ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion after BC and Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ukforever
Member of Standing

Post by ukforever » Fri May 24, 2013 11:08 pm

D4109125 wrote:
ukforever wrote:
junjun24 wrote:I am a EU citizen aged 23 applying for British naturalisation. The problem is I've only been living here in the UK for 5 years and 4 months and according to the Home Office website:
"If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, or you are the family member of such a person, you will automatically have permanent residence status if you have exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. You do not need to apply for leave to remain. You should have held permanent residence status for 12 months before you apply for naturalisation."
However, my mother has been living here for more than 6 years, therefore she has exercised EEA free-movement rights and held permanent residence for 12 months. My question is, can my mother and I submit our application together and is it possible for me to be considered as her dependant as I am still living with her or do I need to wait for another one year for me to apply for British Naturalisation?
i'm afraid u have to wait 1 year and more importantly isl,you need to confirm your PR ,which means u need to send an application EEA3 to the home office for confirmation of PR,then u have to hold it for 12 months and only then u can apply for citizenship,this is what i know,if i'm mistaken,i'm sure someone with more knowledge will step-up to rectify.
You are mistaken, you do not need a PR card to prove you have permanent residency. If you have exercised treaty rights as a qualified person for 5 years then you have permanent residency - settlement - 12 months following this you could apply to naturalise providing you meet the other standard requirements unless you are the spouse or civil partner of a British Citizen. The documentary evidence of continuously residing in the UK whilst exercising treaty rights would suffice.
sorry for my mistake but i thought i read something like that in one of the forums,i thought ukba ask for a confirmation of PR along with the application,otherwise when u apply for the citizenship how would they know that u acquired PR after 5 years,i mean u could say u have to supply 5 years worth of payslips/p60's and else..anyway,thanks for the heads up.. ;-).. and sorry for my mistake to the OP.
UK------++++-------****

junjun24
Newly Registered

Post by junjun24 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:29 am

Guys I've got another question.. In order to apply for a British citizenship one now has to also pass a so called English Speaking and Listening Qualification B1 Exam or to provide UKBA with a proof of an equivalent qualification (the changes to take place as of October 2013). I have got my GCSE English, I've done A Levels that are taught in English and I will be on my third year of uni in September. I have tried to find out if I can use one of these as an equivalent to B1 qualification, but I have not yet managed to find an answer. Please if someone can help me, I would be grateful.

eashkuma4
India

British Citizenship

Post by eashkuma4 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:15 am

Hi All,

One question, after getting British Passport, how long one can live abroad?is there a general criteria?

Many thanks

ric1982
Member of Standing

Re: British Citizenship

Post by ric1982 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:33 am

eashkuma4 wrote:Hi All,

One question, after getting British Passport, how long one can live abroad?is there a general criteria?

Many thanks
No limit.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:35 am

Why is everyone asking about leaving after BC :lol:

lynxukauq
Member of Standing

Post by lynxukauq » Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

When you apply for first British passport application after getting naturalisation certificate. If there are any issues with your photos, will they request you to send new ones or make your application invalid.

RoyalFlush

Traveling during BC Application

Post by RoyalFlush » Wed May 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi,

My BC application has been submitted. Based on current timelines, I am expecting a response in the next week or two. I would like to go traveling for three weeks. Can someone please advise on the following:

1: will the approval letter require me to sign (in which case I won't be able to travel)
2: same as in 1 but for the invitation letter
3: how long do I have to respond to the invitation letter (I seem to recall reading that a ceremony has to be attended within a certain number of days)

I applied through NCS so I am in possession of my passport and ILR card.

In addition, does anyone know where I can find a list of venues where ceremonies are held? I did my NCS at Castle Point Borough Council (Essex) as I live in Basildon. Does anyone know where the default ceremony will be held (Basildon council does not offer them)?

Any help would be most highly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

RoyalFlush

Traveling during BC Application

Post by RoyalFlush » Thu May 30, 2013 9:19 am

Just reviewed and found the answer to my third question. 90 days is allowed.

6.11.8 Where an applicant is required to take an oath of allegiance he must normally do so within the time limit of 3 months prescribed by the British Nationality (General) Regulations 1982 (or the British Nationality (General) Regulations) 2003, as appropriate). Otherwise the applicant cannot be registered or naturalised unless the Home Secretary decides to extend the period.

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Can someone answer this for me please?

I've already started filling in my passport application so when I have my ceremony afterwards I can just go and post the application. I'm thinking of asking one of my managers at work as a counter signatory. On the list of accepted counter signatories it says the person can be a manager of a limited company. I googled the company I work for and it says they are a limited company.

Did anyone else get their countersignature from their manager at a job at a limited company? And was the countersignature accepted?

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 pm

Astrid24 wrote:Can someone answer this for me please?

I've already started filling in my passport application so when I have my ceremony afterwards I can just go and post the application. I'm thinking of asking one of my managers at work as a counter signatory. On the list of accepted counter signatories it says the person can be a manager of a limited company. I googled the company I work for and it says they are a limited company.

Did anyone else get their countersignature from their manager at a job at a limited company? And was the countersignature accepted?
Hi Astrid24

I am in the same boat as you - just received BC approval today. For my BC application, I had the "Office Manager" (glorified admin job title) of my company sign as one referee. It is a limited company and UKBA had no issues with it.

Congrats and good luck now that you have recently also received your approval letter.

katievoroncova
Newly Registered

naturalisation - passport application route

Post by katievoroncova » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi everyone,

Please could you confirm that you only need to provide two kind of documents along with the passport application after naturalisation (on own rights, no parents/heritage involved): original (foreign) passport of original nationality & naturalisation certificate?

I'm a little worried as my parents do not have their birth certificates and they would not be in English if they did order copies.

Many thanks

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:36 pm

RoyalFlush wrote:
Astrid24 wrote:Can someone answer this for me please?

Hi Astrid24

I am in the same boat as you - just received BC approval today. For my BC application, I had the "Office Manager" (glorified admin job title) of my company sign as one referee. It is a limited company and UKBA had no issues with it.

Congrats and good luck now that you have recently also received your approval letter.
Oh brilliant! I guess one of my managers at work will be ok to use then. Thank you.

And congrats to you too! Woohoo! It's such a relief to get the approval out of the way isn't it. :D

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Re: naturalisation - passport application route

Post by Astrid24 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:41 pm

katievoroncova wrote:Hi everyone,

Please could you confirm that you only need to provide two kind of documents along with the passport application after naturalisation (on own rights, no parents/heritage involved): original (foreign) passport of original nationality & naturalisation certificate?

I'm a little worried as my parents do not have their birth certificates and they would not be in English if they did order copies.

Many thanks
Hi there, I was just looking at the required documents for the British passport application today. It says if you're naturalised as a British citizen you only need to provide your naturalisation certificate and any other passports you have as supporting documents. It didn't say you need parental information, and that should be correct, because you didn't obtain British citizenship through your parents. Hope this helps.

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:47 pm

@RoyalFlush

I just saw your sample approval letter in the other thread. Lucky you! You got an approval and invitation letter at the same time. Mine says I have to wait to receive the invitation letter from the council and not to contact them before I receive it.

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 pm

@ Astrid24

Thank you.

It is absolutely a great relief! Almost time to be able to stop worrying about getting all of the details correct for each and every application... and watching the rules change on a daily basis.

It has been a long journey. I don't think that those who inherit their citizenship by birth will ever appreciate it as much as us.

Such a joy to think that soon I will be able to travel without the need for a Schengen visa. Such a palava having to take time off work, doing the documentation, forking out $$$ and waiting tensely. I guess the good 'ol SA passport with be gathering dust soon.

Exciting times... :lol:

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Astrid24 wrote:@RoyalFlush

I just saw your sample approval letter in the other thread. Lucky you! You got an approval and invitation letter at the same time. Mine says I have to wait to receive the invitation letter from the council and not to contact them before I receive it.
I guess you can blame it on Royal Mail. I received both today but the approval letter is dated 30 May (sent 2nd class) and the invitation letter is dated 6 June (sent 1st class). :lol:

I am sure yours will come very soon - fingers and toes crossed :D

ayacheben
Newly Registered

Post by ayacheben » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:28 pm

hello just wenna ask you guys if you dont mind about the passport application form do you have to fill your parents details or not cos my parents they not british thats for passport application please thx

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm

ayacheben wrote:hello just wenna ask you guys if you dont mind about the passport application form do you have to fill your parents details or not cos my parents they not british thats for passport application please thx

You do need to fill in your parents details even if you parents are not british and you have obtained BC through naturalization... that is assuming that it is your first British passport.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 175798.pdf

See page 13 Section 4 Titled :Parents’ details for all first-timecustomers and all children under 16:

"Parents’ details for all first-time
customers and all children under 16

You must fill in this section if:
• you are applying for your first adult passport;
• the passport is for someone aged 16 or under;
• you were born outside the UK; or
• you are applying to extend your passport or replace a passport that has been lost, stolen or damaged.
Details of the parents of the person named at section 2 of the application form must be filled in.
"

As per another post, I assume that this information is asked not for ancestry but to establish bonafides and may be tested during the passport interview. Likewise for grandparents details. You can read more about the requirements for grandparents details here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... andparents

Good luck!

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:46 pm

You do need to fill in your parents details even if you parents are not british and you have obtained BC through naturalization... that is assuming that it is your first British passport.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg ... 175798.pdf

See page 13 Section 4 Titled :Parents’ details for all first-timecustomers and all children under 16:

"Parents’ details for all first-time
customers and all children under 16

You must fill in this section if:
• you are applying for your first adult passport;
• the passport is for someone aged 16 or under;
• you were born outside the UK; or
• you are applying to extend your passport or replace a passport that has been lost, stolen or damaged.
Details of the parents of the person named at section 2 of the application form must be filled in.
"

As per another post, I assume that this information is asked not for ancestry but to establish bonafides and may be tested during the passport interview. Likewise for grandparents details. You can read more about the requirements for grandparents details here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... andparents

Good luck!

ayacheben
Newly Registered

Post by ayacheben » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:28 am

ok thx for reply royalflush as you said you must fill the parents deatils cos this my first adult passport through naturlisation thank you again

RoyalFlush

Post by RoyalFlush » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 pm

you are most welcome :D

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:13 pm

I called the passport office today to check the status of my application. I just want to know if anyone who's gone through the passport process knows what this means because I didn't quite understand what the guy was saying.

He said there's nothing more they can tell me about my application until I receive the letter. Then when I receive the letter it will tell me that I need to book an interview. But until then there's nothing more they can tell me.

When I called them the other day a lady told me my application was under examination so I asked him, 'so does that mean my application is still under examination?'

And he said, no, my application is basically just waiting now until I receive the letter from them, and there's nothing more they can tell me about it until I receive the letter and have the interview. Then he said I'll receive the letter within two weeks. He said probably the latest I'll receive it by is the 4th July.

What does this mean? :shock:

Does it mean they're about to send out my interview letter to me? (I hope so!)

Does it mean that they haven't even started my application process? (I doubt that though, because when I called a few days ago the lady told me it was under examination).

Does it mean they're sending a letter asking for more info or something? (I hope not!!)

Anyway what do you guys think?
Please respond :)

Ayyubi72
- thin ice -

Post by Ayyubi72 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:48 pm

Astrid24 wrote:
What does this mean? :shock:

God is in control. He know best what it means. :)

Does it mean they're about to send out my interview letter to me? (I hope so!)

They are probably pondering over it. To send or not to send or to send.

Does it mean that they haven't even started my application process? (I doubt that though, because when I called a few days ago the lady told me it was under examination).

Actually you yourselves have started the application process by sending application to them.

Does it mean they're sending a letter asking for more info or something? (I hope not!!)

If they need more information then they will send you a letter asking for it. If they do not need any further information then they will not send you such a letter.

Anyway what do you guys think?
Please respond :)

I think something is going to happen for sure. Eventually you will get a British Passport.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:22 am

lol....
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Post by Astrid24 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 pm

@Ayyubi72 lol thank you for your insight. Really helpful, as always. ;)