ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit residence card holder claiming benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NinaN
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit residence card holder claiming benefits

Post by NinaN » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:50 pm

Dear all,

I am an European citizen working and living full time in the UK. My non eea family member, my husband, joined me in December and just recently we received his residence card for 5 years issued in his pasport.
As my husband has a hernia he is not able to work.

Now is my question, is he able to apply for jobseekers allowence, disability , benefits or any kind of public fund support?
Are we able to get counsil tax benefits or housing benefits with me working full time?

Also if we are indeed able to apply will that have an effect on when we want to apply for his british pasport in 5 years time?

Many thanks,

el patron
Member of Standing

Post by el patron » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 am

Yes he has the same entitlement as you to claim benefits, he is not classed as a 'person from abroad' for benefits purposes and is exempt from the habitual residence test. The benefits office staff may try to give him the run around though! Print this out and get him to take it along when he is having a benefits interview!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006 ... 026_en.pdf

It is important that he produces your passport, marriage certificate and proof of your employment to obtain benefits under the legislative provisions.

keloid

Post by keloid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:33 am

el patron wrote:Yes he has the same entitlement as you to claim benefits, he is not classed as a 'person from abroad' for benefits purposes and is exempt from the habitual residence test. The benefits office staff may try to give him the run around though! Print this out and get him to take it along when he is having a benefits interview!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006 ... 026_en.pdf

It is important that he produces your passport, marriage certificate and proof of your employment to obtain benefits under the legislative provisions.

would it affect any subsequent application for a british passport ?

frankie36
Ireland

Post by frankie36 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 pm

I have a similar query. My husband has recently joined me in the uk on an EEA family permit. He is looking for work but as yet has been unsuccessful. We have not yet applied for his RC but are planning to do so after Christmas. Can he claim job seekers allowance now prior to applying for RC?