ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expired IELTS and its use to meet the B1 requirement

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 am

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Why not drop an email to KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk, and take a copy of the response with you?

I am going to do the same.
I will. I've already written to them and await a response in writing. Furthermore I called the UKBA this morning and spoke to someone who said that if an IELTS test has been used before then it will still be valid regardless of being over 2 years old.

I asked then where I could find something in writing which confirms this on the UKBA website. He said there isn't anything, but he had to enquire internally about this previously so I could take his word on the phone.

This annoys me. I just don't trust 'phone advice' ever. Too many instances of misinformation and nothing to fall back on as proof.

I want to have something in writing which spells out the policy in plain English. There is clearly confusing/conflicting information on the UKBA with their "2 years" stated in the Expiry column. It could lead to people rushing out to complete a new test and spending upwards of £130 for no good reason in the belief that they have to supply a new test result.

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 am

skyscraper101 wrote:I asked then where I could find something in writing
Ann Woodall wrote:IELTS (Academic and General Training) is on both the SELT list, and in Appendix O of the rules, therefore would be acceptable as evidence that an applicant who had scored:

Listening – 4.0

Speaking – 4.0

has met the English language element of the KOLL requirement. The fact that an applicant’s qualifying English language certificate had expired would not prevent them from using their pass notification as evidence that they had reached level B1 (CEFR) English for a settlement or British citizenship application. They would not be expected to take another English language test, but will need to pass the Life in the UK test.

I trust this is helpful and answers your question.

Kind regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy &
Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Apart from this, if you want something written specifically to you then you should send a draft to the KOLL team rather than fetching it on the forum.

-HTH
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:48 am

Damanisshallo wrote:
skyscraper101 wrote:I asked then where I could find something in writing
Ann Woodall wrote:IELTS (Academic and General Training) is on both the SELT list, and in Appendix O of the rules, therefore would be acceptable as evidence that an applicant who had scored:

Listening – 4.0

Speaking – 4.0

has met the English language element of the KOLL requirement. The fact that an applicant’s qualifying English language certificate had expired would not prevent them from using their pass notification as evidence that they had reached level B1 (CEFR) English for a settlement or British citizenship application. They would not be expected to take another English language test, but will need to pass the Life in the UK test.

I trust this is helpful and answers your question.

Kind regards

Ann

Ann Woodall | Nationality Operational Policy| Operational Policy &
Rules Unit|Immigration and Border Policy Directorate | Home Office

Apart from this, if you want something written specifically to you then you should send a draft to the KOLL team rather than fetching it on the forum.

-HTH
But my case is an FLR (M) application - Application For An Extension Of Stay, not a settlement or citizenship application requiring KOLL also.

The above refers to 'settlement or British citizenship' applications (of which this is neither) and which require the KOLL. Therefore I still fail to see anything which cites the advice I was given over the phone that an IELTS test of over 2 years is acceptable.

jinish09
Newly Registered

Post by jinish09 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:12 pm

I think, this is time to stop all this, it sounds so stupid to me, risk the whole application, they must have had so many emails about this. If IELTS was valid after two years, that would have clarified by now on website, they saying it again and again unless it is used in past, it's not valid.

I guess, after spending all this years in UK if someone makes fuss of about getting 4 bands in IELTS, that's a joke :lol:

you better off, going back to school ! :wink:

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:41 pm

Hi jinish09,

The fuss is not about being able to score band 4 (not 4 bands) in IELTS, the fuss is about having to do it again, which costs time, money and above all is a huge hassle.

My partner recently took the IELTS since she hadnt earlier, and she had to spend the better part of a Saturday taking the test, besides it costing 135£.

So you are entitled to your own opinion, but people who can avoid doing it, will try to. And it does not sound stupid to me at all.

Regards
Challenges make life worth it!

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:49 am

Hmmm, as I can see, some got a bit different response, looks like only those, who used IELTS in the past, would be able to re-submit it as a proof.
Actually this exemption was already announced back in April and added to the rules, so they could not change it and came up with this afterward.

jinish09
Newly Registered

Post by jinish09 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:41 pm

That's the whole point, my partner is giving it 3rd time, but at the end of the day it's peace of mind. We are 100 % assured that our application will get through without any trouble. Money is one thing but when it comes to waiting after the application, you guys will regret it ! I might sound bit harsh but lets face it, we all have gone through lot of trouble to get so far!

You don't want to wait for them to clarify, the way things are going, the rules are changing every year, come April they might put application fees up and some more rules on top, you better off just giving test again and sort out your application ASAP.

psudz
Newly Registered

Post by psudz » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:52 pm

jinish09 wrote:Well, the so called Fact-sheet is not from UK Border Agency, it's not official document, check any official document from UK border agency, they always put the month and year at the bottom of fact sheet.

It's still not bad, 4 bands in IELTS, they expect 8 bands for Australia !

sort it out before they change the rules and increase fees in April 2014 !
The fact sheet is correct as I got one from UKBA

jinish09
Newly Registered

Post by jinish09 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:37 pm

good luck !

Tier1immigrant

Re: Expired IELTS and its use to meet the B1 requirement

Post by Tier1immigrant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 am

I received the same response from the Home office email address.

It appears they have been receiving a lot of similar queries and have drafted a standard response and therefore appears to be reliable source.

This is a very clear answer and does not leave with any doubt (regardless of previously submitted or not, the expired quals are acceptable for settlement), although would have been much better if it was obvious in the UKBA website, I hope they update it soon.

"3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?
The expiry dates on that list do not apply to settlement or citizenship applications. If your test is on the attached list it will be acceptable."

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Tier1immigrant wrote:I received the same response from the Home office email address.

It appears they have been receiving a lot of similar queries and have drafted a standard response and therefore appears to be reliable source.

This is a very clear answer and does not leave with any doubt (regardless of previously submitted or not, the expired quals are acceptable for settlement), although would have been much better if it was obvious in the UKBA website, I hope they update it soon.

"3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?
The expiry dates on that list do not apply to settlement or citizenship applications. If your test is on the attached list it will be acceptable."
I just wanted to update this thread for the benefit of anyone who is in my situation.

Our (over 2 year) IELTS certificate was accepted and the FLR (M) further leave to remain application was accepted/extended on Jan 2nd 2014.

While that response from the home office is all well and good, it really irks me that there is no plain English explination of the policy on the UKBA /Home Office website. Putting it on a personal email is entirely different to publishing this online. Doing so would have saved me (and presumably others) a heap of trouble searching out advice forums and sharing information based entirely on phone calls and personal emails.

Also that standard email response only makes reference to citizenship or settlement applications. It does not make mention of leave to remain, so the answer is still ambiguous. As a result many people could be needlessly led to think that a whole new English test has to be arranged and anyone who has ever dealt with the costs of this know that they aren't cheap. It's time the Home Office started putting clear guidance on their website.

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:03 am

Like if they care you mean.... the whole system is designed like that for purpose

skyscraper101

Post by skyscraper101 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 am

humanvoid wrote:Like if they care you mean.... the whole system is designed like that for purpose
What do you mean?

humanvoid

Post by humanvoid » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:17 am

What I mean is this way they are discouraging immigrants by making it harder (raising fees, introducing new requirements, giving out minimum information, applying rules retrospectively, use ambiguity in their definitions etc.)

kosgad
Newly Registered

KNOWLEDGE OF LANGUAGE AND LIFE IN THE UK REQUIREMENT-Fact sh

Post by kosgad » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:53 am

Dear Friends
Thanks for the useful information and links.

I understand there are many confusions regarding the LIUK and KOL for settlement / Naturalisation. Underlying fact sheet answered many of the my burning questions and i hope it does for others too.Copy of fact sheet for printing ( http://differenttouch.org.uk/wp-content ... _sheet.pdf ) I was surprised that the same document was not avaialble in UKBA site. It would always be very handy to have some mail/post correspondences to/from UKBA.

Those who want to receive the above fact sheet through a reply from UKBA( as an automated response from UKBA), send an Email to the following address
KnowledgeOfLifePolicyQueries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

I hope this helps .

Regards
Kosgad

KNOWLEDGE OF LANGUAGE AND LIFE IN THE UK REQUIREMENT

Qualifications Fact Sheet

Thank you for your enquiry to our Inbox. This sheet gives information about English language qualifications that can be used for the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KoLL) requirement. Further information can be found on our website, which we will update to provide information about frequently asked questions: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ypes/natur alisation/kol/.

If your query can be answered by the information below we will not reply directly.

English language tests

1. Will my qualification meet the requirement?

We cannot advise about individual qualifications. Your qualification should be at B1 CEFR level or above and be on the attached list.

If you are not sure if your qualification is one of those on the list, you may wish to contact the college where you studied.

2. Do I need to pass all parts of the qualification?

Some of the qualifications which we accept include speaking and listening as part of a wider qualification which also covers reading and writing skills, but other qualifications are available which concentrate on speaking and listening skills only. Those who are unable to demonstrate all 4 communicative skills are advised to study for a qualification that concentrates on speaking and listening skills only. We will accept a pass certificate for one of the tests on the list. We will not look at scores for each part of the test.

3. What if your website says my qualification expires after 2 years?

The expiry dates on that list do not apply to settlement or citizenship applications. If your test is on the attached list it will be acceptable.

4. I sent my documents for a previous application. Do I need to send them again?

Yes. Evidence that an English language requirement was met for entry clearance purposes is only held by the post abroad for a limited period. In addition, this information is not easily accessible to caseworkers in the UK. You should therefore send evidence of your qualification with your application.

Degree Qualifications

5. Will my degree meet the requirement?

If you have a qualification that was taught or researched in English you can meet the language part of the requirement if:

- Your qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to meet the recognised standard of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD in the UK, or

- Your qualification was taught or researched in an English speaking country other than Canada (see list below).

You will need to send your certificate as evidence of your qualification.

6. How do I show that my qualification is deemed by UK NARIC to be the recognised standard?

UK NARIC regularly update the online points based calculator (which is on our website) with information about various degrees. If you obtained a degree overseas and were awarded ten points for English language skill, you can submit evidence from the online points calculator, together with the original degree certificate, to demonstrate that you can satisfy the English language element of the Knowledge of Language and Life in the UK (KOLL) requirement.

Alternatively, you can obtain confirmation from UK NARIC that your qualification was taught or researched in English by requesting an English Language Assessment (ELA). Details of how to contact UK NARIC can be found at: http://ecctis.co.uk/naric/Contact%20Us.aspx

ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRIES

The following are classed as English speaking countries for the KoLL requirement:

Antigua and Barbuda Guyana

Australia Jamaica

The Bahamas New Zealand

Barbados St Kitts and Nevis

Belize St Lucia

Canada St Vincent and the Grenadines

Dominica Trinidad and Tobago

Grenada The United States of America

The Republic of Ireland is also included for citizenship applications.

RECOGNISED ENGLISH TESTS AND QUALIFICATIONS AT A LEVEL

EQUIVALENT TO LEVEL B1 CEFR OR ABOVE

Awarding body Specified English language test or qualification

Cambridge English

(previously known as

Cambridge ESOL)

Business Language Testing Service (BULATS) Online Test (Certificated version)

Cambridge English: Key (also known as Key English Test)

Cambridge English: Preliminary (also known as Preliminary English Test)

Cambridge English: First (also known as First Certificate in English)

Cambridge English: Advanced (also known as Certificate in Advanced English)

Cambridge English: Proficiency (also known as Certificate of Proficiency in English)

Cambridge English: Business Preliminary (also known as Business English Certificate Preliminary)

Cambridge English: Business Vantage (also known as Business English Certificate Vantage)

Cambridge English: Business Higher (also known as Business English Certificate Higher)

Cambridge English: Legal (also known as International Legal English Certificate)

Cambridge English: Financial (also known as International Legal English Certificate)

ESOL Skills for Life at Entry level 3, level 1 or level 2

IELTS (International English Language Testing System)

Cambridge International Examinations

Cambridge IGCSE: English as a First Language

Cambridge IGCSE: English as a Second Language

City and Guilds City and Guilds International ESOL (IESOL) Diploma

Educational Testing Service

Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet Based Test (TOEFL iBT)

Test of English for International Communication (TOEIC)

Pearson Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)

Trinity College London ESOL Skills for Life at Entry level 3, level 1 or level 2

Integrated Skills in English[/quote]

bangash
Newly Registered

Post by bangash » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:53 pm

has any one applied with expired IELTs test.....Any successful applicant on here? please I am so much confused here....I am in the same boat. Expired IELTS....I am sure you guys were posting all these posts in 2013 and should have ur citizenship by now,
Any replies will be really helpful....Also if any one did submitted an expired IETLS...what option you guys have ticket and any supporting letter you guys have attached...... please help ?????

techie_09

Post by techie_09 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 pm

Today I have received my approval letter using Expired IELTS certificate which I used for my initial HSMP application 6 years ago. You can also refer to Feb 2014 timelines post http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... l#p1012871.

Good luck to you.
Techie