ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendering Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lycan73
Newly Registered

Surrendering Indian passport

Post by lycan73 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 pm

I'd migrated to the UK to join my father at the age of 2, and lived there for a period of ten years, during which time I got registered as a British national (my father was a British passport holder). At the end of those ten years, however, my father decided to move back to India, and I lived a good part of my life in the country following that. Several years back, however, my family (except my father, who's now deceased) moved back to the UK. All are professionals (doctors) and acquired British passports based on their British registration documents and even got their OCIs (apparently, rules were different at that time). I made the move here a year back, taking a Right of Abode on my Indian passport, and I got my British passport less than a month back based on my registration certificate. However, as I now discover, contrary to my siblings, who canceled their passports and applied for an OCI at the same time, I have to first surrender my passport and submit a "certificate of naturalization" with my application for cancelation. The problem is, as I wasn't naturalized in the UK, I do not have a certificate of naturalization; rather, I have a certificate of registration that was issued to me in 1980. I would be appreciative of any suggestions as to how I should to go about surrendering my Indian passport and obtaining an OCI.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 am

Call your local VFS and check with them.

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/information.html

Hope you have not travelled on your Indian Passport after acquiring your British Passport coz you will have to pay a penalty then.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:04 pm

A British national since 1980 and continuing to claim Indian citizenship and use an Indian passport until recently?
The Citizenship Act 1955 wrote:Section 9(1): Any citizen of India who by naturalization, registration or otherwise voluntarily acquires, or has at any time between the 26th January 1950 and the commencement of this Act voluntarily acquired the citizenship of another country shall, upon such acquisition or, as the case may be, such commencement, cease to be a citizen of India.

Are you 18 or over currently? If yes, having registered as a British national when you were under 10 years of age, can you please explain how you managed to retain your Indian citizenship and possess an Indian passport without relinquishing British citizenship when you attained full age (turned 18 )?

When and where were you born? And what was the citizenship of your parents when you were born? Is your mother currently an Indian citizen? If she was an Indian citizen at the time of your birth but is no longer an Indian citizen, when did she renounce Indian citizenship?

The problem that you may face, as I see it, is that you may be accused of falsely claiming to be an Indian citizen all these years and / or forced to pay a hefty fine for using your Indian passport for travel purposes, despite acquiring British citizenship in 1980.

regards