ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse coming to UK -as PSW dependent or General Visitor?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

anandm
Newly Registered

Spouse coming to UK -as PSW dependent or General Visitor?

Post by anandm » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello Guys,
I would be grateful if you could help me out here.

My current PSW visa expires in 2 months and I am wondering on which visa should I bring my spouse here.
W.r.t PSW dependent - Can I apply for a dependent with only 2 months on my current visa?
I was thinking of applying a visitor visa and say that its for a short trip to visit UK and return in Jan, as my visa expires. My concern is, if there is a possibility of PSW dependent - then they may reject the general visa application.

Thanks for the help..

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:46 pm

If you have planned to switch into another category after 2 months then simply bring your spouse on dependent visa on the category you will apply.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

anandm
Newly Registered

Post by anandm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Sheraz7,
thanks for the reply.. yes but switching into tier 2 process would take some time. So I was checking the possibility of getting my spouse with a visitor visa.
Also, is there any clause stating that in order to apply for a PSW dependent, there should be a minimum of 6 months validity of visa from date of application ?
If thats the case, then there wont be this scenario of the Visa officer questioning on why applying for Visitor rather than PSW dependent..

sheraz7
Respected Guru

Post by sheraz7 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Even if there is no clause but your 2 months could be ended up with the processing time of your partner dependent visa and you yourself need to switch into other category before your current leave expires. If the criteria of visitor visa is successfully met then I do not think they will ask about applying psw dependent visa while having a valid visitor visa.
Please donot send PM. Write in open forum to facilitate others too.
REGARDS

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:30 am

Unfortunately, if she later wishes to switch in the UK to dep leave then:
7.22 wrote:The present requirement (that only those who entered the UK as dependants can apply in-country as dependants) is therefore being amended to bring it more in line with the changes to the Rules for family members of British citizens and settled persons set out in HC 194 (laid before Parliament on 13 June 2012). The changes will mean that applicants can apply in-country as a dependant, providing they are not an illegal entrant, or were last granted as a visitor, temporary admission or temporary release. This also entails adding a definition of “visitor” to the Immigration Rules.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

anandm
Newly Registered

Post by anandm » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Thanks sheraz7 and D4109125 for your timely suggestions and the document..
Considering all the factors, it does seem sensible to wait till I switch into tier 2 and then apply for a dependent visa..