ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student fees with ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

HsmpFlr3

Student fees with ILR

Post by HsmpFlr3 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:17 am

(I apologize if this is not the right section to post this question. None of the other sections seems to be relevant to my question).

I am studying in a (part-time) course (PhD) that i started last year and i have been paying "overseas" pay rate for it. I recently got ILR and i was hoping i can switch my fee category to "home" rate. But the following website says its not possible and the only way to switch is by becoming a british citizen.

Here is the web-site http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/fees_s ... upport.php
and the relevant answer:

"Other changes during your course, such as gaining Indefinite Leave to Remain, or other changes to your immigration status, or acquiring three years' residence in the UK, do not necessarily affect your fee status."

Is this true? - does anyone have a prior experience on this? The fees are very large and i dont have any grant from my university either. I was hoping i can pay home fees once i get ILR.

Could someone please advise on this.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 am

The quote you have cited is referring to changes during the current academic year and where people have 3 years residence but not ILR, or vice versa. You can't change fees now ( if you are in the middle of the academic year) but next semester you will be entitled to be classed as category 1 if you have been resident in the UK for three years (but not as a student) and have ILR.

HsmpFlr3

Post by HsmpFlr3 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:26 pm

but next semester you will be entitled to be classed as category 1
Well category 1 says
"you must be 'settled' in the UK on the 'first day of the first academic year of the course'"

On the first day of the first academic year of the course (which was last year) i was not settled in the UK. I have a settlement only from this year. So how will this apply for me?

Pls. dont think i am trying to argue against what you mentioned. I just want to get things right when i speak with my university and i appreciate your insights.

Also i was under HSMP/Tier 1 for the past 5 years, until i got my ILR recently. So the 3 years residence is not a issue. I am still not clear if i can switch my fee status from overseas to home. This academic year for me begins only in November.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Lucapooka wrote:The quote you have cited is referring to changes during the current academic year and where people have 3 years residence but not ILR, or vice versa. You can't change fees now ( if you are in the middle of the academic year) but next semester you will be entitled to be classed as category 1 if you have been resident in the UK for three years (but not as a student) and have ILR.
Category 1 states that the student must have been settled on the first day of the first academic year of the course. Acquiring ILR part way through the course therefore does not mean that the OP will become entitled to home fees.

HsmpFlr3

Post by HsmpFlr3 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks Greenie for confirming the (bad) news.
So looks like i have to continue to pay overseas rate.
If anyone has prior experience on switching fee status mid-way, please let me know.

sensm

tution fee

Post by sensm » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi,

I got my ilr last week after completing my 5yr workpermit.

Am I eligible now as home student and if i get my admission in a course before sept 2012 what fee rate will apply on me. Old or new rate?

please reply.

regards

sensm

sensm

claiming benifits and student fee

Post by sensm » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for replying to my post.

Please reply by earlier post in this topic.
much appreciated.

regards

sensm

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:04 am

Assuming you are studying in England, Wales or Northern Ireland, See will I pay the home or overseas rate

You should be entitled to home fees however you will be subject to the new higher tuition fees for home students.

sensm

child benifit

Post by sensm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Hi Greenie,

As I and my wife got ILr.
can anyone of us claim child benifit for childrens?
does this has effect on our naturalisation as they were on dependent visa before ILR?

regards

sensm

sensm

student fee

Post by sensm » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Greenie,

REgarding student fee as home student.

I did my postgraduation here in uk.
18 month course when I cam to uk on student visa.
I paid all dues extra and not claimed any benifit.

Now I am planning to go for degree course/professional qualification as home student
Does my previous postgraduation from UK has any effect on my application as home student to get grant to pay fee?

I read on dirctgov site while checking my application where it says have you studied any degree/higher level course in uk or outside uk.
please reply
regards
sensm

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:34 pm

Yes if you already have a higher or equivalent degree then the university may charge you international fees and you may not be entitled to funding from student finance England. Universities do not receive funding for a students fees if they have an equivalent or higher qualification. I am not sure how this will apply in the new fee regime. Best to seek advice from the advice service at your prospective university.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: child benifit

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:36 pm

sensm wrote:Hi Greenie,

As I and my wife got ILr.
can anyone of us claim child benifit for childrens?
does this has effect on our naturalisation as they were on dependent visa before ILR?

regards

sensm
Yes you can claim child benefit. No it won't effect your naturalisation.

anandjain80
Newly Registered

Post by anandjain80 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Greenie wrote:Yes if you already have a higher or equivalent degree then the university may charge you international fees and you may not be entitled to funding from student finance England. Universities do not receive funding for a students fees if they have an equivalent or higher qualification. I am not sure how this will apply in the new fee regime. Best to seek advice from the advice service at your prospective university.
Is this also applicable to the case where a person wants to do PHD degree after doing MSc degree from UK university? will he be not eligible for student finance?

Regards,
Anand

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:08 pm

anandjain80 wrote:
Greenie wrote:Yes if you already have a higher or equivalent degree then the university may charge you international fees and you may not be entitled to funding from student finance England. Universities do not receive funding for a students fees if they have an equivalent or higher qualification. I am not sure how this will apply in the new fee regime. Best to seek advice from the advice service at your prospective university.
Is this also applicable to the case where a person wants to do PHD degree after doing MSc degree from UK university? will he be not eligible for student finance?

Regards,
Anand
there is no student finance for masters and PHDs. Only for undergraduate courses.

anandjain80
Newly Registered

Post by anandjain80 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 am

Greenie wrote:
anandjain80 wrote:

Regards,
Anand
there is no student finance for masters and PHDs. Only for undergraduate courses.
Sorry for mentioning it student finance, I mean to say whether a person is eligible for home tuition fee for PHD if he gets his ILR, and he has also done MSc from UK university in the past before getting the ILR and paid overseas fee.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 pm

if you have done an equivalent qualification or higher then you may be charged international fees (i.e. doing a second masters). If you are doing a PhD after having done a masters then you shouldn't be. You will need to ask the university where you are applying.

rahulsharma
Newly Registered

Student fees with ILR

Post by rahulsharma » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 am

Hi All
This is the situation of my son university fees
2008 -Came to UK
2011 - Started university ( completed 3 years as Tier 1 ( G ) Dependent Category ) and paid Full International tuition Fees because does not ILR
2012 - Now granted ILR as an over 18 Dependent
Since he has paid as an International student fees for the first year ,The fees deptt. is saying he cannot change the fees in the middle on the course.

If anyone had a similar situation and they have dealt with it .
Please Advice !!!!

Greenie
Respected Guru

Re: Student fees with ILR

Post by Greenie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:00 am

rahulsharma wrote:Hi All
This is the situation of my son university fees
2008 -Came to UK
2011 - Started university ( completed 3 years as Tier 1 ( G ) Dependent Category ) and paid Full International tuition Fees because does not ILR
2012 - Now granted ILR as an over 18 Dependent
Since he has paid as an International student fees for the first year ,The fees deptt. is saying he cannot change the fees in the middle on the course.

If anyone had a similar situation and they have dealt with it .
Please Advice !!!!
as has already been explained in this thread acquiring ilr part way through the course does not result in a change in fee status. The student has to have ilr on the first day of the first academic year of the course. Click on the words 'category 1' in one of the posts above.