ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:36 am

The guidance is out now.
This page tells you how a person can meet the speaking and listening part of the knowledge of language and life in the UK (KoLL) requirement by having a degree taught in English.
They must also have passed the Life in the UK test, see related link.
This part of the requirement can be met if the person:
 has an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification), and
 provides appropriate evidence that the qualification was taught or researched in English.
They do not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. The qualification must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK.
You can accept that a person has a relevant qualification if they provide:
 A certificate issued by the academic institution showing:
o the applicant's name
o the title of award
o the date of award
o the name of the awarding institution
o that the qualification was taught in English.
Does this not mean, just the degree certificate and a letter from university that it was taight in english should be sufficient to prove.

I dont think a UK NARIC comparablity is rquired as well.
MOderators, guru's and as always Amber please can you confirm?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:38 am

The issue is:
The qualification must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK
The only way for UKNARIC to deem the comparability of a qualification is with a Statement of Comparability.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:47 am

D4109125 wrote:The issue is:
The qualification must be deemed by UK National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK
The only way for UKNARIC to deem the comparability of a qualification is with a Statement of Comparability.
Thanks Amber,

you are quite right, but since in the list of documents that a case worker can accept does not indicate anything about UKBA, rather it states as below, i thought UK NARIC comparablity certificate is not required.

And also, if you can see the english language requirement section for Tier 1 general EC / extension, even there it states, Degree deemed by UK NARIC, but none of us has provided a comparablity certificate ist it?
just our degree certificate provided.

A certificate issued by the academic institution showing:
o the applicant's name
o the title of award
o the date of award
o the name of the awarding institution
o that the qualification was taught in English.

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:48 am

Amber, is a statement of comparibility required for those who already proved English requirement at entry clearance. For instance I am on Tier 2 general and obviously I have proved the requirement at EC with a degree on PBS calculator. Am I therefore exempt from showing any further proof?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:53 am

Some degrees are not comparable so you would need some proof to show it was.

If you met a B1 EC requirement that should suffice in addition to the LIUK.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks. Just to confirm....so I only need to show the LiUK certificate as I am on Tier2 G and hence met a B1 EC requirement.

params0073

Post by params0073 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:11 am

So that means people who got there entry clearance for Tier 1 general visa didn’t have to get Naric statement as EC required C1 level ?

Excerpt from PBC for extension :-

If you wish to extend your leave in the UK under the Tier 1 General category, you must have ten points for English language equivalent to level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework for Language Learning.

Although it talks about extension not EC but I guess the requirement was same for EC.

Param

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:37 am

I would surmise so.

tier1check

Post by tier1check » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Degree was from India
Universal soldier wrote:
tier1check wrote:I applied for ILR today at Croydon and it was success. I will post full details in couple of days but for English lang this is what I gave

1. main applicant
- bachelor degree certificate
- NARIC comparability letter
- Letter from university mentioning medium of instruction

2. dependent applicant
- bachelor degree certificate
- NARIC comparability letter
- Transcript mentioning medium of instruction

Hope this helps
at least tell us that your degree was from uk university or from overseas university.

legend786

Post by legend786 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:14 pm

Guys!
Check out this website regarding new requirement to pass B1, level 3 ESOL exam, "link removed*"
This is easiest and most ecnomical way to pay and pass this test without any problem even if you speak very basic english and they have got dates everywhere in UK as early as possible you wish to have because i myself going to appear in one of this exams soon and i am 100% sure it will work for you the same way it's going to work for me
Hope it helps
Good luck!

*Link removed by moderator.

Amber
Mood:

Re: Does your degree meet the B1 requirement?

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:03 am

D4109125 wrote:The following post is regarding settlement (ILR) applications and the additional B1 English requirement.

If you have an overseas Bachelor’s, Masters or PhD degree that is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English then that should suffice the new B1 requirement in addition to the LIUK test.

There are two assessments/statements offered by UKNARIC:

1. UKNARIC statement of comparability and

2. UKNARIC English Language Assessment

If your degree is awarded points on the PBS calculator this should suffice (include a print out) if the degree is not awarded points then:

I believe that the Statement of Comparability (thus the degree is deemed to be comparable by UKNARIC) and proof it was taught in English (either a certificate or letter from the institution) should suffice as per the Home Office Guidance at page 35.

For naturalisation: the same should apply.

params0073

Post by params0073 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:13 am

Sorry Amber, just to confirm if your degree awards you 10 point on PBC then you just need print out?

Param

karthi305
Newly Registered

PBS Points

Post by karthi305 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:24 am

Amber,

Is it now confirmed that if anyone has 10points for thier degree in PBS calculator , need not required to submit any other proof other than Original Degree certificate. The reason i am asking is I am work permit holder not tier 2.

thanks for your eeply,
Karthik

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:34 am

It would appear so, yes.

t_india

Post by t_india » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:25 pm

D4109125 wrote:It would appear so, yes.
HI Amber,

Is this the case for dependant also? can we use PBC print out for dependants as well?

As i have already applied for UK NARIC comparablity certiftcate yesterday for me, but not for my wife.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:02 pm

I see no reason why not.

t_india

Post by t_india » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 pm

ote="D4109125"]I see no reason why not.[/quote]

thank you mate

gana
Newly Registered

success ILR with only Degree

Post by gana » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to give you an update. I got ILR for my wife & me. I have shown only her degree and PBS calculator print out.

Got on 1st of Nov 2013. Hope this helps.

PEO : croydon
Last edited by gana on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

BalajiSundaram
Newly Registered

Re: success ILR with only Degree

Post by BalajiSundaram » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:06 am

gana wrote:Hi Guys,

Just to give you an update. I got ILR for my wife & me. I have shown only her degree and PBS calculator print out.

Congratulations :). Please can we know which PEO did you apply?

Thanks

params0073

Re: success ILR with only Degree

Post by params0073 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:50 am

gana wrote:Hi Guys,

Excellent mate. Can you please explain bit more about your PEO experience?

Param

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:53 am

D4109125 wrote:The following post is regarding settlement (ILR) applications and the additional B1 English requirement.

If you have an overseas Bachelor’s, Masters or PhD degree that is comparable to a UK degree and was taught in English then that should suffice the new B1 requirement in addition to the LIUK test.

If your degree is awarded points on the PBS calculator this should suffice (include a print out) if the degree is not awarded points then:

I believe that the Statement of Comparability (thus the degree is deemed to be comparable by UKNARIC) and proof it was taught in English (either a certificate or letter from the institution) should suffice as per the Home Office Guidance at page 35.
Hi All,

I know there is already a big confusion with many different answers and options to prove B1 level. I have received reply from KnowledgeofLifePolicQuery@homeoffice which still ask UK NARIC ELA along with Statement of Comparability. Below is their reply:

You state that you have achieved a degree overseas which UK NARIC has confirmed meets the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom. You should submit this letter with your application for settlement in the UK. In addition, unless this degree was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country, you will also need to submit confirmation from UK NARIC that this degree was taught or researched in English.

My Question was:
I am writing you to get more information regarding changes in KOLL requirement for settlement application after 28 October, 2013.

According to the new rule, all applicants need to demonstrate their English speaking and listening at B1 CEFR or higher level. It also clarifies that, applicants who have overseas degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. They need to present the statement of Comparability from UK NARIC comparing their overseas degree with UK standard.

I have received UK NARIC's "Statement of Comparability" which compares my overseas degree with UK degree standard. However, I am not sure if I need any further English Language Assessment from UK NARIC to compare the level of English to B1 or above. I have my final mark sheet which mentions that "Medium of instruction is English". Do you think that will suffice to provide my English Language level up to B1? Will I need letter from my University as well to support my Final Certificate to prove medium of instruction?

thomas82
Newly Registered

Post by thomas82 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Kirtay wrote:

Hi All,

I know there is already a big confusion with many different answers and options to prove B1 level. I have received reply from KnowledgeofLifePolicQuery@homeoffice which still ask UK NARIC ELA along with Statement of Comparability. Below is their reply:

You state that you have achieved a degree overseas which UK NARIC has confirmed meets the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the United Kingdom. You should submit this letter with your application for settlement in the UK. In addition, unless this degree was taught or researched in a majority English speaking country, you will also need to submit confirmation from UK NARIC that this degree was taught or researched in English.

My Question was:
I am writing you to get more information regarding changes in KOLL requirement for settlement application after 28 October, 2013.

According to the new rule, all applicants need to demonstrate their English speaking and listening at B1 CEFR or higher level. It also clarifies that, applicants who have overseas degree taught in English will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. They need to present the statement of Comparability from UK NARIC comparing their overseas degree with UK standard.

I have received UK NARIC's "Statement of Comparability" which compares my overseas degree with UK degree standard. However, I am not sure if I need any further English Language Assessment from UK NARIC to compare the level of English to B1 or above. I have my final mark sheet which mentions that "Medium of instruction is English". Do you think that will suffice to provide my English Language level up to B1? Will I need letter from my University as well to support my Final Certificate to prove medium of instruction?
Where did you get this email address, KnowledgeofLifePolicQuery@homeoffice, from? This doesn't appear to be valid email address. Would you please be able to provide us with the correct email address?

Kirtay

Post by Kirtay » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:22 pm

thomas82 wrote: Where did you get this email address, KnowledgeofLifePolicQuery@homeoffice, from? This doesn't appear to be valid email address. Would you please be able to provide us with the correct email address?
KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

niranjany
Newly Registered

Post by niranjany » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Do i need to provide UK NARIC statement of compatibility and medium of instruction in English for USA University Master's degree?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:37 pm

No, just a print our from the PBS calculator or if not, the statement of comparability.