ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Riff_Raff
Newly Registered

Referee question

Post by Riff_Raff » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:15 pm

I was wondering if I could ask a therapist who I see regularly as a non-professional referee? I've seen him during appointments maybe 3-4 times in the past 3 years. Would it be OK or would I need to look for someone else?

The professional referee would be my dentist who knows me as a patient.

I have some trouble getting referees as I have moved and changed jobs, I would need to wait another half a year for my current friends and co-workers to give me a reference and I don't want to wait.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Referee question

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:29 pm

Should be ok.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

haiksuresh
Member of Standing

Post by haiksuresh » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:40 pm

can i both the referees are professional ? Two of my colleagues are British citizens one was Limited company director. Other person was permanent employee.

Regards,
Suresh

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:48 pm

"employee" isn't a profession in that context anyway. And yes both can be on the professional list as long as at least one is a British citizen. But if one is just an employee then they need to bea British citizen.
Last edited by Noetic on Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riff_Raff
Newly Registered

Post by Riff_Raff » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:54 pm

thank you ! do they both have to provide their passport numbers or can they just put 'additional information upon request' ? I don't think it's going to be a problem but I have a feeling at least one of them might prefer this option.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:32 am

Riff_Raff wrote:I was wondering if I could ask a therapist who I see regularly as a non-professional referee? I've seen him during appointments maybe 3-4 times in the past 3 years. Would it be OK or would I need to look for someone else?

The professional referee would be my dentist who knows me as a patient.

I have some trouble getting referees as I have moved and changed jobs, I would need to wait another half a year for my current friends and co-workers to give me a reference and I don't want to wait.
Ref HO guidance on these vital questions:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... n-v6_0.pdf
6.3.7 For adult applications each referee should have known the applicant personally for at least 3 years.
6.3.7.9 Those acting in a professional capacity may not wish to provide their personal details. In such cases, we would be content for the person acting as a referee to put his or her business contact details. In addition, if the person does not wish their passport details to be seen by the person applying for citizenship, they can omit this from the form, entering “details available on request”.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Riff_Raff
Newly Registered

Post by Riff_Raff » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks! Does 'knowing personally' mean that being someone's patient is acceptable? It could be understood in different ways as in a HR officer who only knows you by name on the records is not acceptable but anyone who has personally met you and knows who you are is OK (and meets the 3 year & professional requirement) ?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:46 am

Riff_Raff wrote:Thanks! Does 'knowing personally' mean that being someone's patient is acceptable? It could be understood in different ways as in a HR officer who only knows you by name on the records is not acceptable but anyone who has personally met you and knows who you are is OK ?
In the context of a professional referee, I interpret "personally" as simply known in person.
It would be unprofessional for a professional to the cross boundaries into 'friendship'.

In the context of a family friend, "personally" would suggest a friendship or at least an acquaintanceship (more than the impersonal, curt nod and brief "good morning, how are you" of a professional relationship).

Saladin0011
Mood:
Czech Republic

Post by Saladin0011 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:18 pm

I have question related to referee. Is HO contacting them for references every time or only sometimes?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:28 pm

Saladin0011 wrote:I have question related to referee. Is HO contacting them for references every time or only sometimes?
Referees are hardly ever contacted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Riff_Raff
Newly Registered

Referee address

Post by Riff_Raff » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:24 pm

My dentist gave me a reference but he put his practice address and e-mail in the contact section, I was wondering if this is acceptable by the Home Office?

Riff_Raff
Newly Registered

Can a GP be my referee?

Post by Riff_Raff » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:37 pm

I asked for a reference today and my GP told me that they've recently stopped doing references for passports and such because they need to know you personally not just as a patient.... and he's pretty sure for naturalization it's the same.

I was wondering if that is the case and will Home Office accept a reference from someone who knows you as a patient not as a friend / colleague etc. ? I already asked my dentist for a reference and got it but was wondering if it's acceptable by the home office?

Riff_Raff
Newly Registered

Are my referees OK?

Post by Riff_Raff » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:40 pm

My dentist and GP have signed the referee form, I'm wondering if this is acceptable for Home Office as they both know me as a long time patient rather than personally knowing me (as in friend etc..). The also both gave the practice addresses and numbers and passport details upon request. Both British citizens.

In case if HO has problems with both will my application get rejected or will they ask me to provide different referees?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Posts merged.
No need for multiple posts.

noajthan

Re: Are my referees OK?

Post by noajthan » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:06 pm

Riff_Raff wrote:My dentist and GP have signed the referee form, I'm wondering if this is acceptable for Home Office as they both know me as a long time patient rather than personally knowing me (as in friend etc..). The also both gave the practice addresses and numbers and passport details upon request. Both British citizens.

In case if HO has problems with both will my application get rejected or will they ask me to provide different referees?
As long as not related to you (or each other); not your personal representative; no unspent convictions (etc) - then all good.

Professional addresses are ok.

If HO takes exception to one or other they will invite you to nominate another referee.
As explained previously, references are not usually taken up.

ujp
Newly Registered

Post by ujp » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know when are the referees checked? Is it an approximate time after biometrics? I was wondering if this could give us a hint about the stage of the application process...
Thank you.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:26 pm

ujp wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know when are the referees checked? Is it an approximate time after biometrics? I was wondering if this could give us a hint about the stage of the application process...
Thank you.
From many postings on the subject it seems that referees are not normally contacted. Of course HO can easily check them out via their systems if they wish but applicants wouldn't know. Suggest you don't worry about it - it would just be gazing into the crystal ball.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ujp
Newly Registered

Post by ujp » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:00 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
ujp wrote:Hi,
Thank you.
From many postings on the subject it seems that referees are not normally contacted. Of course HO can easily check them out via their systems if they wish but applicants wouldn't know. Suggest you don't worry about it - it would just be gazing into the crystal ball.
Thank you for your quick reply. I must admit, I was hoping that they would do the checking and the referees would be aware of it. That way we could get a sense of 'staying in touch' with the process. So yeah, I guess it's just a waiting game.... Thank you for your advice.