ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need assistance on whether to opt out from Pension Plan

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

light_tunnel

Need assistance on whether to opt out from Pension Plan

Post by light_tunnel » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:03 am

The organization which I have received offer from has a flexibility option of opting out from Pension plan. I would be leaving the country in a maximum term of 5 years, hence is it advisable to still opt for the pension plan or opt out of it. When I leave the country will be able to avail it?

Following is the clause from the organization
"A deduction of 5% will be taken from your salary by salary sacrifice in respect to employee contributions each month and the employer will make a contribution of 7%."

Please advise.

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:53 am

hey lighttunnel,
congratulations on ur new job.gre8 man:)all the best

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:33 pm

Thanks bash

t1s2010
Member of Standing

Post by t1s2010 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:23 am

Is this the same person who asked this earlier...??
Ahem!!! Ahem!!! :)
Please provide your valuable inputs/suggestions/ideas to improve my job hunt. It is more than 40 days since I landed in UK and have barely got two interview calls. Moreover I am fed up of this phishing agents who got no business but waste your time and give you false hope.
I have around 6+ years of experience in Embedded/Telecom domain.
And it is very difficult to make out from the interview pattern as to what....

Congratulations to you, man.

P.S. - I don't know the answer.. ;)

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:58 am

Thanks buddy. You seem to be having an awesome memory.
It was one hell of a experience. All is well that ends well...

rkumar
Newly Registered

Post by rkumar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:11 pm

@light_tunnel

Do post your job search experience, it will be very valuable for others. I also have embedded / telecom experience and am looking out now. Will send you a PM as well.

Thanks,
RK

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:04 pm

Coming back to the original query, there are 2 types of pensions

1. Mandatory pension contribution that comes out as part of your NI contributions and goes towards your weekly pension once you retire
2. Private pension where employee puts X% and employer puts (X+N)% which is based on criteria like age etc. When you retire, you get the standard pension due to your NI contributions plus this amount which is usually a lot higher given you give and your employer make a monthly contribution

Do not get confused between the two.

1. The word 'opt out' is used for mandatory pension to the govt. You can opt out of letting the govt invest this money and instead chose another pension provider of your choice. There is no way this money can be encashed until retirement. You will always have to give this contribution but can opt out of the govt managing investment of this amount and chose another provider. So its not really an opt out where you get more cash in hand now, its just an opt out of govt managing this investment for you.

2. Pension offered by the employer is voluntary. You can subscribe for it only if you want to. This amount will taken in addition to the contribution made as par of your NI every month.
Hence the statement
"A deduction of 5% will be taken from your salary by salary sacrifice in respect to employee contributions each month and the employer will make a contribution of 7%."

refers to this additional pension. You need to ask with your HR if this is compulsory or not and I believe it isnt. This is an excellent benefit of course provided you spend you life here and retire in the UK at 65 or 70 :-)
Otherwise, like is the case for many of us, it makes no sense and you can let your company know you dont want this pension from them.

Hope this helps
KP

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks kenfrapin.

Tweedum
Newly Registered

3.5 months to get a job?

Post by Tweedum » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:21 pm

Does this mean it took you 3.5 months to get a job here?

Congrats and hope you will enjoy the role! :D

In terms of pension scheme, it depends on what is your future plans, where you would like to settle etc......

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 am

Thanks. Indeed it took 3.5 months to get an offer letter in hand.