ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is PSW Going.....AWAY...What Govt Thinking

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NiceCareing

Is PSW Going.....AWAY...What Govt Thinking

Post by NiceCareing » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:14 am

Many people are suggesting that New Conservative will Take away PSW or reduce the duration from 2 years to 1 year!!

Any one has Heard any similar stories or some one has any inside information?

I am soo worried that we all students who will graduate this year (September/October) will be affected with this...

Any information !! Please share authentic information :roll:

vinata

Post by vinata » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:17 am

I personally think that the new government might start issuing psw visas only to those who graduated form certain universities or completed certain courses. This review had been started by the previous government, and is now taken over by the coalition government. So, it is highly likely that not all universities will qualify to psw visa in the future. But until after the changes are announced, nobody will know for sure.

potterbond007
Member of Standing

Post by potterbond007 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:31 pm

I heard that it is going to be reduced to 1 year too. However until this happens, nothing can be said for sure.

rahul12345

Post by rahul12345 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:36 am

Hi potterbond007,

>I heard that it is going to be reduced to 1 year too. However until this happens, nothing can be said for sure.

Do you think the new changes (reduce PSW to 1 year) will be applicable to those graduating this year? I mean can we assume that changes to PSW will only be applicable to new students starting courses in September 2010 and not to old students?

Thanks.

pswman
Newly Registered

Post by pswman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:27 am

also do you think this change will be implemented in flash like they implemented changes for Tier 1 General Criteria, its very worring for some of my friends

amit_mahay

Post by amit_mahay » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:14 pm

if it does happen...its going to happen in a flash...ukba does not give a crap about anyone....all they are bothered about are the EU members........welcome to england brother!! lol

potterbond007
Member of Standing

Post by potterbond007 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Even if it doesn't happen in a flash, I believe that they would implement it about the time that the graduation season would start. But dont start worrying as yet since nothing is definite as of now.

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 am

its a lengthy process and nothing happens in a "flash". its a democratic country and rules need to pass through parliament etc etc before coming into force.

i would say, nothing is gonna happen in , atleast, in next 6 months.

regards

sam-zen

Post by sam-zen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:08 pm

its inside news.nothing happend sep2010.after that might change but its not one years stell two years.coz scotland need more student,they cant change like that.so dont worry...
SAM JORDY

DirtyBlondeLucy
Newly Registered

Change in Flash

Post by DirtyBlondeLucy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 am

Hey arsenal49

you have seen Conservatives put English language test for partners from abroad in flash you really think Govt need Parliament approval to change PSW time limit from 2 to 1 year ?

Hey guys [b]please put your thoughts[/b] its interesting topic .

Lucy

rahul12345

Post by rahul12345 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:51 am

Hi,

>you have seen Conservatives put English language test for partners from abroad in flash

Not sure if this is true. I may be incorrect as I just heard this thing from a friend. My understanding is that a) It is not applicable with immediate effect. b) Applicable only to UK passport holder marrying some foreigner, so it means it is not applicable to someone on visa in UK marrying a foreigner.

Another argument against PSW changes in flash (told by my unversity) is that Universities will probably be told in bit advance as they have to include that information in advertisement.

But like rest of those aspiring for PSW, I remain skeptical and think that flash changes are possible. One question though. If flash changes are indeed introduced then is there some argument (that makes sense to most of the people and hence possibly to the judge as well) for going to courts against it. For example "Student entered in 2009 came here on the understanding of 2 year psw, so govt can not change rules for them".

Thanks.

NiceCareing

Post by NiceCareing » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi
Previous Labour govt always asked Migration Advisory Committee to look into tier 1 2 and other maters and asked for Migration Advisory Committee recommendations. Current Cons govt also yesterday asked Migration Advisory Committee to carry out consultations on cap imposed on non EU highly skilled migrants.

[b]Migration Advisory Committee in its “Analysis of point based system tier 1â€

Bud2010
Newly Registered

Govt can change the PSW soon if they want but they shouldn't

Post by Bud2010 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:34 pm

In an age where online distance-learning is becoming more popular and good universities have branches open everywhere in the world, I think the 2-year PSW visa is certainly an important pull-factor for non-EU students to come to study in Britain. It's an incentive that can be easily dangled in front of prospective students yet at the same time is not necessarily taken by them. Changing the PSW to something that is less attractive will not be good for Britain.

2009 statistics showed that British universities were being funded by foreign students (non-EU students) more than by the UK Government itself. Non-EU students obviously pay much, much higher fees than UK citizens or EU citizens. They also help push forward the economy of towns and cities with universities. All the foreign money that the students are bringing into the UK economy is not something that the Conservatives should reject. It didn't really require the MAC to tell the Government that, but I'm happy that the MAC did do so.

I wonder when will the UK public realize that these students are not the problem. They should take more notice of ILLEGAL immigrants who don't care about what the immigration laws say anyway.

accastudent

Post by accastudent » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:00 am

Totally agree with Bud2010, Overseas students not only bring money to this country but providing skilled labour ( working part time), pay taxes on them, hundreds of colleges and universities are dependent on tuition fees from foreign students, they are not entitled to benefits or free accommodation like they are spending millions on asylum seekers. Due to bad press in last two years, when it comes to immigration, they talk abt students. If there were bogus colleges it was because of poor governance from relevant bodies, not students from South Asia or AFRICA were running those colleges.
M W ALI