ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

joh118

Re: ILR Application

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:24 pm

lucy lee wrote:I first came to the UK on 15th December 2000 under a 3 year student visa. I continued to study and successfully renew my visa under student visa until I finished university in February 2008 after which I applied for visa extention under IGS which was successfully granted until June 2009. On 8th June 2009 I appled for extention under the Post Study work visa and my application was refused on June 26th 2009 because I did not have sufficient funds in support of my application.
I appealed the decision and my appeal was refused. I appealed again and this appeal was also refused and deemed out of time by 3 days. I made a further appeal to the high court and also submitted a fresh Tier 1 application at the same time. My application was returned as not valid because I had an appeal at the high court. I then went to see a lawyer who advised me to withdraw my appeal and submit another application. I contacted the high court who informed me it was too late to withdraw my appeal as it was already with a judge. A decision was reached on my appeal and again it was refused and also deemed out of time. I then with the help of a lawyer submitted a fresh application under Tier 1 which was granted for a year from March 2010 until March 2011 as I had already been previously granted a year under IGS.
As my visa is about to expire in March 2011, I would like to make an application for settlement (long residence) using Form Set O having been in the UK for just over 10 years now.

I wanted to confirm that if I qualify to do so and if it is a straight forward application or there are underlying issues I need to consider/address before I send my application. On both occasions that my appeal was delayed,it has been under 10 days and was because of my previous solicitor.

The form does not request that I send any additional information apart from my passport. and a document showing I passed the Life in the UK test.I plan on including a letter explaining the delays in my appeals but would like some advice on what other documents I should include with my application.

Many thanks for all advice I will recieve.
gosh this is a complicated case. It is definately not straightforward.
So when you applied for PSW visa did you apply 3 days out of time? If you did, how did you get appeal rights?

When you lost the high court case, did you stil have section 3C leave? (ie. was your previous leave automaticaly carried forward?)

When you lost your court case, did the judge or anyone give you a time frame to submit a new application?

Even if you are eligible, I think you need to use a good solicitor. You cant just submit your passport and expect ot be granted as you will appear to have a huge gap of around ayear. So a solicitor can argue your case for you.

Also I suggest you order you SAR file (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/navig ... onal-data/) this file is all the data that the UKBA has on you. You can use this to prove your case. but you should note that caseworkers will not trawl through the database for you. You need to send in the evidence you find from your file with your application.

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 am

jaymbauk wrote:one good news from me aswell

10 years long residence indefinite leave

applied on 11 jan
money deducted on 12 jan
ack letter received on 14th dated on 12th

ILR received on 14-02-2011(valentines day)
stamped on 9th feb at liverpool

its exactly 5 weeks
all the best for all who is awaiting for there results
Good stuff mate. Lets hope the others in the queue get a positive response soon.

lucy lee
Newly Registered

Post by lucy lee » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:00 am

Hi John, thanks for your response.

My initial extention application was within time.

The appeal which I made through a solicitor was deemed to be 3 days out of time. The solicitor faxed the appeal and assured me that as long as it was sent before midnight on the last eligible day for appeal it would be accepted as within time (it was faxed on a Friday and was picked up by the AIT on Monday hence the 3 days).

After AIT refused my appeal I still had a further right to appeal at which point the solicitor advised me to submit a freash application and then lodge an appeal which he prepared and again filed late but told me as I had a fresh PSW application with the Home Ofiice at the time I was still considered to be legally in the country. My PSW application was returned as I still had the appeal at the court pending.

After I lost the High court appeal my visa had already expired and so am assuming I did not have Section 3C. Throughout the time of my appeals,apart from the days my appeals were deemed out of time I was covered by section 3C even though my visa has by this time expired. I was never at any time notified by the Home Office that I was in he country illegally or asked to leave.

My current visa expires in less than a month and from what I have read the SARS takes up to 40 days so unfortunately I do not have sufficient time to wait for a SARS

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 am

lucy lee wrote:Hi John, thanks for your response.

The appeal which I made through a solicitor was deemed to be 3 days out of time. The solicitor faxed the appeal and assured me that as long as it was sent before midnight on the last eligible day for appeal it would be accepted as within time (it was faxed on a Friday and was picked up by the AIT on Monday hence the 3 days).

After AIT refused my appeal I still had a further right to appeal at which point the solicitor advised me to submit a freash application and then lodge an appeal which he prepared and again filed late but told me as I had a fresh PSW application with the Home Ofiice at the time I was still considered to be legally in the country. My PSW application was returned as I still had the appeal at the court pending.

After I lost the High court appeal my visa had already expired and so am assuming I did not have Section 3C. Throughout the time of my appeals,apart from the days my appeals were deemed out of time I was covered by section 3C even though my visa has by this time expired. I was never at any time notified by the Home Office that I was in he country illegally or asked to leave.

My current visa expires in less than a month and from what I have read the SARS takes up to 40 days so unfortunately I do not have sufficient time to wait for a SARS
It's not sounding good at the moment. That three days can mean the difference between a successful ILR application or a refusal. You will need a solicitor to argue that the appeal was submitted in time.

Also you will need to argue that at the time when you made the Tier 1 application following the high court refusal, you were still covered by Section 3C leave.

This the is only way you can be successful. Unless you have any "extenuating circumstances".

My advice: see a solicitor!

EMC2

Long residence and ILR

Post by EMC2 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 am

Hi,

Please could someone answer my question?

I have been granted ILR on long term residence (9 Years student + 1 year PSW). Now I am planning to visit my family back home after 3 years. Please let me know if there is any restriction on leaving UK after getting ILR on long term residency. I know I am asking stupid question but just want to make sure that it's safe to leave.

All your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:29 am

lucy lee wrote:Hi John, thanks for your response.

With respect to SAR, I received mine within 2 weeks of request. The 40 days is the maximum time it could take. It is essential that you get this as it will highlight any information/ basis that was used in reaching a conclusion in your case. It cost only a tenner I think.

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Re: Long residence and ILR

Post by Eastender14 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:38 am

EMC2 wrote:Hi,

Please could someone answer my question?

I have been granted ILR on long term residence (9 Years student + 1 year PSW). Now I am planning to visit my family back home after 3 years. Please let me know if there is any restriction on leaving UK after getting ILR on long term residency. I know I am asking stupid question but just want to make sure that it's safe to leave.

All your help will be appreciated.

Thanks
No there is no restriction and you should have received a leaflet with your ILR giving you further information in this matter. However a friend of mine was questioned at the airport on his way back on how he got the ILR, just routine check i presume. The main path to qualifying for naturalisation is through holding Indefinite Leave to Remain for 12 months. I think that you will have to make up any time spent abroad.

Dthemigrant
Newly Registered

Update

Post by Dthemigrant » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:53 pm

In total, as of the end of January 2011 – 1320 ILR 10 year long residency applications remain outstanding. This should give you an idea of how much UKBA have to do and why it might take the time it takes for them to process an application. Its also well known that UKBA may need to do additional checks (external to UKBA), and this can cause the wait to be longer or shorter depending on how quickly the external bodies respond to UKBA queries.

joh118

Re: Update

Post by joh118 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Dthemigrant wrote:In total, as of the end of January 2011 – 1320 ILR 10 year long residency applications remain outstanding. This should give you an idea of how much UKBA have to do and why it might take the time it takes for them to process an application. Its also well known that UKBA may need to do additional checks (external to UKBA), and this can cause the wait to be longer or shorter depending on how quickly the external bodies respond to UKBA queries.
where did you get that statisctic from?

Dthemigrant
Newly Registered

Re: Update

Post by Dthemigrant » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:53 pm

joh118 wrote:
Dthemigrant wrote:In total, as of the end of January 2011 – 1320 ILR 10 year long residency applications remain outstanding. This should give you an idea of how much UKBA have to do and why it might take the time it takes for them to process an application. Its also well known that UKBA may need to do additional checks (external to UKBA), and this can cause the wait to be longer or shorter depending on how quickly the external bodies respond to UKBA queries.
where did you get that statisctic from?
It was received from one and only original source, the UKBA (United Kingdom Border Agency).

lucy lee
Newly Registered

Post by lucy lee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:31 pm

[quote="Eastender14"][quote="lucy lee"]Hi John, thanks for your response.

My current visa expires in less than a month and from what I have read the SARS takes up to 40 days so unfortunately I do not have sufficient time to wait for a SARS[/quote]

With respect to SAR, I received mine within 2 weeks of request. The 40 days is the maximum time it could take. It is essential that you get this as it will highlight any information/ basis that was used in reaching a conclusion in your case. It cost only a tenner I think.[/quote]

Thank you. I sent a SARS request today and am hoping to get it before I have to send my passport (latest 5th March)

joh118

Post by joh118 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 pm

modanger wrote:Hi Eastender,

Thanks for your reply!

I am surprised that why did ukba kept my documents such as barrister's draft, MP's letter and all evidence which i have provided them to support my application but sent my passport back?

Regards,
modanger
why not call them and ask for it back? have you tried that?

tbbcuk

Post by tbbcuk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 pm

I posted my application in late Dec 2010, still waiting.

I heard someone here who posted theirs in Jan 2011 and already got theirs back, but I am still waiting.

I got 1 day gaps in one extension, is it the reason why it takes longer?
I did submit it through solicitor. One thing is, in the application form, he filled Section 5 Home and Finances which is not required for 10 years application, will that cause any probs?

Anyone who post their application before me and still waiting?

Jay4you

Post by Jay4you » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi tbbcuk,

I posted my application in early Jan 2011 (7th to be precise) & still waiting. Although I don't have any gaps between extensions but one of my passport was lost so I had to enclosed attested photocopies of my lost passport from consulate as proof.

I did not fill "Home & Finances" section as it was clearly stated. it was not required for 10 years applications. Although, I can't see any harm on filling the section tbh. I never submitted any payslips/bank statements etc with my application as they were also not required but I know many here have & it didn't affected there application.

I have to say "jaymbauk" case is extremely rare cause from what I have read here it takes around 10 odd weeks for majority of applications even when it's a straight forward case. (I am sure other posters will correct me if I am wrong with my observation)

Dthemigrant
Newly Registered

Post by Dthemigrant » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:16 pm

As i have stated earlier, the UKBA are speeding up the work and its a good thing the agency is doind better. People need to understand that there are 112 caseworkers dealing with thousands of cases. As i have stated earlier at the end of January 2011 UKBA had 1320 ILR (based on 10 year Long Residency) applications yet to process.

Also, UKBA may also have to do additional checks and that can take sometime. This is inspite the fact that, the goverment has taken steps to link all different departments/bodies by signing MoUs (Memorandum of Understanding) so that info is readily accessible by the caseworker.

So, provided your cases is flawless, Jay I wouldnt worry too much. Though i know having to wait is really annoying..

Weirdly enough, Asylum and some illegals applications have a higher priority than the legal ones..One of the reasons given is that they are in some kind of immidediate danger, than the legal lot. Perhaps they should set up a dedicated team for processing asylum applications separately.

By the way, the posts i make has original and authentic info right from UKBA itself. So you can rest assured that what i say is accurate. (Though nobody should treat it as legal advice!!! i guess only the solicitors are allowed to give advice.)

Jay4you

Post by Jay4you » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Dthemigrant,

Thanks a lot for the information. Good to hear that UKBA are trying to speed up the work.

Waiting is annoying, especially when you don't have your passport for long time & my work requires lot's of travelling but as long as we get a positive result of the application it's worth the wait.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:38 am

Hey everyone!!!!

I have some great news! Today I was granted ILR!!! I'm so happy, it's a dream come true. I had a gap of TWO MONTHS. But I had an extenuating reason and compassionate grounds.

My timeline:

Application posted: 17 January 2011
Akn Letter: 21 January 2011 (dated 19 January)
Granted: 21 February 2011 (dated 15 February)

So it took 4 weeks!

Through this process, I have become very familiar with rules regarding long residence, so I'll still be around to help out with things.

Hopefully this time next year, I'll be applying for citizenship!
Last edited by joh118 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

kungfuman
Newly Registered

Post by kungfuman » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:17 pm

joh118 wrote:Hey everyone!!!!

I have some great news! Today I was granted ILR!!! I'm so happy, it's a dream come true. I had a gap of TWO MONTHS. But I had an extenuating reason and compassionate grounds.

My timeline:

Granted: 21 February 2011

So it took 4 weeks!

Through this process, I have become very familiar with rules regarding long residence, so I'll still be around to help out with things.

Congrates mate....enjoy !!!

Eastender14
- thin ice -

Post by Eastender14 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:08 pm

My timeline:

Granted: 21 February 2011

So it took 4 weeks!

Congrats mate...relax now. we might be in the same room for the naturalisation .. :)

Dthemigrant
Newly Registered

Post by Dthemigrant » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:08 pm

well done UKBA!!! They really are firing on all cylinders good to see.

modanger

ilr

Post by modanger » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:18 pm

congratulations joh118,

please tell me what was the actual issue! did ukba reject your application or refuse?????????????????????

joh118

Re: ilr

Post by joh118 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:57 pm

modanger wrote:congratulations joh118,

please tell me what was the actual issue! did ukba reject your application or refuse?????????????????????
I do not understand your question. I have ILR now. I was granted on 15th February 2011. I got it today by post.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:34 am

Thanks for your kind comments.

Although I am now "free". It's only just begun for my mother. We decided to wait until my case was decided before she applies. Now that I have ILR hopefully her case is slightly stronger. I really want her to live here.

So I'm gonna get all the docs ready for her soon! The trouble is she finds the Life in UK test quite hard....

Jay4you

Post by Jay4you » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 am

My timeline:

Granted: 21 February 2011 (dated 15 February)

So it took 4 weeks!

Congratulations Mate!! Enjoy your freedom now!! :)

I applied on 7th Jan 2011 & still waiting...Hopefully I will be hear something positive soon...

internev29a
Newly Registered

Post by internev29a » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Congratulations joh118.

I posted mine on the 2nd of Feb & now desperately waiting for the good news.