ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Further guidance on new B1 English Requirement

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

john353

Post by john353 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi tier1 munda,

Is that the correct link you posted, because it takes to the pdf dated 15 august and doesn't have the info you cited. Please check

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:21 pm

The link is correct and applies from 28-oct-2013. A statement of comparability and letter/certificate confirming it was taught in English will suffice.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

thomas82
Newly Registered

Post by thomas82 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:18 pm

Could one of the moderators/senior members of this forum please set up a STICKY like for the " ILR Dependant & Child Questions", for the new English Language requirements? It would be really helpful for people, who at the moment are running around like headless chickens, trying to find information as to which documents to submit.I really hope once you get enough information you will be setting up one soon.

And thanks to all moderators/seniors member for all the advice and information given till now.

john353

Post by john353 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 pm

The link is correct and applies from 28-oct-2013. A statement of comparability and letter/certificate confirming it was taught in English will suffice.
yes the link shows the updated pdf after clearing cache. Finally we have some clarity regarding this.

Amber, can we also assume this requirement is exempted for main applicants (tier 2 gen & tier 1 gen) who showed the proof at Entry clearance.

M2008

Post by M2008 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 pm

Since KOLL requirement is same for Naturalisation, check below from AN1 form which says they need both letter from NARIC

Extract from AN1 form
I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the United Kingdom and [ Tick Box ]

(i) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in english; or [ Tick Box ]
(ii) the qualification was taught or reaearched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada); [ Tick Box ]

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:57 pm

M2008, Nationality and Immigration applications are different.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

rajee120

Post by rajee120 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 pm

They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.

You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:

• A certificate issued by the academic institution showing:
o the applicant's name
o the title of award
o the date of award
o the name of the awarding institution
o that the qualification was taught in English.

1) I have Bachelor of Engineering (B.E) degree from India, is this a professional degree according to definitions of UKBA?
2) I do have my degree certificate and a separate letter from my University stating the degree was taught in English. My degree certificate does not state that the degree was taught in English. Is this a problem?

Regards,
Rajesh

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 pm

If the applicant is awaiting graduation, or no longer has the certificate and cannot get a new
one, they must provide an original:

• Academic reference from the academic institution on official letter headed paper. The
reference must show:
o the applicant's name
o the title of award that the qualification was taught in English
o when the academic qualification has been, or will be awarded, and
o the date the certificate will be issued (if the applicant has not yet graduated), or
confirms the institution is unable to re-issue the original certificate of award. Or
• Academic transcript on official letter headed paper. The transcript must show:
o the applicant's name
o the name of the academic institution
o the course title
o that the qualification was taught in English
o confirmation of the award.

tier1check

Post by tier1check » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:34 pm

I applied for ILR today at Croydon and it was success. I will post full details in couple of days but for English lang this is what I gave

1. main applicant
- bachelor degree certificate
- NARIC comparability letter
- Letter from university mentioning medium of instruction

2. dependent applicant
- Transcript mentioning medium of instruction

Hope this helps

rajee120

Post by rajee120 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Wow Congratulations Tier1Check.

This is a positive news and clarifies some of the confusion. Thanks for posting this information.

ununki
Newly Registered

Ancestry Visa Set(O)

Post by ununki » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:06 am

Hi Everyone,

Been reading all the posts in this thread and read the amended version of requirements posted not too long ago.
My situation is a little different.
I am applying using a Set(O) form with a UK ancestry Visa,
As such I never did a test when I first applied for the visa had to provide 3 generations of English birth certificates,

-English is my first language
-School certificate with AS level equivalent (English 1st language HG)
-No degrees only diplomas

Reading through all the information South Africa(where im from) isnt on the majority English speaking countries. Does this mean I need to do the ESOL test? Uk-naric have confirmed if I convert my English from school itll convert to a AS level in Egnlish 1st language.

My question is, do I need to do the ESOL test? Will the border agency accept a uk-naric certificate stating I have AS level English?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:03 am

For NARIC, the degree must be comparable to a UK degree not a UK A-Level.

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:49 am

Hi Amber

In light of the new rules - KOLL for settlement would the following be sufficient?

For main applicant:

- Life in UK test pass certificate
- Bachelors Degree from India
- Letter from University mentioning degree was taught in English
- UK NARIC comparability letter

For dependant

- Letter from University mentioning degree was taught in English

Would the above be fine?

Points based calculator for both of us awards points for Bachelors degree and english language as well. I satisfied English language through Bachelors degree at the time of EC in March 2009. Our degree certificate doesn't state medium of instruction, will the letter stating english medium( along with degree certificate) be fine or does it all need to be together in one certificate?

Also, what do they mean my vocational or professional qualification? Is there an example?

Thanks
tier1munda

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:50 am

That should be fine so long as NARIC confirm the degree was comparable to a UK Bachelor, Masters or PhD.

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:55 am

thanks Amber:)

regarding my other question, by vocational or professional qualifications, do they mean ACCA or CIMA or any other such qualification?

ununki
Newly Registered

Post by ununki » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 am

D4109125 wrote:For NARIC, the degree must be comparable to a UK degree not a UK A-Level.
Hi Amber
I called NARIC who advised me if i converted my certificate it would give me AS levels for English first langauge which from what I understand are superior to GCSE english 1st language or the ESOL.
UK Ancestry doesnt work on points either and I was never required to prove my english competency upon applying for it.

Thus if Naric converts my certificate and it states English 1st language AS level, Suresly this should be sufficient evidence of meeting the requirement. Ive read everything you have submitted but it just simply doesnt cover applicants with English as their first language.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:24 am

A-level will not suffice, must be degree level.

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:08 pm

tier1munda wrote:Hi Amber

For dependant

I have similar situation like tier1munda except the dependant have final marksheet/transcript mentioning "Medium of instruction is English". We will receive UK NARIC comparability by next week.

I have already passed my ESOL with B1.

Would that be fine?

Regards

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

It ought to be.

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Kirtay

Just out of curiousity, did you pass the TRINITY COLLEGE LONDON International ESOL Examinations
GESE Grade 5 Exam?

If yes, how was the experience?

Thanks
tier1munda

lake1

Post by lake1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:54 pm

Can someone please confirm that I will be fine with the below? am more than happy to do the exam as i dont want to pay for naturalisation application then told i didnt qualify based on that. Thanks.

ACCA has an agreement with Oxford Brookes University in Oxford UK that once you pass your 2nd stage in ACCA you can write a project to Oxford Brookes University who then issues you with a degree which is graded based on the project and the scores you had with your ACCA exams.

I have this degree from Oxford Brookes University, will this be considered OK for the new English requirement?

Just as information the certificate I have does mention ACCA on it.

tier1check

Post by tier1check » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:54 pm

Few members asked so clarifying that bachelor degree was from India
tier1check wrote:I applied for ILR today at Croydon and it was success. I will post full details in couple of days but for English lang this is what I gave

1. main applicant

- Letter from university mentioning medium of instruction

2. dependent applicant
- Transcript mentioning medium of instruction

Hope this helps

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:58 pm

tier1munda wrote:Hi Kirtay

Just out of curiousity, did you pass the TRINITY COLLEGE LONDON International ESOL Examinations
GESE Grade 5 Exam?

Thanks
tier1munda
Thanks Amber.

@tier1munda, Yes I have given Grade 6 because the lady at the centre insisting to choose Grade 6 for the B1. However, Grade 5 and 6 both are covering B1.

It was same as they shown on their website videos. 10 min conversation where 5 min discussion on my topic and 5 min discussion on 2 of their topic.

It is like you are having conversation regarding a topic and need to be able to talk in English.

tier1munda
Newly Registered

Post by tier1munda » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:07 pm

thanks Kirtay, much appreciated

Kirtay wrote:
tier1munda wrote:Hi Kirtay

GESE Grade 5 Exam?

Thanks
tier1munda
Thanks Amber.

@tier1munda, Yes I have given Grade 6 because the lady at the centre insisting to choose Grade 6 for the B1. However, Grade 5 and 6 both are covering B1.

It was same as they shown on their website videos. 10 min conversation where 5 min discussion on my topic and 5 min discussion on 2 of their topic.

It is like you are having conversation regarding a topic and need to be able to talk in English.

amitpattjoshi
Newly Registered

Tier 1 English Meduim

Post by amitpattjoshi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:17 pm

tier1check Congrates..

Really nice that you clarified this as I am on Tir 1 Geenral and I have university letter stating English Meduim and NARIC Degree compatibilty letter.

Thanks,