ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR- New English Language Requirement for Dependants OCT2013

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Your partner may also need the English Language Assessment.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

t_india

Post by t_india » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:51 pm

am1234 wrote:
am1234 wrote:
pegakrishna wrote:
am1234 wrote:}}

If my dependant has got degree taught in english. what proof do we need to submit to home office. Possible options I can think of is
1. Letter from university stating degree was taught in english
2. UK NARIC english language assesment?

Many thanks
Yes, I think the same. my wife got both docs and should be suffice to meet KoLL requirement.

Please correct me if I'm wrong
i couldnt see any mention of UKNARIC assesment or letter from university in statement of intent. could you?
I couldnt see the mention of UKNARIC assessment but if you have degree taught in elglisg say in india they will verify in assessment that it is at C1 level. Now the new requirement is minimum of B1. Therefore as its above B1 hence i presume it qualifies in english laguage assement.

Others please note if are main applicant and have already proved your requirements in intial application you do not need to prove it again. This only applies(in statement of intent) for dependants who had been approved Tier 1 dependant and need to apply for ILR. Please also note that dependants did not have to prove english language assement previously.
Hope it clarifies everybody.

I wish that it is like you have stated, which would savve our worry only for dependants.

Unfortunately, there is no mention that the new rule is only for dependants, explicitly.
Do you see an option in the new SET(O) released today, to indicate that we have demonstrated the english language reuqirement already as part of Entry clearance and extensions?

further i am not quite sure, what level of english language requirement at the time, when the person has got the EC can be cross validated some where.

At the moment, with the guidance shared with the BC, our understading is even for settlement we need to provide both statement of comparablity and english language assesment from UK NARIC for all main applicant and PBS dependant, as Amber has highglited in the other post.

Both the SET(o) application and guidance fo SET(o) refers, to the Koll guidance, which is yet to be updated in the UKBA website.
It is really a shame, that UKBA has brought in some rules, without enough preparation for themselves.

The delay in release of the application form itself proves their preparedness towards this new policy.

vickylol

Post by vickylol » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi
i have a bachelor degree from UK University. i need to asked that for proof of English Language what should i have to submit. Degree plus transcript or smth else do i need to do. many thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 pm

I would think the UK certificate of degree awarded would suffice.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

karthi305
Newly Registered

Anyone applied on Oct28?

Post by karthi305 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:50 am

All, Is there anyone applied on Oct28 Monday and got any feedback from Application centre or success strories about the new language requirement documents?

am1234

New ILR Forms and ILR Guidance Notes

Post by am1234 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Dear All,

I am appying for ILR in 2 weeks time and have noticed that new forms are out today. Has anybody noticed any significant changes to the form and guidance notes? I am aware of the new English Language requirements.

Thanks in Advance

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:10 pm

I believe the changes to the SET forms were restricted to the new KoLL requirement.

intelinside
Pakistan

Post by intelinside » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes exactly. I scored 7.5 in IELTS when I first applied for Tier 1 (General) entry clearance in 2008 and subsequently ticked the 'Proved Eng Language in EC' option in my extension application.

If you look at the new SET (O), section 4 (4.3), they haven't provided this 'exemption' option as they did in the extension form.

But I am thinking to tick the 'English language speaking and listening qualification' option as I did IELTS for my EC.

Do you guys think it is right thing to do?
T1ilr wrote:The below paragraph says it all in page number 5 in the "statement of intent".

English Language Qualifications
We will accept a range of English language qualifications as evidence that an applicant has
met the requirement to hold a B1 level speaking and listening qualification. This will help ensure that all those needing to take a test will be able to find one suitable for their needs and, so far
as possible, that no one who already has an English language qualification at B1 or above will
be required to take another one. So, [u]for example, a person applying for settlement as a Tier 2 (General) migrant who has already demonstrated a knowledge of English equivalent to B1 level in order to qualify for entry clearance, will not have to take a further test at settlement stage.[/u]

kashifmasud
Newly Registered

Post by kashifmasud » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Well what I understand from the new rule & new ILR Application Form, those who previously proved their proficiency in English may not have to prove it again as if it was taught in English etc...

For dependent or rest, following is the statement from the English Req. document

The following groups are considered automatically to meet the English language component of the
KoLL requirement and will not be required to show a formal speaking and listening qualification:
• Nationals of majority English speaking countries (Annex A).
• Those who have obtained a degree taught in English.

But just to get the Overseas degree verified from Naric will cost £55/- and ESOL exam is around £100/...so may be its worth giving exam instead just to be sure ???

johann79
Newly Registered

Sharing experience

Post by johann79 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Hey guys,
Just to share my experience, I just got my ILR yesterday at the Cardiff PEO office. For the KOLL requirements, my IELTS score was in Band 8.0 which is higher than B1 and I used the test result for my Tier 1 visa back in 08. If you 've already taken it you don't have to do it again. My wife did not do any of the Englisht test, however her Bachelor's Degree was taught in English. The degree was taught in Malaysia and we got a letter from them as well as a statement of comparability from Naric. That itself was suffice for the Home Office. I recommend going for the same day appointment if you can. Good luck to those applying

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Congrats johann79! The info you have given is useful to others.

Can you please confirm if the only documents for your wife were a NARIC statement of comparability and letter from university stating it was taught in English?
Did they ask any questions like on NARIC english language assessment or point based calculator points?

johann79
Newly Registered

Re: sharing my experience

Post by johann79 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Hey john,
They only wanted to see the statement of comparability and letter fron the uni confirming the medium of instruction is english..no need for english language assessment...if the degree is recognised by uk naric that in itself was suffcient but we got the letter just for good measure..hope that helps and good luck

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:16 pm

As stated in other posts settlement team UKBA had confirmed that a print out from points based calculator is sufficient. If it is not listed in pbs then you would need comparability certificate from uk naric

john353

Post by john353 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks johann & t_india. My wife's degrees are not awarded points for english in PBS calculator.

I will show NARIC statement of comparability & university letter then:)

t_india

Post by t_india » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:32 pm

john353 wrote:Thanks johann & t_india. My wife's degrees are not awarded points for english in PBS calculator.

And obviously degree certificate

mego_1980

Post by mego_1980 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:45 am

t_india wrote:
john353 wrote:Thanks johann & t_india. My wife's degrees are not awarded points for english in PBS calculator.

And obviously degree certificate
I think if you have expired IELTS with overall score above B1 that should be enough.

john353

Post by john353 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:35 am

I had emailed settlement policy team at SettlementOpsPolicy@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk earlier this week to double check regarding validity of certificate from the University stating that the degree was taught in English for KOLL (if points are not awarded in PBS calculator). Copied below the reply from KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk which confirms that a statement of comparibility + letter from university is sufficient ;)
Dear Sir,
I can confirm that a certificate from the University stating that the degree was taught in English would be acceptable evidence that the English language level element of the KOLL requirement has been met. It is also acceptable to submit evidence from the PBS calculator, where the degree has been awarded 10 points for English language. Please see sections 5 and 6 of the attached spreadsheet.

I trust this answers your questions.
Regards
Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

silverliner
Newly Registered

Help......

Post by silverliner » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi there,
My wife's degree is from Malaysia too and have a letter to confirm medium of instruc. is in English. Her degree is awarded points but not for English skills though in PBS. Do you think she should get a NARIC letter or take an English test?

ukba-applicant-786
Newly Registered

ILR main applicant(Tier1 General ),NO-English-Proof Required

Post by ukba-applicant-786 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:48 pm

for ILR main applicant, NO proof of English is required. Only for the dependents English proof is required.

(I myself applied successfully for ILR and I did not give any English proof)

Macco

Post by Macco » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks for all useful information. Could someone please reply to my query, I am due to go for ILR in next month. My wife (Dependent) has got certificate from university, stating medium was English. Do I still need to go for NARIC comparable statement ? After reading many post on this forum, I have the understanding that it should be fine, but could some one confirm this ?

Macco

Post by Macco » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:35 am

Any suggestion/Comments.. ??

srikanth_ksun
Newly Registered

Re: ILR- New English Language Requirement for Dependants OCT

Post by srikanth_ksun » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi Guys

To clarify about the english language requirement, please go thro the content from the below link

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... nstrating/

Extract from the same about Degrees taught in English

Degrees taught in English

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the English language part of the Knowledge of Language and Life requirement and will not need to show a formal speaking and listening qualification. You can meet this part of the requirement if your qualification:

is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or PhD in the UK, or
was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada.
You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with your original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

You will still need to pass the Life in the UK test to demonstrate your knowledge of life in the UK.

I have highlighted the main content in bold and underline. Hope this clears the confusion :D

Regards
Srikanth Kalyanasundaram

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:30 pm

Dear Sir,

That's the reply I got from home office

Regardless of the fact that the degree was awarded 35 points by the points calculator, unless it has been awarded an additional 10 points for English language, , the print out would not be acceptable as evidence that the degree was taught in English. The applicant could request an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC, or provide a letter from the university, on official letter headed paper, stating that the medium of study was English.

Unless an IELTS qualification has been accepted for an earlier application, it would be invalid for the purposes of a settlement application.

Regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy & Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

yasa wrote:Dear Sir,

That's the reply I got from home office

Regardless of the fact that the degree was awarded 35 points by the points calculator, unless it has been awarded an additional 10 points for English language, , the print out would not be acceptable as evidence that the degree was taught in English. The applicant could request an English Language Assessment from UK NARIC, or provide a letter from the university, on official letter headed paper, stating that the medium of study was English.

Unless an IELTS qualification has been accepted for an earlier application, it would be invalid for the purposes of a settlement application.

Regards

Ann

My point is her degree is masters therefore UKNARIC will not do the English language assessment.
She used that IELTS for her student visa when she came to UK back in 2005. is that still acceptable.
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

anotherone_waiting
- thin ice -

Post by anotherone_waiting » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:20 am

Hi there guys,

I am due to apply my ILR in april and i did show my IELTS in 2009 when i initially got my Visa. I hope i dont need to show it again do i?

Also my wife is Tier 1 dependent and she will apply for further leave to remain (Tier 1) dependent, does she need to prove any english qualification at this point? One of my friends recently mentioned that she would have to take A1 english test.

Can someone please confirm the same?

Regards
Peace