ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Self Employed National Insurance Contributions

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nsm2010

Self Employed National Insurance Contributions

Post by nsm2010 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:41 pm

Dear All,

I have been informed that for ILR, self employed national insurance contributions, type-2 are mandatory.

In addition, if the profits are above 5,650 GBP, there will be additional type-4 NI Contribution at the rate of 8%-9% of profits up to 42,475 GBP, plus 2% on profits over 42,474.

I would appreciate, if someone could help me out understanding the requirements in terms of NI contributions, for Self Employed Person or confirm the above information. Do I need to pay two types of NI contributions as a self employed???

Regards,

nsm2010

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 20, 2012 3:41 pm

One needs to pay Class 2 / 4 NI contributions to comply with tax regulations (not ILR). Not doing so may affect immigration applications.

Class 2 National Insurance contributions
Class 4 National Insurance contributions

That said, you haven't shared how you operate as self-employed. If as an employee (Director) of a limited company that you are a controlling shareholder of, then:
1. For immigration purposes, UKBA considers you self-employed.
2. For tax purposes, HMRC considers you employed (and not self-employed) and therefore you (employee) are not liable to pay Class 2 / 4 NI contributions.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Wed May 23, 2012 6:25 am

Sorry to come across as a pedant but ...
In addition, if the profits are above 5,650 GBP, there will be additional type-4 NI Contribution at the rate of 8%-9% of profits up to 42,475 GBP, plus 2% on profits over 42,474.
The class 4 lower profits limit has now changed.

For those filling in a tax return for 2011-12 Class 4 NI payable is 9% between profits of £7,225 and £42,475 and 2% over this. For 2012-13 it will be 9% between profits of £7,605 and £42,475 and 2% over this.

From a tax point of view (not UKBA) small earnings exemptions are available on Class 2 NI (£5,315 and £5,595 for 2011-12 and 2012-13 respectively) but do read this in light of what nsm2010 says above. I personally don't know about the ILR and Class 2 contributions situation and am approaching it from a tax point of view.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.