ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of relationship (chat logs etc) needed for fiance visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

st pauli

Proof of relationship (chat logs etc) needed for fiance visa

Post by st pauli » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Is this kind of documentation needed for a fiancee visa, or just spouse visa that didn't lead on directly from a fiancee visa?

If it's needed what sort of things is the sponsor/applicant typically asked to provide?

Also...is there any chance of our visa being turned down if we've only met once (albeit for a continuous period of two weeks, with my presence being registered at the British Embassy in that country so we can prove it) - the official rules say you only have to have met once, but is it still a grounds for refusal in practice that you haven't met enough?

Any insight much appreciated as I'm currently trying to weigh up whether it's best to go the fiancee/spouse visa route or move to another EU state...really tough decisions and I desperately need the sort of insight that you can't get from just reading the rules and regulations :(

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 pm

The requirement is that you have met. However, you also have to show that the relationship is genuine and subsisting (which is harder when you have only met once).

Read the guidance notes that the UKBA use when assessing whether the relationship is genuine. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Provide all and any evidence that you can to satisfy it. Note that one factor they consider is whether you have both visited each others countries. That alone is not conclusive the evidence is taken as a whole but it means that you need to go all out to provide as much other evidence as you can.
Hoping to be reunited soon

st pauli

Post by st pauli » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:32 pm

carlyann wrote:The requirement is that you have met. However, you also have to show that the relationship is genuine and subsisting (which is harder when you have only met once).

Read the guidance notes that the UKBA use when assessing whether the relationship is genuine. http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Provide all and any evidence that you can to satisfy it. Note that one factor they consider is whether you have both visited each others countries. That alone is not conclusive the evidence is taken as a whole but it means that you need to go all out to provide as much other evidence as you can.
It says ''the fact an applicant has never visited the UK must not be regarded as a negative factor'' . Is the reality a bit different to that then?

I have a half dozen or so photos of us together in her country, the record of me being there for one trip (registered with the embassy, emails confirming flights, hotel etc) and over a year's worth of chat logs. I don't know what else I can provide. It would be very tricky for her to visit the UK prior to us applying.

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:54 pm

If that's what it says then they cannot refuse just because of that.

The requirement is that the relationship is genuine and subsisiting. In assessing this they will take all evidence into account and are given guidelines as to the kind of things that would presupose that the requirement is met. It is not a checklist that you must pass.

Put yourself in the shoes of the ECO - they will see that you have only met once and ask, ok so on that basis is the relationship genuine? how does it and will it subsist? Why has there only been one meeting? You need to show as much evidence as you can against that background to show that you fulfil the requirement.

Hopefully some other members who are in this position can share their experience with you.

carlyann

Post by carlyann » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:42 am

PS hopefully some will respond who has personal experience but also add to your evidence letters from friends and family who can confirm that this is a genuine relationship for you, you are besotted, talk all the time about her etc - the same from her friends and family

A letter from each of you, how you met, how you communicate, how often, feelings for each other plans, why you have only met once in person etc.

stone_ta
Newly Registered

Post by stone_ta » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:55 am

When my partner and myself were going through the fiance visa process we tried not to leave anything to chance. We showed mobile bills which showed a breakdown of how much we called each other, how many texts I sent her. A list of dates and times from bbm during the 2 previous months (the most that we thought we needed because it was just reems of dates and times). Skype call history and any letters or postcards that we had sent each other in the past, that proved our relationship real. We also showed some communication between the 2 families that wasn't through us, letters of support from both of our parents and a covering letter from us + a few pages of photos.
This was a pre July 9th application so I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to your situation but I hope it helps in some way

st pauli

Post by st pauli » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:37 am

stone_ta wrote:When my partner and myself were going through the fiance visa process we tried not to leave anything to chance. We showed mobile bills which showed a breakdown of how much we called each other, how many texts I sent her. A list of dates and times from bbm during the 2 previous months (the most that we thought we needed because it was just reems of dates and times). Skype call history and any letters or postcards that we had sent each other in the past, that proved our relationship real. We also showed some communication between the 2 families that wasn't through us, letters of support from both of our parents and a covering letter from us + a few pages of photos.
This was a pre July 9th application so I'm not sure how much of this is relevant to your situation but I hope it helps in some way
Thanks very much for the information. So if you don't mind me asking, how many times did you meet/how much total time did you spend physically together before applying?