ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Process

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

midbar
Newly Registered

Re: General Discussion During Naturalisation Application Pro

Post by midbar » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick question about documents.

I've applied for naturalisation in early January 2014 - requested my passport back from HO late Jan. I received my passport today in the post but what is puzzling is that they also sent my PR doc (EEA certifying permanent residence) along with it (I only asked for passport)... :shock:

I thought that this was one of those documents you won't see again - like proof of Life in the UK test pass - as you won't need it once you become a BC.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be worried?

Many thanks!

TheUnitedKingdomFamily
Newly Registered

Post by TheUnitedKingdomFamily » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:20 pm

HI good people. I have ILR since 02 may 2013 can I apply for naturalization 30 days before the 02 may 2014. Someone told me you can apply 30 days before the actual 12 month period. Please advise any possibilities please. Thank you.

TheUnitedKingdomFamily
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Application before actual 12 month period -30

Post by TheUnitedKingdomFamily » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:29 pm

HI good people. I have ILR since 02 may 2013 can I apply for naturalization 30 days before the 02 may 2014. Someone told me you can apply 30 days before the actual 12 month period. Please advise any possibilities please. Thank you.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:01 am

midbar wrote:I thought that this was one of those documents you won't see again - like proof of Life in the UK test pass - as you won't need it once you become a BC.

Any thoughts on this? Should I be worried?
No, you shouldn't be worried. They would have photocopied your documents and sent back what they didn't think they'd need. They will ask for them back if they need to see them again for whatever reason (e.g. poor photocopying).

Usually they send all documents (minus the application form and payment) back to you after they've made a decision.

octapply
Newly Registered

Post by octapply » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:02 am

Dear Moderators,
I have recently become BC and I would like to know whether my wife can naturalise as BC.
She got ILR through refugee status and for 2months now. We were married in UK and she's been in uk For more than 7 years.
Please would you guys kindly tell us whether she can apply for naturalisation.
Regards,

Just Wondering

Re: Naturalisation Application before actual 12 month period

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:43 am

TheUnitedKingdomFamily wrote:HI good people. I have ILR since 02 may 2013 can I apply for naturalization 30 days before the 02 may 2014. Someone told me you can apply 30 days before the actual 12 month period. Please advise any possibilities please. Thank you.
If you are not applying as a spouse of a British citizen, you must be free from immigration time restrictions for the 12 month period before application.

Perhaps you're confused with the application for ILR where you can apply for ILR 28 days before your visa is due to expire.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:45 am

octapply wrote:Dear Moderators,
I have recently become BC and I would like to know whether my wife can naturalise as BC.
She got ILR through refugee status and for 2months now. We were married in UK and she's been in uk For more than 7 years.
Regards,
If she meets the requirements (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/), she may apply for naturalisation as a spouse of a British citizen now.

TheUnitedKingdomFamily
Newly Registered

Re: Naturalisation Application before actual 12 month period

Post by TheUnitedKingdomFamily » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 am

Just Wondering wrote:
TheUnitedKingdomFamily wrote:HI good people. I have ILR since 02 may 2013 can I apply for naturalization 30 days before the 02 may 2014. Someone told me you can apply 30 days before the actual 12 month period. Please advise any possibilities please. Thank you.
If you are not applying as a spouse of a British citizen, you must be free from immigration time restrictions for the 12 month period before application.

Perhaps you're confused with the application for ILR where you can apply for ILR 28 days before your visa is due to expire.
Thank you ever so much, its confusing to be honest.

sumeetsaini@gmail.com
Newly Registered

Post by sumeetsaini@gmail.com » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:54 pm

Hi, iam applying for naturalisation after 5 years +1 ILR , but in the last 1 year i was less than 270days in the country - but i have a house in the UK. what are my chances, does anyone know some similar case in the near past?

octapply
Newly Registered

Post by octapply » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:57 pm

Just Wondering wrote:
octapply wrote:Dear Moderators,
Regards,
If she meets the requirements (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... ofcitizen/), she may apply for naturalisation as a spouse of a British citizen now.
Thank you very much for your reply Just Wondering.
What confused me is that even my wife ILR through protection route( refugee ) can apply and I just like to make sure it.
thanks again

batall
Newly Registered

Post by batall » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Pls My wife preparing to apply for naturalisation but her Previous English certificate (ESOL from Trinity College) has expired now. Does she need to retake a test again or can she use the expired one?

Thank you for you help

midbar
Newly Registered

Post by midbar » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 am

Just Wondering wrote:
Usually they send all documents (minus the application form and payment) back to you after they've made a decision.
Thanks, that sounds reassuring! Hope a decision is made soon - as they hold no other documents to send back. :)

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:20 pm

midbar wrote:
Just Wondering wrote:
Thanks, that sounds reassuring! Hope a decision is made soon - as they hold no other documents to send back. :)
They have your approval letter to send back! :)

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:26 pm

octapply wrote: Thank you very much for your reply Just Wondering.
What confused me is that even my wife ILR through protection route( refugee ) can apply and I just like to make sure it.
thanks again
It does not matter that she obtained the ILR through the protection route. :)

octapply
Newly Registered

Post by octapply » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Just Wondering wrote:
octapply wrote: Thank you very much for your reply Just Wondering.
thanks again
It does not matter that she obtained the ILR through the protection route. :)
Thanks for your help Just Wondering. Appreciated it :D

DB12

Post by DB12 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:32 pm

Hi,

can anyone please help me on my following question when can we both apply (joint application) for British citizenship? our status is as below. we are indian Citizen

ILR received - 14.04.13 (my self)
ILR received - 12.06.13 (my Wife)

Q1 - when can we apply together as joint application
Q2 - we both have passed Life in the uk test.
Q3 - do we need to provide any other qualification for the English

batall
Newly Registered

Help ! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by batall » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Pls My wife preparing to apply for naturalisation but her Previous English certificate (ESOL from Trinity College) has expired now. Does she need to retake a test again or can she use the expired one?

Thank you for you help

jassi55

Post by jassi55 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 am

hi . i got permanent residency under retained right of residence,and i have aplied for british citizenship , i have never done my biometrics so far .............at what stage i will do my biometrics , as i heard i have do it before i get passport ?thanks

yak2013
Newly Registered

Re: Help ! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by yak2013 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:56 pm

batall wrote:Pls My wife preparing to apply for naturalisation but her Previous English certificate (ESOL from Trinity College) has expired now. Does she need to retake a test again or can she use the expired one?

Thank you for you help
Hi Batall,
Your wife can use the previous ESOL certificate there is no need to reappear for the test. For the purpose of 'English Language requirement' for Naturalisation ESOL or other tests don't have an expiry date. Kindly check following link for details http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixo/

yak2013
Newly Registered

Post by yak2013 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:09 pm

DB12 wrote:Hi,

can anyone please help me on my following question when can we both apply (joint application) for British citizenship? our status is as below. we are indian Citizen

ILR received - 14.04.13 (my self)
ILR received - 12.06.13 (my Wife)

Q1 - when can we apply together as joint application
Q2 - we both have passed Life in the uk test.
Q3 - do we need to provide any other qualification for the English

Hi DB12,

Answer to Q1 : For joint application you and your wife can apply on or after 13.06.14 (12 months after getting ILR)..However, as an individual applicant you are eligible to apply on or after 14.04.13.

Answer to Q2 : There is no need to pass the Life in UK test again. Both of you can reuse the Life in UK test which you must have passed to apply for ILR.

Answer to Q3 : Yes, you both need to provide english language qualification (for example degree or specific english test). Kindly check following link for details http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... set/set17/

tunjy

Post by tunjy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 am

I have been living illegally in the uk since 1999
March 8 2009............I applied for leave to remain based on article 8
Sept 29 2009 .............1 year discretionary leave to remain was given
Sept 24 2010...............I applied for ILR
Nov 2 2010..................ILR was given
Nov 5 2011...................I applied for naturalisation
Dec 17 2011...................refused.The letter stated that I did not meet the 5 years residency requirement and
I can apply again anytime from March 8 2014.
My question is when can I apply for naturalisation? Is it from march 8 2014 or from sept 29 2014?
Pls ur advice is needed.

babe_khyber
Member of Standing

Post by babe_khyber » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:10 pm

in the link still showed Trinity College London ESOL Certificate. For immigration purpose the test is just valid for 2 year.
how can I know the passed esol test is valid for naturalisation without any problem due to expiry matter. please kindly reply or advise what can I do.
babe khyber

natapp
Newly Registered

Post by natapp » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:06 pm

Hello,
I, along with my wife wish to apply for naturalisation. I however have some doubts with this regards and will be very thankful to get some advise on the same.
1) First arrived in the UK 2006
2) Lost passport in 2009.
3) Got new passport 2009.
4) Got ILR in 2011 after producing letter from employer telling that my absences were less than what were allowed.
5) Since then i have changed employer.

. I have following doubts:-
1. Now, while applying for naturalisation, I do not have proof of my first date of entry as it was on lost passport
2. How can I prove that I was present here in the UK five years ago on the day I submit the application?(As in my case, it will be some date in 2010, for which I have no stampings as I lost the passport.)
3. The absences for 2010 till I received my new passport. The absences are not much at all, well within limit set out...

AMJAD158
Newly Registered

Post by AMJAD158 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I am going to apply for naturalisation as BC, i have not done any English test e.g B1 etc, thou i did life in uk test, When i got HSMP 6 years ago i had given letter from my UNI that degree taught in English, and that was accepted, i have not been given anything from UK Naric, and i have been ticking those options while my visa extension was going on. but now to get that exemption do i need to send smiler letter to homeoffice which i had given in past. and tick the option on page 5 of naturalisation form that,
I have obtained and academic qualification deemed by UK naric to meet the recognised standard of a bachelor's in th the UK and.....(i) UK naric has confirmed that the qulification was taught or researched in english.
or do i need to give B1 test. my ncs appointment is on 21st of Feb. could you reply please.

Just Wondering

Post by Just Wondering » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 am

AMJAD158 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am going to apply for naturalisation as BC, i have not done any English test e.g B1 etc, thou i did life in uk test, When i got HSMP 6 years ago i had given letter from my UNI that degree taught in English, and that was accepted, i have not been given anything from UK Naric, and i have been ticking those options while my visa extension was going on. but now to get that exemption do i need to send smiler letter to homeoffice which i had given in past. and tick the option on page 5 of naturalisation form that,
I have obtained and academic qualification deemed by UK naric to meet the recognised standard of a bachelor's in th the UK and.....(i) UK naric has confirmed that the qulification was taught or researched in english.
or do i need to give B1 test. my ncs appointment is on 21st of Feb. could you reply please.
After 28 October 2013, you need to demonstrate that UK NARIC deems the degree as one that was taught in English if it was obtained in a non-English speaking country. You do this by either:
1.) Obtaining an English Language Assessment letter from UK NARIC; or
2.) Providing the print out of the Points Base System calculator demonstrating that your degree would be awarded 10 points for English Language Skills under the PBS.

The points based calculator http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator. You can dummy most questions, but on the English Skills Requirement, put in your degree information, and it will say if you're awarded 10 points. You would need to print off the screen the shows the 10 points awarded for English Skills against your degree details along with the original degree certificate. If there are 0 points awarded for English Skills, then your degree won't meet the requirement.

If the PBS system doesn't award points for English Skills or UK NARIC doesn't deem the course to be taught to the requisite level then you'll have to sit an English test. See (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf)