ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Statistics on International Students

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Statistics on International Students

Post by mahdyhasan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:57 am

anyone has any idea where I can get the statistics (actual or average; either will work) on international students?

I think this is the right place to ask as I couldn't find any other appropriate place to open this thread :?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:45 am

tall_funky
BANNED

Re: Statistics on International Students

Post by tall_funky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:40 am

mahdyhasan wrote:anyone has any idea where I can get the statistics (actual or average; either will work) on international students?
and may we ask, what you plan to do with it??

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Post by mahdyhasan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:19 am

sushdmehta wrote:Immigration and Asylum Statistics

regards

thanx mate...lemme check it out..

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Re: Statistics on International Students

Post by mahdyhasan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:20 am

tall_funky wrote:
mahdyhasan wrote:anyone has any idea where I can get the statistics (actual or average; either will work) on international students?
and may we ask, what you plan to do with it??

I need some figures for a documentary on International students :)

ChilliS
Newly Registered

Post by ChilliS » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:56 pm

I guess it will be pretty difficult to get figures and statistics on students studying abroad. I guess every university makes it's own statistics (if even) and I don't think the data get consolidated. At leats not in certain countries. But maybe you can find information about specific programs like Erasmus. I'm pretty sure the European Union has statistics about the Erasmus exchange figures. This could be a start for you :)
Last edited by ChilliS on Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahdyhasan
Newly Registered

Post by mahdyhasan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:58 pm

ChilliS wrote:I guess it will be pretty difficult to get figures and statistics on students studying abroad. I guess every university makes it's own statistics (if even) and I don't think the data get consolidated. At leats not in certain countries. But maybe you can find information about specific programs like Erasmus. I'm pretty sure the European Union has statistics about the Erasmus exchange figures. This could be a start for you :)

Thanx..

I am actually not considering the students from EEA nationals as they don't need visas to get in UK.. I will give my audience a rough idea on how many students (Non-EEA) came in 2009 and in 2010 so far. In that case, the link sushdmehta provided is quite useful. HO publishes immigration statistics in every quarter. I have the latest statistics (till September 2010) on my hand..

let me give you an idea: (all figures are approximate)
In 2009, 340,000 came in the UK to study where 270,000 were non-EEA.
278,000 students were admitted from January'10 to September'10, where 220,000 were Non-EEA.. figure shows that almost 79% students who were admitted in UK to study came from non-EEA.. 29% came from Indian subcontinent..

well, I have't found any estimated figure for last quarter (Oct-Dec) of 2010. So, based on the previous quarters' figures, I have come up with my own estimated figures of students.

The estimated figure for the 4th quarter is 68,000. So for the year of 2010, the number of the non-EEA students will be 272,000 of total students of 345,000

Source: Research Development and Statistics (RDS) website: http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/index.html

ArgieBee
Ireland

Post by ArgieBee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:52 pm

HESA produce stats on the number of UK/EU/non-EU students enrolled on higher education courses:
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/dox/pressOffice/s ... Table1.pdf
http://www.hesa.ac.uk/dox/pressOffice/s ... Table2.pdf

The MAC report on tier 1 also had some data.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
e.g. page 46 and page 126.

Interesting on page 126, it says that non-EEA student fees contribute 8% of universities income, but according to HESA they make up about 14% of full time students.