ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice required

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Musicmen
Newly Registered

Advice required

Post by Musicmen » Wed May 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi

My wife has lived in the UK for over 10 years. She is originally from hong kong.

About 4 years ago, she got ILR.

I,m looking at whether she should upgrade to right of abode or citizenship.

The reason? I (I'm a British citizen) might be getting a job in Hong Kong on a 2 year contract. I,m worried that if we go for two years with ILR, she won't be allowed back in the UK after two years.

So I'm thinking citizenship is the right way to go.

Is my thinking right?

Thanks in advance for your help

Steven

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm

She will probably be allowed back even if her ILR expires because she's your wife and you could apply for spouse visa but why go through all these complications in the first place?
Just have her apply for citizenship - The only downside I can might be dual citiznehip issues. In terms of cost, it would probably be cheaper than a spousal visa anyway

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Yes, go for it.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed May 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Agree, British citizenship would be the most sensible option for her — probably cheaper in the long run and removes any worry about her coming back to the UK (including if, please God not, something were to happen to you).

She might want to look at the question of dual citizenship though before she applies: no problem from the British point of view, but she might want to check from the other side.

She can't gain the right of abode without becoming a British citizen, since the two now go together. (There are people who have the right of abode without British citizenship, but they belong to residual groups who retained the right of abode when the 1981 Nationality Act came into effect at the beginning of 1983. I assume that she does not belong to one of these residual groups.)

Musicmen
Newly Registered

Post by Musicmen » Wed May 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Christophe wrote:Agree, British citizenship would be the most sensible option for her — probably cheaper in the long run and removes any worry about her coming back to the UK (including if, please God not, something were to happen to you).

She might want to look at the question of dual citizenship though before she applies: no problem from the British point of view, but she might want to check from the other side.

She can't gain the right of abode without becoming a British citizen, since the two now go together. (There are people who have the right of abode without British citizenship, but they belong to residual groups who retained the right of abode when the 1981 Nationality Act came into effect at the beginning of 1983. I assume that she does not belong to one of these residual groups.)
Wow cheers everyone. What a friendly and helpful forum!!

I'll look inti dual citizenship, I don't think it'll be a problem and she'll still be able ti be a hong kong citizen too.

Thanks again

Steven