ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why are these questions on the EEA Family Permit form?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

frustratedbrit

Why are these questions on the EEA Family Permit form?

Post by frustratedbrit » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:54 am

I am a UK citizen with non-EEA family, using the Surinder Singh route to bring my family back into the UK, having worked in Holland. I'm currently in Holland, filling out an application form for a UK Family Permit using a UKBA on-line application form:

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/AppProce ... ation.aspx

I've got onto the EEA-specific questions, and there are all sorts of questions about savings, etc. Why are these questions on the form? As a UK citizen (indeed as any EU citizen), do I have to fill them out? And do I really need to provide documentary evidence to the appointment? I thought that the only documentary evidence I needed to supply was passports, marriage certificate and child's birth certificate.

So, what are the following questions doing on the on-line application form:

"How much does the EEA National spend each month on living costs?"
- Irrelevant to the application, surely?

"Do you intend to work in the UK?"
- Surely this is irrelevant; I thought any successful applicants will be entitled to work; And I thought that intentions were irrelevant.

"You answered 'Yes' to the question 'Do you or the EEA National have savings, property or other income, for example, from stocks and shares?' Please give details. You should provide full and current, independent and verifiable documentary evidence to support this. Please state which currency, e.g. US Dollars or UK Pounds Sterling."
- Surely they are not allowed to put financial restrictions on my residence in my own country, and therefore by Directive 2004/38 they are not allowed to put restrictions of my family either?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:35 am

The UKBA just reused an application form from the UK immigration route and never bothered to adapt it to the EEA route requirements. This was in 2008....

You can ignore most of the application form. If you can't ignore the question on-line just put - "N/A for EEA Family Permit".

In your case (a Brit returning under Surinder Singh), for the documentary evidence you will also need to provide evidence of your employment in the Netherlands and evidence of your family members residence in the Netherlands.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:08 pm

That's briiliant, thanks. Thought so, but wasn't sure.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Another question. I have completed the form, checked the details, and now I get this:

"Your Visa requirements have shown that as part of your Visa application you must also book an appointment to submit your biometric data. The available appointment location(s) according to your Visa requirements are shown below. If multiple appointment locations are shown, you may choose the most appropriate location."

"NOTE: Mobile biometric clinics are by appointment only and there is an addition fee for using this service (124EUR+tax). For more information please visit www.visainfoservices.com"

I thought these EEA Family permits were free. Also, is there really any need to submit biometric information anyway? Is this just another problem stemming from this hacked-together mess of an on-line application form, or is it something we really do have to do and pay for?

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Does anyone know about this fee? I just rang up World Bridge (from the link above), and they tell me I have to pay a courier fee of 87.50 euros per person for sending the biometrics info to and from the UK, and that this is unavoidable. This is absolutely outrageous. EU Directive 2004/38 clearly states that we cannot be not obliged to pay any fees. Can someone please comment on whether we have to pay this fee (175 euros total, given that there are two people applying)? If so, how can they get away with this?

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:11 pm

There shouldn't be fee but remember that WorldBridge is the processing company. They will have their own rules. You actually need to address your query with the [British] Embassy in question. Remind them of the Directive and they should be able to tell you how to move forward.

WorldBridge will tell you it's necessary to pay but they are a private company and wouldn't waive the fees unless the Embassy intervenes.

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:53 pm

The British Embassy phone line directs me to the phone number of WorldBridge! They also give a website for advice, which is ... wait for it ... the WorldBridge website!!

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:06 pm

Oh dear...if you can find any Embassy/Consulate email address just email it and see if they can transfer your email to the 'relevant department'

Where are you applying?

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:46 pm

Amsterdam at the mobile eugenics unit.

It's perfect in its horribleness, isn't it? The British authorities have divested themselves of direct involvement, by contracting out the arrangement. You're left dealing with a company that can only slope its shoulders and say "well, this is what we are told to do". It is in direct contravention of EU law:

Paragraph 2 of Article 5 of Directive 2004/38/EC states:
"Member States shall grant such persons every facility to obtain the necessary visas. Such visas shall be issued free of charge as soon as possible and on the basis of an accelerated procedure."

But it is impossible to challenge this (unless you're prepared for a lengthy legal battle), because all enquiries go to the same company, who have a very obvious commercial incentive not to "rock the boat" with the British authorities. As a British citizen, this make me feel sick.

chaoclive
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by chaoclive » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 pm

That is a hassle. I'm really sorry I don't know any other way to contact the Embassy in AMS. Fingers crossed that someone else on here will come to the rescue!

Otherwise (not ideal I know): put in a complaint to Solvit and see if they can do anything (the timelines will be an issue though). Also, email Your Advice Europe. They are normally pretty quick at replying. They might be able to dig up a contact in the Embassy; they are good at that and have lots of resources available: http://europa.eu/youreurope/advice/index_en.htm (fill in the 'make an enquiry' form).

Or, go to the Embassy (you might be able to get into the Consular Section) and see if anyone is willing to give out a contact for the visa section?
Last edited by chaoclive on Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

euroguys

Post by euroguys » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:20 am

Dear Frustrated the other alternative is to arrive at Port Calais bring your evidence nicely filed and get your family members a 1a entry clearance in France you could possibly do this direct from Holland to Harwich? but I dont know this route from any reports

Cost and dance of inconvienience 0

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 am

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:03 pm

@chaoclive, Thanks for that link, I've sent off an enquiry.

@Jambo, Thanks for the link. It looks like I have the choice of carrying the envelope to Croydon myself. I'm planning on popping back to the UK for a few days on my own about that time anyway. I wonder whether they would give me the option of collecting it too.

Graham Weifang
Mood:
China

Post by Graham Weifang » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:20 pm

frustratedbrit wrote:Another question. I have completed the form, checked the details, and now I get this:

"Your Visa requirements have shown that as part of your Visa application you must also book an appointment to submit your biometric data. The available appointment location(s) according to your Visa requirements are shown below. If multiple appointment locations are shown, you may choose the most appropriate location."

"NOTE: Mobile biometric clinics are by appointment only and there is an addition fee for using this service (124EUR+tax). For more information please visit www.visainfoservices.com"

I thought these EEA Family permits were free. Also, is there really any need to submit biometric information anyway? Is this just another problem stemming from this hacked-together mess of an on-line application form, or is it something we really do have to do and pay for?
As far as the biometrics are concerned.
They are free when you submit your application at, generally the offices of World Bridge.
The BM consist of fingerprints and face image.

You can make application at any Worldbridge offices.
If you are in Holland, then guess Dusseldorf is quite close to you?
Free BM taken there.

GW

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:24 am

@graham: Yes, I now know that. It's the excessive 175 euro (for two people) courier fee I'm trying to avoid. On calling WorldBridge they made it sound unavoidable, but it sounds like I can just take it to Croydon myself. Does anyone know if I can and if I can collect it myself too?

Graham Weifang
Mood:
China

Post by Graham Weifang » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:41 pm

frustratedbrit wrote:@graham: Yes, I now know that. It's the excessive 175 euro (for two people) courier fee I'm trying to avoid. On calling WorldBridge they made it sound unavoidable, but it sounds like I can just take it to Croydon myself. Does anyone know if I can and if I can collect it myself too?
I thought you were in Holland ?

GW

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:37 pm

frustratedbrit wrote:@graham: Yes, I now know that. It's the excessive 175 euro (for two people) courier fee I'm trying to avoid. On calling WorldBridge they made it sound unavoidable, but it sounds like I can just take it to Croydon myself. Does anyone know if I can and if I can collect it myself too?
Why do you need to send it by courier?
The normal postal service has secure options as well: called "Special Delivery" in UK or "aangetekend" in Holland. Sending a packet up to 2 kg aangetekend from Holland to UK cost 14.30 euro

frustratedbrit

Post by frustratedbrit » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:33 am

@Graham: I am in Holland. I am also British and occasionally travel between the countries, unlike my family who have to wait for the EEA Family Permits.

@fysicus: I don't know whether I need to send it by courier. That is my question. Courier is what I was told I had to do when I rang up the wonderful WorldBridge organisation on their 80c/m phone line. It is also what others have been told to do, from other postings on this forum. However, Jambo's link (see above) talks of people that were handed the package and "recommended" to use DHL courier, i.e. they have some choice over how it gets sent. My question is about the scope of choice that I have over how it is sent. I am allowed to deliver it myself, and I am even allowed to collect it myself?

Graham Weifang
Mood:
China

Re: Why are these questions on the EEA Family Permit form?

Post by Graham Weifang » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:30 pm

frustratedbrit wrote:I am a UK citizen with non-EEA family, using the Surinder Singh route to bring my family back into the UK, having worked in Holland. I'm currently in Holland, filling out an application form for a UK Family Permit using a UKBA on-line application form:

https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/AppProce ... ation.aspx

I've got onto the EEA-specific questions, and there are all sorts of questions about savings, etc. Why are these questions on the form? As a UK citizen (indeed as any EU citizen), do I have to fill them out? And do I really need to provide documentary evidence to the appointment? I thought that the only documentary evidence I needed to supply was passports, marriage certificate and child's birth certificate.

So, what are the following questions doing on the on-line application form:

"How much does the EEA National spend each month on living costs?"
- Irrelevant to the application, surely?

"Do you intend to work in the UK?"
- Surely this is irrelevant; I thought any successful applicants will be entitled to work; And I thought that intentions were irrelevant.

"You answered 'Yes' to the question 'Do you or the EEA National have savings, property or other income, for example, from stocks and shares?' Please give details. You should provide full and current, independent and verifiable documentary evidence to support this. Please state which currency, e.g. US Dollars or UK Pounds Sterling."
- Surely they are not allowed to put financial restrictions on my residence in my own country, and therefore by Directive 2004/38 they are not allowed to put restrictions of my family either?
The UKBA ask all this in the hope you will answer.
The more you answer, the more they will try to trip you up on.

Any good UKBA type agency, would have revised the forms, asking only teh required information.

GW