm

DEVONIAN wrote:Congrats Cardi! Yours MUST be the fastest reply EVER in the hisory of ILR under the 10 Years Long Residence Rule! Even normal extensions by post tend to take longer. Cardi, just enjoy your weekend, celebrate it.

Thanks a lot DEVONIAN!!!!

Yes I posted just as a normal post (registered), and it came back with positive result really quckly....

I hope your ILR is being dealt with LIverpool team ( perhaps the same efficient team which dealt with mine...) and you will get your ILR very very soon as well....

sweet_pea
Newly Registered

Post by sweet_pea » Fri May 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Cardi wrote:
Yes I posted just as a normal post (registered), and it came back with positive result really quckly....

I hope your ILR is being dealt with LIverpool team ( perhaps the same efficient team which dealt with mine...) and you will get your ILR very very soon as well....
Wow, that's amazing!! Even spousal visas and 5 year ILR aren't that quick, even simple transfers!! Out of interest what was your status beforehand, 10 year student or combination WP/Student.

You should complain to Royal Mail though. You have to sign for a register letter so they shouldn't have posted through your letter box without a signature from the recipient.

I've been reading this forum for a while now. Giving it time to see if people here are genuine. I applied in January 2010, combination student/WP. Still no news.

sweet_pea
Newly Registered

Post by sweet_pea » Fri May 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Cardi wrote:
Geostar2010 wrote:wow, Cardi congrats!!! u must be really happy ha?! all the best to u! so Liverpool rocks then ha :lol:

Many Thanks Geostar2010!

Yes Lverpool Rocks!!! On the back of the envelope when they stamp the return address it said "Liverpool..Team 80 or Team88) I already put my passport away in a safe place...so cant remember exactly now...but it did say Team80 or Team 88....so I am assuming this team must be very efficient team....

Sorry, I'm constantly reading your posts in disbelief. You're so lucky.

Your above post makes it sounds like you work for the Home Office or is that UKBA. :lol: We all hate UKBA until we get our ILR then they can do no wrong.

Enjoy.

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm

sweet_pea wrote:
Cardi wrote:

Wow, that's amazing!! Even spousal visas and 5 year ILR aren't that quick, even simple transfers!! Out of interest what was your status beforehand, 10 year student or combination WP/Student.

You should complain to Royal Mail though. You have to sign for a register letter so they shouldn't have posted through your letter box without a signature from the recipient.

I've been reading this forum for a while now. Giving it time to see if people here are genuine. I applied in January 2010, combination student/WP. Still no news.

Hi Sweet_pea, Thanks for your post...

All of my visas during last 10 years were all Student visas....

Actually Royal Mail sent my ILR by 2nd Class Registred post (signed for).

I live in block of flats where we have a Concierge on the ground floor...He normally receives all the registred post and signes on behalf of the residents in th block of flats....

..then he normally drops a little card in your postbox saying "there was a registred delivery...please come and pick it up from concierge..if you dont pick it up in a number of days ..etc..that it will be returned back.."

..then residents have to go to concierge..show him the little card e left and print your name and write the time of signing and then sign the form he has got....This is the normal procedure he used to follow a year ago...

But these days he has developed a nice habbit of just dropping all the registered post in your postbox..obviously after he has signed for it....

..SO with my ILR ..he must have signed for me downstair when the postman delivered it ...and just dropped it in my postbox....

He keeps post in his concierge desk if it is a big boxes of deliveries...etc...

So my point is that Royal Mail did follow all the rules...so no complaint against them.....

I am not sure whats the timline of applicants with Student/WP...but I heard that they take much quicker then just Student visas with no WP...but then my application was based only on Student visa..and took really really quickly for it to arrive back...so I guess it all depends on the work "It Depends..."

I am sure you will hear and get your ILR soon as well....

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri May 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Congratulations Cardi! Got to say you're really very lucky! Enjoy :D

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Fri May 14, 2010 6:14 pm

sweet_pea wrote:
Cardi wrote:

Many Thanks Geostar2010!

Sorry, I'm constantly reading your posts in disbelief. You're so lucky.

Your above post makes it sounds like you work for the Home Office or is that UKBA. :lol: We all hate UKBA until we get our ILR then they can do no wrong.

Enjoy.

Yes Sweet_pea I was myself in a bit of a disbelive when I first got the post and as I wrote previously I kept looking at the passport sticker repetetevely for quite a while...opening the passport and then closing it again and then opening it again to look at the "idefinite.."sticker....

In regard to the Home office...I dont know...previosuly everytime I sent my student visa extentions, I just yfelt very helpless in a sence that they have got the power to decide your destiny in some way or another...

...even when I was posting my ILR, i did feelbery helpless and very vulnerable as Ho is the one who decides your desitny in terms of granting you extention/ILR or not...SO when you are in such vuneruble state one cant really hate or complain with Confidence...even if you complain there still will be this vulnerablnes..

I can complain or hate, for instance, hotel booking agency if they booked the hotel for for holiday for me and when I arrived they didint have any room in the hotel and I got stranded or etc.. I can complain to them with confidence...

But with HOme Office...even if one complains..there is alway this feling of vulnerability from the applicant point of view vis-a-vis the big governmenet institution called Home Office...

Sorry, perhaps I am getting a bit philosophical here....but these are just my thoughts......

Hope everyone waiting for your ILRs will hear a good news soon...

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Fri May 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Beige wrote:Congratulations Cardi! Got to say you're really very lucky! Enjoy :D
Thanks for your note, Beige.

I am now trying to research on line as to which nearby european countries I can go for a weekend holiday without neding to apply for a visa in that country....

I heard that ILR is only good gor UK..so if I want to go for holidat in Europe I stil will need to apply for Bloody visas..(excuse my french....)

On the other note...ILR makes you feel relaxed and RELIEVED odf pressure of having thoughts that each time when UK visas expire need to apply for another extention etc....but with ILR it all sems to dissappear somewhere...feels very Relieved...

I really hope you will get your ILR vey very soon.....

aman5

Post by aman5 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Congratulations Cardi....must say that was really quick and hope such quick decisions by the UKBA become a norm, rather than an exception, in the days to come....

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Fri May 14, 2010 8:24 pm

aman5 wrote:Congratulations Cardi....must say that was really quick and hope such quick decisions by the UKBA become a norm, rather than an exception, in the days to come....

Thank you Aman5!!!

I am thinking/speculating perhaps this the timeline HO is applying due to their new boss coming on board....(Teresa May)...although this mght not be true...

May be it was just mere luck that my application got put on top of the pile/queue where it got picked up first...I really dont know....

I remember when i applied for my SAR file, i called them few days after I sent SAR request..and the gentlemen on the other lin advised me that "Currently they have got a backlog of 3000 SAR requests..and that they are receving on a daily basis approximately 300 SAR applicants..and that they are staffed only for 150 SAR applicants a day..."...so I asked him is my SAr application is on the queue of 3001 then? to which he replied tha they aredealing with applcations on a daily basis as they come...So they receive 300 files they deal with them straight away as they are staffed for 150 and I assume the remining 150 gets put to the queue of 3000....

...so I am assuming may be they apply the same technique for ILR applications...depends whose ILR application is happened to be on top of the queue....who knows....

..I am now quite occupied with looking for some nice holidays abroad...in sunny countries...trying to find out which country I can go with my ILR without requireing any visa for that country? Aman5, Do you know any countries which recognize UK's ILR where I dont need any visa enter that country for holiday pls?

Anybody knows the above? Please help...

sweet_pea
Newly Registered

Post by sweet_pea » Fri May 14, 2010 8:47 pm

Cardi wrote: ..I am now quite occupied with looking for some nice holidays abroad...in sunny countries...trying to find out which country I can go with my ILR without requireing any visa for that country? Aman5, Do you know any countries which recognize UK's ILR where I dont need any visa enter that country for holiday pls?

The same restrictions apply as normal for travel so you would have to apply for visas as you used to before ILR. The only "freedom" you have is the ability to work unrestricted and live freely in the UK. :roll:

You appear to have a very good relationship with UKBA. Not only does it take only 2 weeks to get your ILR, you obtain more information from the helpline from anyone who has attempted to query their SAR application. What's your secret?

Geostar2010
Newly Registered

Post by Geostar2010 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:53 pm

Try Chanel islands lol :lol: get offline and celebrate!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 pm

sweet_pea wrote: You appear to have a very good relationship with UKBA. Not only does it take only 2 weeks to get your ILR, you obtain more information from the helpline from anyone who has attempted to query their SAR application. What's your secret?
LOL

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Fri May 14, 2010 9:29 pm

sweet_pea wrote:
Cardi wrote: ..I am now quite occupied with looking for some nice holidays abroad...in sunny countries...trying to find out which country I can go with my ILR without requireing any visa for that country? Aman5, Do you know any countries which recognize UK's ILR where I dont need any visa enter that country for holiday pls?

The same restrictions apply as normal for travel so you would have to apply for visas as you used to before ILR. The only "freedom" you have is the ability to work unrestricted and live freely in the UK. :roll:

You appear to have a very good relationship with UKBA. Not only does it take only 2 weeks to get your ILR, you obtain more information from the helpline from anyone who has attempted to query their SAR application. What's your secret?

Yeah, I remember calling this 084...number for SAR queries...hen I called this number there was an automatic answer..."We appreciae your patience..you are on the queue..all ofour adviser are busy..please wait...your call may be recorded for training and quality purposes...bla bla bla..etc..) was on hold for about 10 minutes and then I hang up....

..checked my mobile charge on my mobile...and was charged just for this 10 minute waitig call about £8 pounds something...and even never got to talk to anybody....couldnt afford paying 8 punds each time I call and put on hold....

On my mobile I get unlimited calls to landline numbers...so I digged up some random 0207 number from the Ho website...and calledthe number..told the guy on the line that I need to talk to SARdepartment...he didnt know what SAR is...so I explained him...then he got really excited and put me on hold to find out the relevant extention number....then the line cutt offf...

I called him again..he applogized and said he found out the department who deals with SARs..and put me throught to somebody...the smebody on the other line happened to be not the Helpline answerer..but he happened to be the actual person who actually processes the SARs...

SO I dont know..each person seems to have their own experiences....

..I am still looking for some nice sunny holidays....

...thinking of applying for French schengen visa in french embasyy....hopefully it will not be too stressfulll.....

ILR-2010

Post by ILR-2010 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:18 am

wow congrats Cardi.....urs are truly miracle....
I applied in early February still haven't heard anything yet....(I'm also holding 10yrs student visa no WP or watsoever,
I wish can be a little bit lucky,just like you....
again so happy for you...

One question,
I assumed your are straight forward case,no gap no issues....,rite?

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Sat May 15, 2010 10:27 am

ILR-2010 wrote:wow congrats Cardi.....urs are truly miracle....
I applied in early February still haven't heard anything yet....(I'm also holding 10yrs student visa no WP or watsoever,
I wish can be a little bit lucky,just like you....
again so happy for you...

One question,
I assumed your are straight forward case,no gap no issues....,rite?
Hi ILR-2010, Thanks a lot for your message...

No I didnt have any gaps at all...

The only thing is that 5 years ago I had an ILR refusal...

...some of my university groupmates (who was a qualified Barrister at the time...advised me that since I have been in UK for 5 years I am eligible for ILR..he even helped to print out the form and fill it out...etc..but I got a refusal...because as a 5 year student visa you are not eligible for ILR..only if you have been on work permits...I did tell to my Barrister friend that I am on STUDENT visa for all these 5 years but he was quite sure I am eligible for ILR so I went along with his advise in thinking he is a barrister so he knows...but he was wrong...

Luckily when I received ILR refusal I still had leave to remain as a student for 4 or 5more months...so I didnt have any gaps during 10 year....

I am sure you will hear some good news very soon....

sweet_pea
Newly Registered

Post by sweet_pea » Sat May 15, 2010 11:28 am

Well my dear Cardi, I must admit at first I didn't believe your story. Your first couple of posts were to attack a regular user on this thread (even when this person had apologised and admitted that they had acted out of character with a "angry post") then you disappeared as quickly as you arrived. I also became also suspicious when you didn't know that ILR did not extend to visa free travelling. Then there's the poor spelling and grammar which if you've been a student for 10 years (but even I am guilty of that sometimes). So I thought you were trolling.

However you've dealt with each question quite admirably and with conviction. I believe your last post to hold the answer as to why your application was dealt with so quickly. UKBA had already processed an ILR application for you 5 years ago therefore only had a further 5 years to "research" further. So I apologise for my initial doubts.

Though I still find it very hard to believe it was so quick. It was 2 weeks before I got my acknowledgement letter. But is that me being jealous? :wink:

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Sat May 15, 2010 12:08 pm

sweet_pea wrote:Well my dear Cardi, I must admit at first I didn't believe your story. Your first couple of posts were to attack a regular user on this thread (even when this person had apologised and admitted that they had acted out of character with a "angry post") then you disappeared as quickly as you arrived. I also became also suspicious when you didn't know that ILR did not extend to visa free travelling. Then there's the poor spelling and grammar which if you've been a student for 10 years (but even I am guilty of that sometimes). So I thought you were trolling.

However you've dealt with each question quite admirably and with conviction. I believe your last post to hold the answer as to why your application was dealt with so quickly. UKBA had already processed an ILR application for you 5 years ago therefore only had a further 5 years to "research" further. So I apologise for my initial doubts.

Though I still find it very hard to believe it was so quick. It was 2 weeks before I got my acknowledgement letter. But is that me being jealous? :wink:

Aah, dont worry Sweet_pea, no need to apologize....

Actually, I found myself really in such a state of mind that I was very surprised myself for such a quick result...was in dilemma of mixed feelings of Celebration and also at the same time feeling a bit awkward that itcame really quickly...I cant even explain this feeling by putting into words....

This morning, I even actually started to believe in some kind of Supernatural Spiritual Forces or Powers...may be there are some nice positive powers in the Universe which do some sort of majic things to influence HO caseworkers...I relaly dont know.. I ay sound a bit bonkers...but thats what I am starting to beieve now...

I am also thiking that the more people wish you some nice THOUGHTS dor sucess the better..I am starting to belive into the POWER OF THOUGHTS...I think positive thoughts and positive Wishes do Materialise...

I never believe into these things..but believe it or not..I am now starting to belive....

In my country of origin...we have a tradition...when somebody is going to go to an Army or to a long distance trip or somebody had a new baby...the parents invite lots of relatives and friends to get "thier blessing and good Wishes.." so that their good and positive thght will helpk the person at question in his or her endeavours....

..So I really dont know...these are just my thoughts....

On the other note...My acknowledgment letter arrived 4 working days later...the letter was dated the same day when they deducted the money.....I belive they sent the letter from Durham..I am based in London...so probably depends on where the applicant based geographicaly...

ILR-2010

Post by ILR-2010 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:01 pm

kkk...I totally agree with your philosophical thinking Cardi...from my friends experiences did show me one thing, those always thinking negatively seem to attract more bad luck,
on the other hand those with positive attitude towards everything, even times when things don't go the way they wanted,as long as they still keep up with the positive thinking they still get it in the end. So I hope everyone here who suffer from this dreadful waiting, don't be defeat by the negative force, after all we do need a little bit of luck for this matter,don't we?

just out of curiosity,Cardi..Did you go to Oxbridge?cos one of my friend who read economics there (BA/MA/PHD) applied ILR Under 10 yrs student visa got hers in 3weeks....

Again congratulations!!!! :lol:

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Sat May 15, 2010 3:30 pm

ILR-2010 wrote:Did you go to Oxbridge?cos one of my friend who read economics there (BA/MA/PHD) applied ILR Under 10 yrs student visa got hers in 3weeks....
Did she attach her qualifications to her application?

DEVONIAN

Post by DEVONIAN » Sat May 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Although I've congratulated Cardi on this forum, my gut instinct continues to tell me he might be HO or UKBA staff wanting to pacify people on this site. Either way, it's incredibly a rapid response ILR approval!

ILR-2010

Post by ILR-2010 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Beige wrote:
ILR-2010 wrote:Did you go to Oxbridge?cos one of my friend who read economics there (BA/MA/PHD) applied ILR Under 10 yrs student visa got hers in 3weeks....
Did she attach her qualifications to her application?
Yeh,she did (first class & Distinction) also she got references from her professors and she interned in several international organisations, she provided references from there as well, HO system also has records of all her studying info

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Sat May 15, 2010 4:09 pm

I wish I had done the same! Gutted..!!

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Sat May 15, 2010 5:05 pm

ILR-2010 wrote:kkk...I totally agree with your philosophical thinking Cardi...from my friends experiences did show me one thing, those always thinking negatively seem to attract more bad luck,
on the other hand those with positive attitude towards everything, even times when things don't go the way they wanted,as long as they still keep up with the positive thinking they still get it in the end. So I hope everyone here who suffer from this dreadful waiting, don't be defeat by the negative force, after all we do need a little bit of luck for this matter,don't we?

just out of curiosity,Cardi..Did you go to Oxbridge?cos one of my friend who read economics there (BA/MA/PHD) applied ILR Under 10 yrs student visa got hers in 3weeks....

Again congratulations!!!! :lol:

Yes ILR-2010, Positive thinking is very important...also when other people wish you Positive wishes and when they have positive thoughts about you, then that is even more important in terms of their thoughts influencing things/success happening in your life....so I totally agree with you and share the same thoughts as you....

Actually I am quite surprised you asked me this question...yes I did MSc in International Relations at Cambridge Uni...Wolfson College....back in 2001....it was 2 year course...first year was taught programme where I had to attend lectures and tutorials.whereas the second year was research..just had to work on my thesis and just had to keep in touch with my primery and the secondary supervisors to update them as to my progress....

(I remember I went to HO in 2001 to extend my student visa together with the acceptance letter from Camr Uni which said my course is 2 years...but the HO gave me only 1 year visa...and I remember I was quite angry and told the caseworker why only 1 year visa when my course is 2 years?...then he said "we will see your progress after 1 year and see what happends then..")

So had to extend again after 1 year...

But the problem with MSc (Masters of Science) even if it is from Cabr. uni it was very difficult for me to get any job offers....that is why I continued to stay on student visas all of thwe 10 years...

....The problem is with MSC (inernat.relations) you can only get some jobat some inernational organisations..United Nations..WTO...IMF..etc...and there is a fierce competition even for Inernships..and een if you get a job...it pays you nuttsss....

So i had to do some other degrees afterwards...did my LLM....anybody here did any LLM? would be nice to share experiencess....

my last degree on the basis of which i extended my last 10th year of my student visas was based on PhD as welll....the good thing with PhDs is that you have a chance for 3 years visa extension...my PhD was 3 years...I dont know how bout your frieds'? Is it the same length?

(With PhDs, I personally find it ery boring and lonely degree...nobody to talk to...you are just on your own with your main supervisors whom you se may be twice a year....just contact via e-mail..etc..)

So yes thats my story ILR-2010....how about you?

Cardi
Newly Registered

Post by Cardi » Sat May 15, 2010 5:21 pm

DEVONIAN wrote:Although I've congratulated Cardi on this forum, my gut instinct continues to tell me he might be HO or UKBA staff wanting to pacify people on this site. Either way, it's incredibly a rapid response ILR approval!
I totally understand you DEVONIAN...

I am myself extremely suspecious person....although most of the time I am very trusting....but at the same time I can be very suspecious...and always have to double triple check things before making desicions or before agreeing with people's point of view etc...So I totally understand your sceptisism.....

If I had to wait for y ILR for 5- 6 months and somebody turns in to this site and announces that she or he gor the ILR in a matter of 2 and half weeks....I would have just told him or her that he is playing on other peoples nerves and would have just told him or her to go away and get lost....something along these lines....

But I dont have to convince anybody here on the site as to my ILR story....I just got it yesterday...and spoke to my family and close friends on the phone only...couldnt meet my friends straight away as they are busy working...

...So we agreed to meet next week...I am meeting quite a few of my friends next week...then I should be able to tell them and to get everything off my chest when I actually meet then in person...(as talking on the phone...one cant really tell everything how you feel....

..SO I havent met with any of my friends in person yet...thats why I have just been sending e-mails to my friends...and have alos been wrting here on this site...to get all of my thoughts/excitements of mu chest....

I think from next week onwards after I have met with all of my friends...I will probably forget this site and move on to Cirizenshop section....

Good Luck with your ILR DEVONIAN....