ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Acquiring British citizenship and Indian OCI

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

rnr79
Member of Standing

Acquiring British citizenship and Indian OCI

Post by rnr79 » Thu May 20, 2010 3:25 pm

I have recently got my ILR , thanks to this forum which was very helpful to prepare my application. I was just looking to see what i need to do for British Cistizenship when i am eligible. I found on wikipedia , some info as below:

Acquiring Overseas citizenship of India prevents British nationals from registering as full British citizens under Section 4B of the British Nationality Act of 1981 (which requires that nationals have no other citizenship in order to register.) It does not prevent them from acquiring full British citizenship by a different method and it does not revoke their British citizenship if they have already registered under Section 4B.

I dont understand what does this mean exactly. Does this mean If want to get full British Citizenship i can not hold Indian OCI status?

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Sat May 22, 2010 7:58 pm

You can apply for British Citizenship but you will lose your Indian Citizenship as India does not allow dual nationality. However, you are eligible to apply for OCI after acquiring British Citizenship.

Good luck

mrlookforward
BANNED

Re: Acquiring British citizenship and Indian OCI

Post by mrlookforward » Sat May 22, 2010 11:03 pm

rnr79 wrote:I have recently got my ILR , thanks to this forum which was very helpful to prepare my application. I was just looking to see what i need to do for British Cistizenship when i am eligible. I found on wikipedia , some info as below:

Acquiring Overseas citizenship of India prevents British nationals from registering as full British citizens under Section 4B of the British Nationality Act of 1981 (which requires that nationals have no other citizenship in order to register.) It does not prevent them from acquiring full British citizenship by a different method and it does not revoke their British citizenship if they have already registered under Section 4B.

I dont understand what does this mean exactly. Does this mean If want to get full British Citizenship i can not hold Indian OCI status?
It doesnt mean anything for you. Section 4B is about registering as British Citizen by certain categories of people. You are not going to register as British Citizen, you are going to apply for naturalisation. So, you will be NATURALISED AS A BRITISH CITIZEN and not REGISTERED AS BRITISH CITIZEN.
So section 4B has nothing to do with you, forget about it and move on.