ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI for Minors when parents holding indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

newc

OCI for Minors when parents holding indian passport

Post by newc » Thu May 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi,

I applied for my son's OCI but got the documents back stating that one of the parents need to have the OCI and parent's foreign passport.. Has anyone had similar situation?

We still hold indian passport while we got British passport for my son recently and surrendered his indian passport despite that they said that the for minors one of the parents should have foreign certificate& surrende certificate. Anyone had similar situation?

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Fri May 18, 2012 10:32 am

Please see the topic below where this is discussed. According to OCI rules, for a minor to achieve OCI status, one of the parents must be eligible for an OCI, i.e one of the parents must hold a foreign passport.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#581579

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri May 18, 2012 4:09 pm

It just proves that a minor having held Indian citizenship before acquiring British citizenship does not make him eligible for OCI in his own right - unlike an adult.

A bit odd. Perhaps the lawmakers had their reasons!
Life isn't fair, but you can be!