ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Entry Clearance from a country other than that of residence

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

serenasundai
Newly Registered

Entry Clearance from a country other than that of residence

Post by serenasundai » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:26 am

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone can help? I am currently in the process of applying for a work permit. I am told that I have to return to my normal country of residence (which is Australia), however, would rather not as I have to take unpaid leave from work, and it will cost me quite a bit of money that I don't have. Is there any way to obtain Entry Clearance from a nominated embassy in another country that is closer?

Thanks very much!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Entry Clearance from a country other than that of reside

Post by JAJ » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:46 am

serenasundai wrote:Hi there. I was wondering if anyone can help? I am currently in the process of applying for a work permit. I am told that I have to return to my normal country of residence (which is Australia), however, would rather not as I have to take unpaid leave from work, and it will cost me quite a bit of money that I don't have. Is there any way to obtain Entry Clearance from a nominated embassy in another country that is closer?

Thanks very much!
What's your nationality? And if you're not Australian, what's your status there (eg permanent resident?)

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Entry Clearance from a country other than that of reside

Post by Christophe » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 pm

Also, what's your immigration status in the country you're presently in? If you're working there, and therefore living there, that might be sufficient.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55 pm

On the presumption that the OP may be in the UK on an appropriate visa category then it is possible to switch status on form FLR (IED).

serenasundai
Newly Registered

Post by serenasundai » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:15 am

Hi... I am actually a Brunei citizen, but I have Permanent Resident status for Perth, Western Australia, and had lived there for about 14 years till coming to London. It was there that I received the current Visa I am on which is the Working Holidaymaker Visa.

So I am actually in London at the moment, and the company that I am working full-time for are applying for a work permit for me as my year's worth of work allowance is finishing soon...

Hope this helps! Thanks!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:48 am

serenasundai wrote:Hi... I am actually a Brunei citizen, but I have Permanent Resident status for Perth, Western Australia, and had lived there for about 14 years till coming to London. It was there that I received the current Visa I am on which is the Working Holidaymaker Visa.
Do you realise that it will become increasingly difficult to keep your Australian permanent resident status:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf