ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Concurrent passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

tulmac
Newly Registered

Concurrent passport

Post by tulmac » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know whether its possible to travel on a concurrent passport using a certified copy of ILR while one's main passport is with UKBA being processed for naturalisation application?

Is this going to just cause a ridiculous scene re-entering at the frontier?

Cheers

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:39 pm

If you had used the NCS you could have kept hold of your passport while you wait for approval.

To answer your question, it might be okay but it might also be a case of the airline not allowing you to board even before you get the UK.

I don't know for sure what problems you might be confronting to wait for others to comment.

tulmac
Newly Registered

Post by tulmac » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:43 pm

aussie passport so wouldn't be declined by airline as don't need a tourist visa to board.

more interested to know how the actual immigration officer handles it. will it create so much trouble that its not even worth it?

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:37 pm

What do you mean by a "certified copy of ILR"?

Speak with the UKBA at what will be your port of entry prior to leaving and get their view as ultimately it is them that make the decision.

Better still, as has been said, use NCS and then you wont lose your documents during the process.

tulmac
Newly Registered

Post by tulmac » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:39 pm

[quote="friendinneed"]What do you mean by a "certified copy of ILR"?

Speak with the UKBA at what will be your port of entry prior to leaving and get their view as ultimately it is them that make the decision.

Better still, as has been said, use NCS and then you wont lose your documents during the process.[/quote]

A colour copy of my ILR that has been notarised by a lawyer.

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:56 pm

As I say, speak to UKBA at the port in question. I had issues with traveling during the process and spoke to one of the chief immigration officers at Gatwick who put notes on their system (CID) to confirm he had authorised re-entry. Had to go through the airports Business Services telephone number as it was the only one I found that wasnt just a pre-recorded message.

On the one hand, if I were them I wouldnt trust a notary signed document but on the other I'd expect them to have a system of checking records without having to see cards etc (evidently my expectations are far too high for governmental departments)

tulmac
Newly Registered

Post by tulmac » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks - calling on the business services line is a good tip.

I don't think they have a record of your visa/ILR when they scan your PP. Last time I came through LHR I could see their screen and it was blank. Maybe for watch lists and persona non grata rather than visa verification.

My guess is that they'd treat you pretty rough with a notarised/certified copy but was wondering if anyone had had any actual experience with it. Rather not get detained and made to jump through hoops if thats how it is likely to play out.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Have you used your second passport in the past to enter the UK? i.e. would it be "in the system". If this is a one off, you would probably be OK. You will need to wait some time while the IO would verify your details on their system.

As suggested, if you plan to travel, better to use NCS.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Have you already applied for naturalisation? If so, I believe that you can request return of your passport without this being considered a withdrawal of a naturalisation application.