ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

basis

Post by basis » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:59 pm

mhunjn - I have done it on four occassions - all with different photoshops. One of them was of a one year old child (this I took at home in my digicam). All of them were acceptable. The photoshops know the stipulations of passport photos very well. At least that's what can conclude with my experience so far.

Good luck.

confused1

Post by confused1 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:50 pm

If you have naturalised then you can just skip the section where it asks for your parents and grand parents details. They are only required if you're claiming to be a BC by another means. Since you can provide your naturalisation certificate, you are providing an evidance that you are a BC, hence, you're eligible for a UK passport.

Just omit the section where it asks for your parents and grand parents details. Fill out the section where it asks about your Naturalisation certificate number, date of issue and place of issue. Then enclose your certificate with the application. That will be sufficient.

Read the guidance that would help you to avoid filling up unnecessary sections. As it clearly states the sections you need to fill in for your circumstances.
Good luck.

basis

Post by basis » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:04 pm

confused1 - all the points u mentioned have already been discussed and we have sort of come to conclusion that there is one version of the application form that is not as clear as the other version/s.

aix

Post by aix » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:19 pm

I spoke to UKPS earlier today, and have been told that they do in fact require ancestry details (section 4B) for first-time naturalisation-based application. To me this makes little sense, but this is what I have been told by a UKPS official.

I have also been told that the version of the form that I have (a scan of which I have posted a couple of messages back) is the most recent revision. This revision does not have the "unless..." wording.

Make of it what you like...

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:32 pm

Makes absolutely no sense . They can't be checking to see if you already have a claim to british citzenship as the naturalisation process would have done that !

Maybe this is some security thing that requires the details of parents. Itis beyond me to work out exactly what utility this info would have for anyone though.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:10 pm

I can see the logic in it, sort of!! I suppose that by asking for more information than they need to determine the nationality claim, they're more likely to uncover a "ringer", who isn't actually the person named on the certificate...

But I don't believe it. I suspect that the person on the helpline was doing what people on helplines do best - making it up as they go along. :) If they seriously mean that, why didn't they change the online application -which skips over "ancestry" questions when the applicant acquired BC by naturalisation?
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:03 pm

mhunjn wrote:For those who have applied, how particular are the UKPS people about the dimensions for the photo for the application?... asin, dimensions?... do they allow for a few 'mm' variation?...
So far as I can gather from the recent experiences of a number of contacts who have applied, they are extremely inflexible, following the changes in requirements that were announced last year. The changes were at least partly prompted by the demands of facial recognition software for biometric passports. They could show some flexibility intitally, because biometric passports weren't being issued in any case. Now that they're nearer to being issued, UKPS seem to be be verging ruthlessness on the issue!

confused1

Post by confused1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:59 am

aix wrote:I spoke to UKPS earlier today, and have been told that they do in fact require ancestry details (section 4B) for first-time naturalisation-based application. To me this makes little sense, but this is what I have been told by a UKPS official.

I have also been told that the version of the form that I have (a scan of which I have posted a couple of messages back) is the most recent revision. This revision does not have the "unless..." wording.

Make of it what you like...
Hello there, if you read the guidance that comes with the application form called "How to fill in your passport application form" then on 'Note 4' it states

'We need to know if you are British'.

If you keep reading further towards the end of the paragraph it outlines "If you have applied to the Home Office and have been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation, do not fill in this section. Please fill in section 5".

The section 5 asks for the details of the registration or naturalisation certificate. That demonstrates you are a British citizen.

It's strange why the UKPA asked you to fill that section! But, just to avoid any confussion no body stops you from filling them in. :roll:

confused1

Post by confused1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:03 am

lemess wrote:Makes absolutely no sense . They can't be checking to see if you already have a claim to british citzenship as the naturalisation process would have done that !

Maybe this is some security thing that requires the details of parents. Itis beyond me to work out exactly what utility this info would have for anyone though.
I agree with you :)

confused1

Post by confused1 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:06 am

Did any one, whp applied for a new passport recently, received the passport that has got a Chip in it :?: UKPA says they are giving them out to limited number of applicants at the moment.

aix

Post by aix » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:39 am

confused1,
'We need to know if you are British'.

If you keep reading further towards the end of the paragraph it outlines "If you have applied to the Home Office and have been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation, do not fill in this section. Please fill in section 5".
Once again, there seem to be several revisions of the paperwork in circulation. My guidance notes do not have this wording. Note 4 of guidance notes in entitled "British nationality" and begins with the words "We need to know parents' details for: * first time passport applications; ...".

If UKPS is to be believed, what I have in front of me is the latest version of the application pack.

aix

Post by aix » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:41 am

The most convicing argument I've heard so far is ppron747's; surely, if this information was required, the online form would reflect this. However, this disagrees with what I've been told by UKPS.

Anyone care to call UKPS and get a second opinion from them?

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:51 am

Aix,
Wouldn't is jst be less hassle to just provide that info - if only as protection against some over officious UKPS employee who rocesses your app ?

aix

Post by aix » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:19 am

Good point. I can't speak for anyone else, but my plan is to provide parents' details regardless of the outcome of this discussion. It's grandparents' detaiils that are tricky (and were the subject of my initial inquiry)...

confused1

Post by confused1 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:47 pm

UKPA made a mistake :evil:

As you know once you send you application they scans it through to put it in to their system. Well they got my house number wrong. For example, my hose number should be '47' where as they put it as only'7'.

So.. I need to get it sorted :roll:

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:00 pm

I hate to prolong the agony of the topic of the ancestry thing, but out of interest I picked up an application form at Globe House (UKPS HQ) today and that famous Note 4 says (beginning on line 8 of the body text)
"If you have applied to the Home Office and you have been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation, do not fill in this section. Please fill in section 5."

aix

Post by aix » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:50 am

Good spot, ppron747 :lol:

This is largely academic, but I have two versions of the guidance notes, and I think the one you are reffering to is the older of the two. If you look in the bottom right corner of page 8, you'll see something like "IL/xx xx.xx". I bet yours says IL/14 09.05.

At a guess, 14 is the revision number, and 09.05 are month and year respectively.

The second version I have is IL/15 02.06, and I am conjecturing it's the newer revision. In it, Note 4 is much shorter and makes no mention of naturalisation.

Again, to me this is academic as I'm going to fill section 4B anyway (except grandparents' details).

basis

Post by basis » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:08 am

aix wrote:Again, to me this is academic as I'm going to fill section 4B anyway (except grandparents' details).
Way to go aix. good luck.

skmd
Newly Registered

Post by skmd » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:03 pm

I agree with aix, the most recent version of guidance notes is IL/15 02.06 (Feb 2006). I filled my application same way i.e. 4B with no details of grandparents.

Latest version of UKPA form available from PostOffice is 01/06 (Jan 2006).

aix

Post by aix » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:23 pm

skmd, out of interest, has your application been successful, or are you waiting to hear back from UKPS?

confused1

Post by confused1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:48 am

Hello guys... think some of you might find this interesting to know... I have applied for a UK passport through check and send service...which aims to process the application within 2 weeks...

However, the UK passport authority have picked me, just like they do randomly, to further check my details. They are checking with my Referee whether he really supported my application :D Hence, now it's taking more than 2 weeks....

Altough... it's a prioritised service..if you send it through check and send service... but it's not guranteed... No I'm not blaming them.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:18 am

I am having the same experience... so it's not only you that they have picked on...

I guess they just pick up random applications and do all the background checks.. refrees etc etc...
Glad to know that I am not alone... !... 8)

aix

Post by aix » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:12 pm

Out of interest, how did you find out that this is what they're doing? Did you call UKPS?

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:03 am

My friend who signed my application and photo told me he has had two letters enquiring about his job etc etc...

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:40 pm

i faced no problem
went through check and send

applied on the 25th of feb and got my passport on the 8th of march, it was issued on the 2nd of march