ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Kayalami or any one esle please get me out of trouble

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Faiqa
Newly Registered

Kayalami or any one esle please get me out of trouble

Post by Faiqa » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:52 pm

Dear Kayalami,

I've seen a lot of your replies on the UK forum and really appreciate your time and efforts to help others like me.

I am currently living here in UK with my family and got Canadain skilled immigration visa for myself and dependent visa for my family members. Our visa is expiring at the end of August 2004 but due to some family problems at home we are only able to spare two weeks of initial stay in Canada to qualify for the landing card.

Could you please be kind enough to answer the following queries:

1- How long is required to stay initially in Canada to receive the landing card so that later on when circumstances get better, it will allow us to go back without any problem.

2-What will happen, if my dependents do not accompany me first time and I go only by myself for two weeks. Later on after expiring their visa, if my family members wish to join me in Canada, how difficult would it be for them to come. Do they have to apply again from the scratch or just medical or I have to apply to sponsor them.

3. After getting the landing card, how long after I must return to Canada to keep the immigrant status.

Much obliged

Faiqa

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:21 pm

You get admitted as a permanent resident upon arrival, and your passport gets stamped - that's your proof of permanent residence in Canada. The PR card will be mailed to a CAN address you provide, but it's just additional documenttaion. In theory you are able to leave Canada on the day of arrival and keep your status. Your dependants must enter at least for a day before their visa expires. If not, you'd have to sponsor them again, this time as a Canadian PR, and show that you are able to support them economically for a number of years.

The rest of the info - see FAQ links to CIC web site. That's where you should have started.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:58 pm

Faiqa wrote:1- How long is required to stay initially in Canada to receive the landing card so that later on when circumstances get better, it will allow us to go back without any problem.
Once you satisfy the Immigration Officer that you meet all the requirments for 'landing' as a Permanent Resident your Confirmation of Permanent Resident counterfoil/ paper accompanying the Can PR visa in your passport is endorsed with 'not valid for travel'. The details in it are used to generate a Permanent Resident Card which will be posted to an address you give the IO at landing. The card is usually posted to you within a month of your landing date. The IO will take your photo for the PR Card.

There is no minimum period before you can leave Canada after becoming a PR. However to maintain your PR status you must be physically present in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. CIC have put in place allowances for those working for the Federal Government, those seconded by their Canadian employer on a'bona fide' basis and those accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse to ignore absences in such circumstances.

If you leave Canada before your PR Card arrives you should ask a friend at the relevant address to forward it to you upon recipt from CIC. Sometimes CIC will need to re-take your photos so if you are not in Canada this is a problem. You need a PR Card to re-enter Canada if travelling by commercial carrier i.e. plane, coach, train, boat etc. If you do not have a PR Card you must apply for a Travel Document (its actually a visa) at a Canadian Diplomatic Post e.g. Embassy confirming your PR status and valid for a single entry into Canada within a period of six months. You have to satisfy the Visa Officer that you have not lost your PR status when applying for the TD.
Faiqa wrote:2-What will happen, if my dependents do not accompany me first time and I go only by myself for two weeks. Later on after expiring their visa, if my family members wish to join me in Canada, how difficult would it be for them to come. Do they have to apply again from the scratch or just medical or I have to apply to sponsor them.

The principal applicant and any dependents can only enter Canada within the validity of the Immigrant Visa. You would have to sponsor your family for Can PR in the family class category. You need to demonstrate Canadian residence and a minimum Canadian income over a period of 12 months. Its best if they land now taking into account the need to repeat medical/ security checks and additional hefty fees coupled with undertakings of financial support for 3-10 years as pointed out by my fellow moderator Cosmopol for a sponsorship application post your landing.
Faiqa wrote:3. After getting the landing card, how long after I must return to Canada to keep the immigrant status.
See 1.

Note that if there has been a material change in your circumstances that you have failed to notify the visa office your visas are no longer valid and you will not be admitted as a PR or worse can be deported for fraud. Common problems include a failure to notify marriage, the birth of a child and convictions.

Congratulations on your success and hope things work out for you in Canada.

Kind Regards

Kayalami

Faiqa
Newly Registered

Many Thanks to Kayalami and Cosmopol

Post by Faiqa » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:49 pm

Dear Kayalami and Cosmopol,

Many Thanks for your time and kind advice. That is very useful for me. Once again really appreciate your efforts and help.

Kind Regards

Faiqa