ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Certificate of Registration - Please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

downlights

MN1 Certificate of Registration - Please help

Post by downlights » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:50 pm

In the UK, it is customary to have a person's name in this format "Given name, Surname". For example: Tony Blair, Madhav Mehra.

In some countries, it is customary to have the opposite "Surname, Given name". For example: Blair Tony, Mehra Madhav.

Some countries issue passports that clearly distinguish Surname from the Given name. Unfortunately, my home country isn't one of those and using the above example my son's name would be Blair Tony on home country's passport.

In his MN1 form, I filled his name correctly under the appropriate sections to distinguish surname and given name. In fact, the UKBA recognizes this and in their letter of approval, correctly addresses him as Mr Blair.

However, this is how the UKBA printed his Certificate of Registration:

*Blair* Tony

Questions,

1) Why the asterisks that encloses the surname?

2) Why the reverse order compared to UK format?

3) Is it usual for certificates to be printed this way?

Any member who knows or has similar experience please help.

bobobo

Re: MN1 Certificate of Registration - Please help

Post by bobobo » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:30 am

thats how they do it dude, no point getting into details, they also have the fileds in English and French on the passport again this is something they do.
not sure how this impacts you.

FYI - Generally people are recognised by their last name rather than given names.
downlights wrote:In the UK, it is customary to have a person's name in this format "Given name, Surname". For example: Tony Blair, Madhav Mehra.

In some countries, it is customary to have the opposite "Surname, Given name". For example: Blair Tony, Mehra Madhav.

Some countries issue passports that clearly distinguish Surname from the Given name. Unfortunately, my home country isn't one of those and using the above example my son's name would be Blair Tony on home country's passport.

In his MN1 form, I filled his name correctly under the appropriate sections to distinguish surname and given name. In fact, the UKBA recognizes this and in their letter of approval, correctly addresses him as Mr Blair.

However, this is how the UKBA printed his Certificate of Registration:

*Blair* Tony

Questions,

1) Why the asterisks that encloses the surname?

2) Why the reverse order compared to UK format?

3) Is it usual for certificates to be printed this way?

Any member who knows or has similar experience please help.