ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

2 questions - naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

naz444
Newly Registered

2 questions - naturalisation

Post by naz444 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:38 pm

I have 2 questions regarding the referees.

Applying based on marriage.

My friend is a qualified accountant who knows me personally for more than 3 years, can I make him one of the referee?

The photograph with the application, does it need to be signed by both the referees or just by one referee.

Please advise.

cricinfo

Re: 2 questions - naturalisation

Post by cricinfo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 am

naz444 wrote:I have 2 questions regarding the referees.

Applying based on marriage.

My friend is a qualified accountant who knows me personally for more than 3 years, can I make him one of the referee?

The photograph with the application, does it need to be signed by both the referees or just by one referee.

Please advise.
Qualified accountant can be professional reference. I don't think any referee needs to sign the back of photograph if you are applying for naturalisation. This requirement is for when you are applying for passport.

naz444
Newly Registered

Post by naz444 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 am

Thanks for your reply.

In the letter I received from NCS it was mentioned that they will not be able to process the application unless photo is signed by the referees.

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:55 am

naz444 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

In the letter I received from NCS it was mentioned that they will not be able to process the application unless photo is signed by the referees.
I checked the guideline again but can not see anywhere where it says that photo should be signed by referees.

SECTION 5: REFEREES & IDENTITY
Your application must be endorsed by two referees and a recent passport size photograph
stapled or clipped into the space provided. The photograph must show the whole of the
front of your face in reasonable light. It should not show your face wholly or partly
concealed by your hair (beards, sideburns and moustaches excepted) or by a scarf or
traditional dress. It should not show you wearing dark glasses or a hat, hood, cap or scarf.
Each referee should have known you personally for at least 3 years.
One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as a
minister of religion, civil servant or a member of a professional body, for example
accountant or solicitor (but not representing you with this application). A list of acceptable
professional persons can be found on our website.
The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional
person or over the age of 25.
Each referee should be:
• not related to you
• not related to the other referee
• not your solicitor or agent representing you with this application
• not employed by the Home Office
We will not accept a referee who has been convicted of an imprisonable offence during the
last 10 years and the sentence has not become spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders
Act 1974 – see page 16 of the Booklet AN.
If you are living abroad and do not know a British citizen who is qualified to act as one of
your referees, a Commonwealth citizen or citizen of the country in which you are residing
may complete and sign the form, provided he/she has professional standing in that country,
has known you for three years and the Consul considers his/her signature to be acceptable.
Checks may be carried out to ensure that the referees do not have unspent convictions and
are qualified to act for you and that their signatures are genuine. It is a criminal offence to
provide false information knowingly or recklessly punishable with up to 3 months
imprisonment or by a fine not exceeding £5,000 or both under section 46(1) of the British
Nationality Act 1981.
Once you have two referees and they have completed Section 5 you should recheck the
information you have provided and go to Section 6.

naz444
Newly Registered

Post by naz444 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 pm

I have checked the guidelines myself but I am going to get the photo signed by the referee since NCS asked for it in the appointment confirmation letter.