ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to prove that you're living in England legally?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gabibeer
Newly Registered

How to prove that you're living in England legally?

Post by gabibeer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:58 pm

Hi, (not to sure if this is the right place?sorry if its not)
I need to prove that i am living legaly in the England (which i am).
Been living in England for almost a year now with my boyfriend.
But the governmen in my country of origin, has called me up to work for them.I am unable to return due to costs of travelling etc.Though I am allowed to be excused from this if i can prove that i am living here in Enlgland legaly.

What kind of Documents etc. can i use to prove this?
As i am unsure myself at the moment.

Thanks for any help or advice that can be given.

British

Post by British » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:54 pm

"Though I am allowed to be excused from this if i can prove that i am living here in Enlgland legaly. "

Interesting stuff really! :-) In other words, the government (of your origin country) has a right to call you back to that country to work for them, if you are here in UK illegaly :-)

Frankly, that is very nice of your country of your origin. Which country is it?

If all other countries had this sort of right to call back their citizens who are illegals in the UK, the problem of illegal immigration would be solved immediately (or would it??? ;-))

Anyway, my answer to your question will be:

1. Your passport and an appropriate visa - i.e. these days, a "residence permit" sticker in your passport.

2. If you are from another EU country, then your Identity card from that country (if your EU country has ID card system in place) will also do, since if the card describes you as a citizen of that EU country, it is enough to prove that you have the right to live and work in the UK.

3. Or even an UK HO issued work authorisation document ( i have heard about such a document, but don't really know what it is about).

I can't think of any other documents that you can use to prove you are legal in the UK.

Wait for other members comments.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:55 pm

Firstly...what kind of government calls up it´s citizens to work for them? It sounds like what you are really talking about is military service.

Secondly and more importantly....how does your government know where you are?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:55 pm

An ILR or spouse visa stamp only proves that you have the right to abode but doesn't prove that you are physically present in the UK.

Can't you prove your presence by turning up at your country's diplomatic mission in the UK?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:43 pm

you know i find this topic interesting from the opposite perspective.....

My situation, simplified is:

GF here on student visa

We want UPV - need two years continuous co-hab

She;s been here one year living with me, has to have one year in Germany (as visa national) starting 1st sept, back here for last year of her degree.

So that buggers up our UPV unless we are visiting each other every weekend etc....

So how would HO/IND know she ever spent that middle year in Germany since she has UK Residence Permit till Oct 2008?

Or are they really clever?!

Steve

Rogerio

Re: How to prove that you're living in England legally?

Post by Rogerio » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 pm

gabibeer wrote:I need to prove that i am living legaly in the England (which i am).
Are you being called for Military Service or Jury Duty?

I guess a copy of your Work Permit or ILR, ILE, student visa, etc should be sufficient.

You should really contact the embassy of your country of origin.

Rogerio

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:41 pm

gabibeer,

With respect why don't you ask your government ideally through their consular representation in the UK what they will accept as conclusive proof that you are residing and legally at that if so required in the UK. From a UK perspective your immigration status is evidenced by a visa stamp, residence permit, residence document or other written notification as authorised under the Immigration Acts and Regulations thereof.