ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 status in CV

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nks

Tier 1 status in CV

Post by nks » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if its a good idea to mention that you have Tier 1 in very start of CV. Hope it does not confuse consultants.

Thanks,
nks

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:16 pm

It is a good idea to include the Work Permit status in the first page. Generally if you applying through a job portal , the first page would be from your filled details regarding the Date of Birth, Work Permit held etc.. There will an option called view the resume as the recruiters see it. Try it

Shepherd

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:43 pm

gd_Shepherd wrote:...the first page would be from your filled details regarding the Date of Birth, Work Permit held etc.

Shepherd
Sorry Shepherd but I have to contradict based on personal experience. :)
The only personal details to mention on first page of CV is your email ID and contact Number nothing more.
All other details will be asked during initial screening and while setting up a possible interview date - this is true for direct company applications as well as job portals for agencies. These days, either the job advert asks if you can legally work or, even if you mention in the CV, the first question they ask is Can you work here and if yes, then what visa.....that's all...

As a person who hires and has attended a kazillion interviews, this is the feedback I got on how agencies/companies come to know if you are a true professional or not. At initial screening, they are not interested in your DOB, current/expected salary, UK Address or Visa status. It clutters your CV with un-required info and just bloats it up which they dont appreciate.

It is assumed you apply knowing very well what is required to apply. If your CV is good enough, they will pick it up and call you for personal details

Cheers
KP

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 am

If my vote counts, I'll go with kenfrapin!

Unless you are working in a sector / industry where 2+ page CV is the norm, you may well find enough space to include such personal details, but on a 1-2 page CV ... ?? And that too on the top?

Ask yourself - are your professional achievements more important or your DOB / visa? Which one is more likely to get you to that important interview room?

regards

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:34 am

The only personal details to mention on first page of CV is your email ID and contact Number nothing more.
I was not advising the OP to include these details into the CV but mentioning that the filled in details in the jobsite's personal details section get prefixed to the original CV (it is automatic) and hence it appears in the first page if one were to apply a job through jobsites. It is visible when asked for the option: "Send me the resume as the recruiter sees it". May be each website has their own specific way of doing it

P.S: Your posts are very informative and I regularly follow it. Cheers.

Shepherd

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:39 am

Aaah yes Shepherd thats right. Your initial post wasnt that clear and I think the OP wanted to know if its acceptable to include it anyway.

Always good to have a preview of how your CV looks to the recruiter as well before confirming your CV upload - one final chance to catch any glaringly stupid mistake that went unnoticed :oops:

KP

pyke

Post by pyke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:30 pm

kenfrapin wrote:
gd_Shepherd wrote:...the first page would be from your filled details regarding the Date of Birth, Work Permit held etc.

Shepherd
All other details will be asked during initial screening and while setting up a possible interview date - this is true for direct company applications as well as job portals for agencies. These days, either the job advert asks if you can legally work or, even if you mention in the CV, the first question they ask is Can you work here and if yes, then what visa.....that's all...

As a person who hires and has attended a kazillion interviews, this is the feedback I got on how agencies/companies come to know if you are a true professional or not. At initial screening, they are not interested in your DOB, current/expected salary, UK Address or Visa status. It clutters your CV with un-required info and just bloats it up which they dont appreciate.

It is assumed you apply knowing very well what is required to apply. If your CV is good enough, they will pick it up and call you for personal details

Cheers
KP
That's interesting. May I ask if it applies to those without UK work experience too? Does that apply when sending it directly to employers rather than an agent too?

I've always assumed that if you don't have UK work experience, it's best to include your visa status and address in the personal details section as all that foreign work experience that follows will definitely stick out like a sore thumb and may be cause for concern. Hence, including your visa status provides assurance that you can legally seek employment and the address serves to indirectly inform them that you are in the country.

Nationality isn't required either?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:52 am

All you need to put initially is your UK Contact Number and Email id - thats it!!!

Let your CV do the talking then let the agent decide your skills alone are good and then let that agent pick the phone and call you.

Only then, when you have the agent on the phone, work your magic and impress him/her, let them know of your Legal work status. No need to mention at all you dont have any UK experience unless they ask specifically. In fact, dont give out any info unless they ask for it - why bother giving additional info if they never ask? And nationality - no way dude!

Why do you want to put your visa status, nationality, no UK Exp on the CV and give the agent a chance to make a preconceived impression even before they speak to you? All they need initially is to know if you have the skills and then the rest is discussed when they call you.

Also, when you apply directly on Company websites, most of the good ones ask all these standard questions as part of their registration form and then ask to upload the CV - which again clarifies that CVs are only meant for your skills and not personal info.

If you want a job, be smart 8)

KP

nks

Post by nks » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:41 pm

On the same note : how about UK references if we have any..does it make sense to have them in CV?

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:00 pm

nks wrote:On the same note : how about UK references if we have any..does it make sense to have them in CV?
References would be asked for in the interview. Hence you could say in the References section as "Available on Request" instead of publicizing it on the CV

Shepherd

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:31 pm

nks wrote:On the same note : how about UK references if we have any..does it make sense to have them in CV?
Don't include references. The agent will call them up and try and place someone in your old job!

They are without scruples.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:23 am

Wanderer wrote: Don't include references. The agent will call them up and try and place someone in your old job!

They are without scruples.....
Heed to Wanderer's advice - if you make public your CV with references, these agents will try and hunt down where you work and who manages you. They will then inform them you are leaving and they can get someone far better to replace you - remember, they do this whether you have secured a new job or not which means your current job will be in jeopardy!!!

KP