ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKBA response regarding extension applications post Apr'11

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ukswus

Re: Reply from Richard Jackson

Post by ukswus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:53 pm

viki83 wrote:Dear Waqar,

Sorry for the delay but unfortunately, no, it will not be this week. Announcements and publications have to be co-ordinated across the whole of Government, and sometimes there are last-minute changes to the schedule which are beyond our control. The Statement of Intent will still be published by the end of February, but it will not be this week. We do have a new date pencilled in, but I am reluctant to say exactly when it is just in case it changes again.

Regards,
Richard
Richard Jackson
Immigration Policy
UK Border Agency
PO Box 3468, Sheffield, S3 8WA
Isn't it annoying!!!

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Im really disappointed that the Statement of Intent has not been released this week.

Now we have a few more terrible days of uncertainty and doubt. Im going to need a therapist after this.

pgaitonde
Member of Standing

Post by pgaitonde » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 pm

cuberoot wrote:Im really disappointed that the Statement of Intent has not been released this week.

Now we have a few more terrible days of uncertainty and doubt. Im going to need a therapist after this.
Last year the MAC rule came on Dec 4, 2009 and the official rule was announces sometime mid-march 2010...the rule started on April 6, 2010

This year the MAC rule is not coming until Feb 11 and GOD knows when are they actually going to release the official rule...

these people r seriously giving very less time for people in the UK to apply for extension...that's for definite...

I think people like me will have to go back.. :(

mtuckersa
Member of Standing

Post by mtuckersa » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:58 pm

pgaitonde wrote:
cuberoot wrote:Im really disappointed that the Statement of Intent has not been released this week.

Last year the MAC rule came on Dec 4, 2009 and the official rule was announces sometime mid-march 2010...the rule started on April 6, 2010

This year the MAC rule is not coming until Feb 11 and GOD knows when are they actually going to release the official rule...

these people r seriously giving very less time for people in the UK to apply for extension...that's for definite...

I think people like me will have to go back.. :(
why would you need to go back?

chosenaik

Post by chosenaik » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Im sorry if I'm missing something here but why are people afraid they will have to go back? Is it because we are all now older than when we apploed and people will not get the age points anymore? As apart from this we still have all the points we got when we got the visas and so will get the same points again...

Or are people worried that ILR requirement will be extended to 6 or 7 years...

Apart from the above, I dont see why anyone of us will have to go back...?

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm

chosenaik wrote:Im sorry if I'm missing something here but why are people afraid they will have to go back?
If you look back over threads on this issue many people are fearful that changes will be made to the extension criteria meaning that they will have to leave.

IMO all unfounded as history has shown that almost always people are allowed to stay/extend under the rules in place at the time of their initial application, and where this has not happened successful court cases (HSMP forum) have fought and won.

Furthermore all indications from UKBA to date have inferred that there will be no changes to extension criteria for Tier 1 holders.
Is it because we are all now older than when we apploed and people will not get the age points anymore?
That is not a concern, as age points are awarded at the time of extension at the same level they were awarded for the initial application. If you got 5 points for age at initial application, you will get 5 at extension.
Or are people worried that ILR requirement will be extended to 6 or 7 years...
There is more chance of that happening than any changes to Tier 1 extension criteria.
Apart from the above, I dont see why anyone of us will have to go back...?
Exactly, seems many people here like to stress and panic for no good reason.

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

chosenaik wrote: Or are people worried that ILR requirement will be extended to 6 or 7 years...
That is more likely scenario as this coalition government is very eager to rush everything by misusing power and then loose in court. This happened few times and recently their decision to scrap future school building programe which they lost today and high court blamed them for misuse of power.

Year required for residency is mainly governed by European Union law. I have seen it somewhere recently on EU website but do not remember where.

Manas

Post by Manas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:43 pm

manojk005 wrote: Year required for residency is mainly governed by European Union law. I have seen it somewhere recently on EU website but do not remember where.
The previous government changed the rules for minimum continuous period of stay required for Settlement in April 2006 (from 4 to 5 years). Was not the EU law binding on UK then? Are you sure that EU law regarding Settlement is still binding on UK?
Moreover, I have previously asked our senior members regarding the way the previous change in ILR was introduced in April 2006 - I mean, was there a consultation prior to that and most importantly whether it took effect immediately or given reasonable time like it generally happens for any major immigration change, e.g. the abolishing of Tier1 General Visa?

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Manas wrote: Moreover, I have previously asked our senior members regarding the way the previous change in ILR was introduced in April 2006 - I mean, was there a consultation prior to that and most importantly whether it took effect immediately or given reasonable time
Search the ILR forum for posts from that time, and you will find the answers.

wf
Member of Standing

Post by wf » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm

manojk005 wrote: Year required for residency is mainly governed by European Union law.
I am not aware of any such law.

FWIW many(most?) EU countries require a longer period than the UK for residency.

rajaram20

Post by rajaram20 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:59 pm

wf wrote:
manojk005 wrote: Year required for residency is mainly governed by European Union law.
I am not aware of any such law.

FWIW many(most?) EU countries require a longer period than the UK for residency.
I don't think so. Most of the countries in Europe has more or less 5 years. Ofcourse citizenship is quite different.

http://www.visasforindians.com/citizenshipQL.html

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 am

This is why we are still waiting for the statement of intent:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12471060

The govt is still making announcements to the media and tweaking the changes.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:01 am

cuberoot wrote:This is why we are still waiting for the statement of intent:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12471060

The govt is still making announcements to the media and tweaking the changes.
Might include this as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12477563

cuberoot

Post by cuberoot » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:57 am

We've got the statement of intent.

See here

viki83

Post by viki83 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 am

Can anyone make sense out of this paragraph. Its worrying me alot as I don't understand if they mean 100 points for everyone or 95 points for those who initially had 95 points:

"The Tier 1 (General) route will remain open in
order to enable those with existing leave to enter
or remain under Tier 1 (General), or its pre-PBS
predecessor categories2 to extend their leave. The
points threshold for extensions will, however,
be raised to 100 for those who were required
to score 100 points when they were originally
granted Tier 1 (General) leave. The points
requirements will otherwise be unchanged."

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:17 am

Please continue in this topic.