ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

if i selling stuff on an auction site,will that call a job?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

WANRAWIN
Newly Registered

if i selling stuff on an auction site,will that call a job?

Post by WANRAWIN » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 am

hi there...
i have been on my maternity leave sine june 2010 and i just cound't stay still at home so i start buying some stuff and sell them on internet..
its turn out to be a really good invest, my concern is do i need to pay tax for this? someone told me that if the hmrc tracked me down i need to pay for tax. but how will they track me?
best regard
jas

geriatrix

Re: if i selling stuff on an auction site,will that call a j

Post by geriatrix » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:59 am

WANRAWIN wrote:i start buying some stuff and sell them on internet..
If you are buying in items, and then selling them hopefully at a profit, well that would amount to the conduct of a business.
WANRAWIN wrote:my concern is do i need to pay tax for this? someone told me that if the hmrc tracked me down i need to pay for tax.
The business must be registered with HMRC, and any taxes you are liable to pay must be paid.
WANRAWIN wrote:but how will they track me?
So you wish to deliberately break the law and figure out through others if and how you can do that? That they have their methods to track tax evaders - should be enough to answer your question.

regards

WANRAWIN
Newly Registered

Post by WANRAWIN » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 am

hi there, thank you for the reply
what i did on internet is buying second hand baby stuff from other mom in the group and sell it....im not register as a business..i sell an item on the private listing ... it would be like selling at carboot,would it?what i heard is if i reach some certain amount i need to classify that as an income, is that right>? but then how much?
best regard
jas

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:47 am

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:43 pm

WANRAWIN wrote: what i did on internet is buying second hand baby stuff from other mom in the group and sell it....im not register as a business..i sell an item on the private listing ...
jas
You are worrying a lot about nothing really. As long as you dont plan to convert this short term interest into a multi-billion dollar industry, you dont need to bother. None of us on this forum can advice you to be a tax evader but honestly, just use common sense on this one - and stop worrying :-)

KP

giuseppenero

don't worry

Post by giuseppenero » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:46 am

I second the last comment. Dont worry. It's not a business, just a hobby.
That would be like the neighbour boy doing odd jobs for the elderly for cash. Would we advise him to declare it?

Mariam79
Newly Registered

Post by Mariam79 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:53 am

If you sell the stuff to make profit you have to register yourself as self employed and pay NI contribution but if your income is less you can ask for a small earnings exemption and if your income is below a certain amount you don't need to pay tax anyway bust still have to be registered

I don't think that buying and selling second hand baby clothes make a lot of income as they are sold for very little on ebay and you also buy them yourself so depending on how many auctions you have weekly I would consider registering.

If the auctions are just a few and could be considered as just selling private stuff then just leave it but if you really have a lot on ebay all the time I would register just to be on the safe side

nelson22
Newly Registered

Post by nelson22 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:15 am

How much profit are you actually making from it? Usually if it's over $600, then you would need to report that and do taxes for them. But it sounds like it's just something small and doesn't seem like you're doing this in order to make a huge profit and make it into a business... so you should be fine.

WANRAWIN
Newly Registered

Post by WANRAWIN » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:56 pm

thank you for all the replies...this website is really helpful

KDS
BANNED

Post by KDS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 pm

WANRAWIN wrote:hi there...
i have been on my maternity leave sine june 2010 and i just cound't stay still at home so i start buying some stuff and sell them on internet..
its turn out to be a really good invest, my concern is do i need to pay tax for this? someone told me that if the hmrc tracked me down i need to pay for tax. but how will they track me?
best regard
jas
you have to pay taxes for this, HMRC will not find out but some one can inform them or if you claiming benefit. they can track it down and inform the HMRC.

Just pay your taxes like every one. It's not that much if you earn little. you might not even have to pay if it's less than £7000 (not sure the correct amount but their is a minimum limit) just register with HMRC and do your work keep record of every thing.

you can do on-line and HMRC help link is really helpful and quick to answer.