ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Salary for Mech Engineer

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ammu12345

Salary for Mech Engineer

Post by ammu12345 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:41 am

Hi Guys I am working with this company who are into power generation for the past 2 yrs + , I just got of the graduate scheme and now my salary is 27k which i think is too low. Though the graduate scheme was terrific in terms of learning and the money they spend on me on training courses was amazing , i feel i am not getting paid the money i should be. I am structured scheme with IMechE and should get my chartered status within the next couple of yrs. Even after i get my chartered status i would be getting paid 34k. Thats shit!

I got a bachelors degree in Mechanical Eng from notts Uni and now got 2 yrs of experience, do you think I am on the right salary? I thought chartered Engineers should be getting around 70k+?

Any advise?

bandit_1250
Newly Registered

Post by bandit_1250 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 am

I would say even that's a little over the going rate for a graduate mechanical engineer. I am a mechanical project engineer and I started on 21k four years ago.

I believe you are very fortunate in the current climate. One doesn't start on big salaries straight away in manufacturing/ heavy industry.

You might have an arguement if you have a chartered status but even then expecting 70k on chartered status with only 4 yrs of industry experience is OTT.

All the best :)

ammu12345

Post by ammu12345 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:50 am

thanks for the reply. you said you got 4 yrs+ exp....are you chartered now? what salary are you on now ?

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 am

bandit_1250 wrote:I would say even that's a little over the going rate for a graduate mechanical engineer. I am a mechanical project engineer and I started on 21k four years ago.

I believe you are very fortunate in the current climate. One doesn't start on big salaries straight away in manufacturing/ heavy industry.

You might have an arguement if you have a chartered status but even then expecting 70k on chartered status with only 4 yrs of industry experience is OTT.

All the best :)
Agree with you completely on everything you have said, the OP might like to tot up the amount spent on his training, his placements, the valuable time his superiors spend with him on his graduate plan, not to mention the fact they are probably paying his visa fees! The market is at its worst at the moment (worst Ive ever known it in the 10 years Ive work in it)...

He is DREAMING if he thinks he's going to get 70K straight after he is chartered, I don’t even know any Associates who get that kind of money with 10 years of experience (mechanical, electrical or structural)!

Salaries are decreasing in this country, it’s all about supply and demand and at the moment the supply outweighs the demand and I can’t see that changing any time soon since the market is flat and if we continue to desecrate our existing industry (sending it all abroad because its cheaper to do so) then you can expect lower wages and less jobs!

My advice to the OP is, if you want bigger money, look further afield because you wont get it on this Island!

ammu12345

Post by ammu12345 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 am

okay what sort of salaries should i be looking at once I am chartered ? I still think 34k would be low with 4 yrs of exp in the energy industry.

In 10 yrs time i was hoping for 100k+ ( lol) but from your reply it seems not possible.

manojk005

Post by manojk005 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:34 am

ammu12345 wrote:okay what sort of salaries should i be looking at once I am chartered ? I still think 34k would be low with 4 yrs of exp in the energy industry.

In 10 yrs time i was hoping for 100k+ ( lol) but from your reply it seems not possible.
You should be paid atleast a million with your background and experience as being chartered means that you know everything about engineering and if you touch a problem it will be solved in second. For example, if you touch you power generating equipments it will automatically start producing atleast 100 time more power with same amout of coal/gas/nuclear fueld within second. You deserve that!

ammu12345

Post by ammu12345 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 pm

wow that was harsh!

Mesam6

Post by Mesam6 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Ammu,

I think the best thing for you to do right now is to focus on getting the Chartered Engineer status. Look at it this way, you have a steady job which isn't paying hand to mouth and your company is spending money on your development through courses etc. That already puts you way way ahead of the curve compared to most folks out there as it means that the company see as someone they want to groom for long term advancement. So keep at it.

As far as your salary expectations are concerned, take a step back and look at the market right now. It is downright brutal out there and with the public sector cuts kicking in, it will be more so and this is going to put a downward pressure on remuneration levels as supply will outstrip demand. Granted that this might not hold true for certain specialized fields, the fact still remains that its an employer's market.

Lastly, you are just starting out and with your experience level, I am sure that your salary is pretty good. If you are still in doubt, search online for the average salary levels for mech engineers un Uk and that should put things in prespective :)

Regards,
Mesam.

Idea

Post by Idea » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm

ammu12345 wrote:wow that was harsh!
But it has a valid point...I'm a Mech. Engr working towards CEng. with over 15 yrs exp. - let me tell you...CEng does not mean more money!!

First the co. looks at what skills you bring..CEng can speed up you promotions, take up mgmt positions, and it helps the co. to project u to the clients (in some cases increase their rates).

as others have mentioned your pay is about the avg. for a graduate engr. If you want to quickly increase you sal.. find out what pays most and develop those skills/move to that industry

ammu12345

Post by ammu12345 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:05 am

I still do believe chartered engineer get paid more , as u pointed out they charge the client more.
10 - 15 yrs of exp....thats a lot...if you dont mind me asking what salary are you on now?

what industry should i get into to get paid more? through my grad scheme ive got experience working in thermal , nuclear , refineries....out of them where do you think i should go into? it would be great if experienced mech engineer can give me some feedback!

nelson22
Newly Registered

Re: Salary for Mech Engineer

Post by nelson22 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 am

Hey there,

I do agree with some of the others that you should be thankful especially in this economy, but engineering is a really good industry to be in, so it seems you might be getting a smaller salary than expected.

Here are resources to look at:
1. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes172141.htm - from the US Bureau of Labor of what it looks like to be a mechanical engineer
2. http://www.engineeringdegree.net/ - if you want to get a high starting off salary, looking into a master's in your engineer degree might be of help
3. http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job ... eer/Salary - salaries from Payscale.com and it looks like you are under the average amount

You also just have to stick it out a little, 2 years of experience is still kind of low to be expecting to be paid a lot of money--try to stay with the company for at least another 2 years to expect a higher pay scale.

ammu12345

Post by ammu12345 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:35 pm

All ur links are for a US mech Engineer ....I am in UK!

nelson22
Newly Registered

Post by nelson22 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 pm

ammu12345 wrote:All ur links are for a US mech Engineer ....I am in UK!
Oh, whoops I am sorry!!! Maybe some are international as well...

prisat
Member of Standing

Re: Salary for Mech Engineer

Post by prisat » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:51 am

ammu12345 wrote:Hi Guys I am working with this company who are into power generation for the past 2 yrs + , I just got of the graduate scheme and now my salary is 27k which i think is too low. Though the graduate scheme was terrific in terms of learning and the money they spend on me on training courses was amazing , i feel i am not getting paid the money i should be. I am structured scheme with IMechE and should get my chartered status within the next couple of yrs. Even after i get my chartered status i would be getting paid 34k. Thats shit!

I got a bachelors degree in Mechanical Eng from notts Uni and now got 2 yrs of experience, do you think I am on the right salary? I thought chartered Engineers should be getting around 70k+?

Any advise?
High profile salaried jobs are very very limited in market and that would attract the best skilled talent from europe and from the rest of the world in UK.

And if you have really searched for jobs, then you wouldnt be terming 34k as Shit. It only shows ur naiveness mate. Market doesnt treat good everybody. :)

You need SKILLs with Luck to get thru jobs..
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

cheshiregoan
Member of Standing

Post by cheshiregoan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:46 pm

I'm in the automotive industry so while it may not quite be the Energy sector, I do know our company does not pay any engineers over £40k. Engineers who have just finished their grad schemes average around the £25k mark and those with 4-5 years could get close to £30k. The only people who make close to the £70k are Senior Managers, all of whom have 15-20 years of experience in addition to IMeche plus MBA.

I would imagine that the energy sector will pay higher than automotive but £70k would be quite difficult without a further 8-10 years at the very least.

The only other alternative to get above £40k would be to move from permanent employment to contracting, where you should easily be able to command over the £20 per hour mark. Even automotive engineers get paid that comfortably, so energy sector should be slightly higher.
Please do not send me any Private Messages as I do not check these.