ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Conunudrum

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jclawl
Newly Registered

Conunudrum

Post by jclawl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:12 am

For various reasons I have decided to try for British nationality but wander what my chances are in reality.
I'll explain in further detail, I am a German National born in 1980 to un married parents, who later split up (this I only recently found out. 3 years later my mother married who I thought was my father (Born in Eire and a Brititish Subject) who was a member of the British Forces serving in Germany, and from aged 3 I lived with them at various BFPO addresses. In 1986 my mother had my 1st brother and took British Nationality but didn't include me on the application so I therefore remained a German citizen, we all moved to the UK for 3 years, where my second brother was born, then Northern Ireland 3 years and then Cyprus for 3 Years (again a BFPO address). Eventually we ended up back in the Mainland UK and I finished my GCSEs and A LEVELS here, I have worked in the UK since 1993 (started on work experience and never stopped) and 7 years ago married a British citizen, we have since had a child 3 years ago, and have discussed me applying for British citizenship so that we all hold the same nationality. I have never applied for ILR as until a few weeks ago at which point I found out that my father wasn't really my biological father and that I then had no claim to citizenship through birth. Now a little confused on what the best policy is, though I assume my only option is to apply for naturalisation ?
Any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:17 am

As a German, you don't need to apply for ILR. This is obtained automatically after 5 years of exercising EU treaty rights in the UK for example by employment.

Apply for naturalisation using form AN. You will need to fill in section 2.4. Provide evidence of employment for 5 continuous years (the easiest would be 5 P60s to cover the last 5 years).
You will also need to pass Life in the UK test and meet the language requirement if applying after 28th October.

jclawl
Newly Registered

Post by jclawl » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:25 am

Thanks for your advise, I have completed the AN form, passed the LIUK and Provided 4 years of P60's and as I was unable to locate 1 years P60 I have also provided a tax calculation form from the Inland revenue as I had inadvertantly been paying too little tax on my second job for the year I was missing (and for a few years to prove employment prior to the 5 years), also supplied marriage certificate and wifes passport, Driving licence as thats what I used as ID for my LIUK test, and a note attached explaining why I was only now applying for British Citizenship.

jclawl
Newly Registered

Post by jclawl » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:08 am

Do I need to have confirmation of Permanent residence as until recently I didn't even know I would require it, seems everything has been turned upside down :-)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57 am

jclawl
Newly Registered

Post by jclawl » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:33 am

My Application went in Monday 23rd, received 24th but payment hasn't yet been taken and no contact received yet, presume this is fairly standard as its less than a week. Very frustrating having to wait as Need to have this completed carry on with the next stage of my applications. If only my parents had let me know years ago, this could have been done and dusted and probably a lot cheaper too !

jclawl
Newly Registered

Post by jclawl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:21 am

Any idea (guess is probably the more accurate term) on how long this application should take as its a fairly simple case, but then again more complicated ones seem to be going through faster than simple ones going by the monthly tallies.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:57 pm

jclawl wrote:Can people advise how is best to contact the Home office with regards the status of my AN form as I've had no contact with regards Acknowledgement of reciept, no payment has been taken and I'm just worried that its got lost somwhere along the way, It should be a fairly simple application but I have a Job waiting for this application to go through, I have emailed NationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk but they advise six weeks, is this the case? or is it possible to call and speak to someone.

thanks for any help !
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

jclawl
Newly Registered

Post by jclawl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:58 pm

anyone know what the "Nationality Progress email address" is ?

as following on from a previous thread ..

Can people advise how is best to contact the Home office with regards the status of my AN form as I've had no contact with regards Acknowledgement of reciept, no payment has been taken and I'm just worried that its got lost somwhere along the way, It should be a fairly simple application but I have a Job waiting for this application to go through, I have emailed NationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk but they advise six weeks, is this the case? or is it possible to call and speak to someone.

thanks for any help !