ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

employed or self employed is there a difference when claimin

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mastersimon
Newly Registered

employed or self employed is there a difference when claimin

Post by mastersimon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:25 am

Hello everyone ! can someone please explain me are all these benefit rules apply to EEA residents when they self-employed as well ? as we have the same problem my wife is an eea national, and i'm a non EEA i've applied for EEA2 but it was refused this spring (after 18 months of waiting) since she was self sufficent but had no health insurance, she has been a self employed for a couple of months now, paying her national insurance contributions to the goverment,we have reapllied to EEA2. Now I was made redundent last month and lost a well payed job, now got to find anything realy, but wont be enough to support us, is it possible to claim CTC WTC for us ? we currently claiming CB, i'm i allowed to claim job seekers allowance since i was made redundant and paid a lot of taxes
Thank you

John

Post by John » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 pm

How many hours per week is your wife working? Just trying to work out whether .... nothing to do with immigration issues ..... there is an entitled to claim WTC.
John

mastersimon
Newly Registered

Post by mastersimon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:22 pm

not many as she's doing avon catalogs, about 4 hours a week, i have found that i'm not allowed to claim any jobseekers allowance, but we can probably make a joint clams on wtc ctc once i'll get a job ? i'm i right ?
thanks john

John

Post by John » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 pm

The two of you can jointly claim Child Tax Credit now, and then when one or both of you is working a lot more hours than your wife is working at the moment, report a change of circumstances to the Tax Credits office, and WTC should get added to the claim.

More detail on the www.hmrc.gov.uk website.
John

mastersimon
Newly Registered

Post by mastersimon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:15 pm

thank you john, thats what we will do

kishan
Newly Registered

Re: employed or self employed is there a difference when cla

Post by kishan » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:18 pm

hi for wtc any one hve to work 16 or more hours per week
mastersimon wrote:Hello everyone ! can someone please explain me are all these benefit rules apply to EEA residents when they self-employed as well ? as we have the same problem my wife is an eea national, and i'm a non EEA i've applied for EEA2 but it was refused this spring (after 18 months of waiting) since she was self sufficent but had no health insurance, she has been a self employed for a couple of months now, paying her national insurance contributions to the goverment,we have reapllied to EEA2. Now I was made redundent last month and lost a well payed job, now got to find anything realy, but wont be enough to support us, is it possible to claim CTC WTC for us ? we currently claiming CB, i'm i allowed to claim job seekers allowance since i was made redundant and paid a lot of taxes
Thank you

mastersimon
Newly Registered

Post by mastersimon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:21 pm

thanks kishan i'm looking for a full time anyway