ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife surname - how can we change it ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ranchers
Mood:

Wife surname - how can we change it ?

Post by ranchers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 am

Hi,

My wife has got her visas and passport with her maiden surname on it. we didnt try to change after marriage so visa has got the same surname which she used before marriage.

Is it a good idea to change when making british nationality application or get the nationality with old surname and change it when making a passport application ?

Thanks

Secondly can my wife apply with my british citizen certificate rather we wait for my passport to come ?

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:29 am

Hi,

I remember querying about this and HO came back saying to specify needed surname in the form and provide marriage certificate.

Has anyone actually done this way or you have to go through deed poll?

Thanks

s_anda
Newly Registered

Post by s_anda » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:54 pm

I enquired about that too and was advised by the NCS in my area that the form should be filled in married name and a note should be made on page 15, requesting to have certificate in married name.

Hope this helps

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:40 pm

Dug up couple of topics on subject, PM'ed, will see how it was in practice.

will keep you posted.

Heisgood

Re: Wife surname - how can we change it ?

Post by Heisgood » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:58 am

ranchers wrote:Hi,

My wife has got her visas and passport with her maiden surname on it. we didnt try to change after marriage so visa has got the same surname which she used before marriage.

Is it a good idea to change when making british nationality application or get the nationality with old surname and change it when making a passport application ?
Better with application see below.

Thanks

Secondly can my wife apply with my british citizen certificate rather we wait for my passport to come ?
Yes. If using NCS they can take a copy and you get on with getting your passport.

Yes this can be done quite easily with marriage certificate as proof of name change.

On the latest AN form Dated October 2013 do the following:

In Section 1.5 - Place the new surname you will like on the naturalisation certificate i.e. Marriage name

In section 1.6 - Other names i.e. first name and middle name(s)

In Section 1.7 - Full name with maiden name (before marriage)

Explain on Section 15 (Other Information sheet) you are changing from your maiden name to your married name and see attached marriage certificate as proof.

Lastly if it's a joint application (help others on the forum) then on Section 1.31 the husband will need to put the full name of
his wife (new name) and the second part (maiden name - before marriage)

When you get your naturalisation certificate it will have both names. The new name with a section underneath it stating your name at birth (maiden name).

When you apply for your passport it will carry the new name as per naturalisation certificate.

My wife did this recently and all approved with correct names on the certificate. All the best with your application.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |

ranchers
Mood:

Post by ranchers » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:42 am

Thanks all and especially Heisgood. I will do the same atleast we have got an example now who has tried it.