ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can one apply for a 2nd extension of Tier-1 (General) visa?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

trupsster
Newly Registered

Can one apply for a 2nd extension of Tier-1 (General) visa?

Post by trupsster » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:30 pm

Hello,

My initial Tier-1 visa was valid for 3 years; Sept 19th, 2008 to Sept 18th, 2011. I came to UK on December 26th, 2008. Which is 3 months, 6 days after the visa was valid from.

My visa is now due for the first extension, which I wil be applying for next month (July 2011) or early August 2011. Since I will not be able to complete the 5 years required for ILR at the end of my first extension:

1. Am I allowed to apply for a second extension? That is, in August 2013?
2. I might be travelling out of UK for work, and hence was thinking of applying earlier (which simply adds more days to my 3 months 6 days delay in arrival, in case the case worker decides to stamp the date as date of application).
3. Has anyone else found the need to apply for second extension?

I'd be glad if anyone could help me. I've gone through a lot of the posts here, but most speak about coming to UK via HSMP or, the later Tier-1 (where the first validity was for 2 years)... which is why I am at sea :(

Hopefully, one of the members here can clarify this for me...

Thanks!

PS: Point 2 is not a question... but I put it there anyway :)

geriatrix

Re: Can one apply for a 2nd extension of Tier-1 (General) vi

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:40 pm

trupsster wrote:1. Am I allowed to apply for a second extension? That is, in August 2013?
No one can tell you what the rules will be in 2013 but, under current rules, yes ... as many extensions as you want to apply for.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

mk357
Member of Standing

Post by mk357 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi,
I recently applied for a second time extension even though I needed just a bit over two months of extension which I could have availed by correcting the date for free but just like you I have to tavel abroad and the new visa extension is for 3 full years which givesme ample time to apply for ILR when I can.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:19 am

As sushdmehta pointed out, under the current rules it is allowed, however, part of the consultation out on settlement at the moment is to limit the amount of time you can spend on a Tier 1 visa. Keep up to date with this to see what becomes of these suggestions and how they translate into rules at the end of it. It is very likely that this will affect you (so keep checking back) - and whilst there are no rules limiting extensions at the moment, the consultation suggests that there soon may be...

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:01 am

Where did you see that please??

trupsster
Newly Registered

Post by trupsster » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks sushdmehta and mulderpf :) that helps!

Thanks for your feedback too mk357 :)

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:39 am

guys,
i entered UK on 16th oct 2010 but waz there only for 3 weeks till november 1st went back home ,then again entered UK on april 9th 2011 secured job and continue to stay in uk.visa valid from 1st oct 2010 to oct 2012.
my question is.
will i require 2nd extension to qualify for ILR?

plzz clarify

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:52 am

bash wrote:guys,
i entered UK on 16th oct 2010 but waz there only for 3 weeks till november 1st went back home ,then again entered UK on april 9th 2011 secured job and continue to stay in uk.visa valid from 1st oct 2010 to oct 2012.
my question is.
will i require 2nd extension to qualify for ILR?

plzz clarify
You have spend more than 90 days at a time outside UK. So theoretically your ILR clock has been reset from 9th of April 2011 and you will need to stay 5 years from this day and so you may need another extension. Contact with experienced solicitor and see if they can manage to regularise your absence.

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:58 am

thanx,
but are there any chances tht uk GOVERNMENT WILL limit the number of times one can take extensions?
or
solicitors do such stuff abt correcting the arrival dates,cause m short of only by 2months.
any suggestions

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:09 am

Hi Chaps,

why are we again talking about the potential limit on the number of extensions?? Where does this information come from? As far as I understand there has been nothing to suggest that they will! Please quote some specific sources in case you have a different opinion, or otherwise stop spreading these negative waves again!

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:18 am

sorry in case i have got some wrong info,
but i read the seniors saying that 2nd extension may not be allowed for candidates in the future .in the consultation itself is soo confusing.

dharma123
Newly Registered

Post by dharma123 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:23 am

I had the same doubt yest. but the consultation paper on page 12 of proposal summary, makes clear that this is for people entering uk after april 2011. Also on page 17, it says answers on tier 1 cap for exceptional migrants who anyways will come in uk on or after 2011. Still ambiguous and frightening

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:25 am

I understand...

2 things to note here:

1. The consultation is dedicated to evaluation of the impact of removing the link between temporary working & settlement for applicants within the work-related PBS routes entering the system after april 2011.

2. So far I have not seen any comments from the "Gods" "backing" the assumption that TIER1 G Extensions will be in scope for these changes.

What does everybody else think?

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27 am

I feel this might snowball into one of those 1 billion page threads if we are not careful- CALL FOR SUSH!! :D

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:29 am

i mean the seniors,moderators are uncertain abt the consultation and say in 2013 nobody knws if one can get 2nd extension,then i guess the other guys will be confused about the 2nd extension part:(

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:42 am

i guess u r rite!!!
double sushhhhh:)

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:59 am

Sorry everyone, I did not mean to stir up something and have this turn into a long discussion, I was merely pointing out that according to the current rules this is fine, but there's a possibility that the rules may change and the OP should keep checking back to ensure that everything is still fine.

The consultation document can be found here and the specific part I was referring to is on page 12:
• Consider capping the maximum period of
Tier 1 temporary leave at 5 years and restricting
the number of exceptional talent migrants
granted settlement
• Apply these changes to those entering the
points-based system from April 2011.
As it is a consultation document, it is NOT law and nobody should read too much into it. We know that from previous consultations and the actual laws that came into effect, many things change. However, it was proposed, so it will be discussed and possibly changed. As it is a consultation document, they may very well decide not to implement it at all or may very well decide to implement it for everyone - the fact is, it's not cast in stone.

Nobody can tell you how the rules will be implemented and trying to read too much into it is in my opinion an absolute waste of time, however, I was just pointing out that the OP should be aware that what he is proposing is under review.