ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The difficulty in obtaining a Tier 2 visa [Warning for long post]

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nivota
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

The difficulty in obtaining a Tier 2 visa [Warning for long post]

Post by nivota » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi all,

Decided to create an account to express my sadness and disappointment on how difficult in getting a Tier 2 visa sponsorship for a fresh graduate in the Banking and Financial Services sector. If Board Admin does not see this right, please feel free to remove my post and I apologies for that.

So I have graduated last year from a UK university and tried to apply for Graduate Schemes in UK, in which the competitiveness of it has crushed me out from the league due to the fact that I'm not graduating from an Oxbridge or a Russell Group uni.

Despite that, I am now back to the UK under a Tier 5 GAE visa, having my internship in a financial institution (that does not in good shape today as the bank is shrinking), the bank is in a very difficult place to create a headcount for me, not to talk about visa sponsorship. Feeling so sad due to the fact that the reason I get this internship is because I participated in a cultural exchange programme, which there's an associated cost which I forked out from my own pocket, and now my future is in state of uncertainty, certainly not wish to go back to Asia at the moment as I wish to spend at least a quarter of my career life in an environment that I am not familiar with to further enhance my work experience, exposure, network connection as well as my CV.

To date about 5 months passed, and my current visa deadline is approaching (end of March 2018) I have applied to about c.300 job applications, in which all got rejected, there are lots of recruiters came back to me everyday, however all of them turn themselves away when they are aware of my visa status. This is a very depressing feeling every time when they say NO when all I need is just an interview opportunity. - Wondering what is the reason behind this actually? Is recruiters not willing to go for employer as it does not worth for their effort/no extra benefit or the employer is reluctant to go through all the paperwork? Every time they said they will keep my file and will alert me of any new opportunity - I wondered do they really mean it or just send my CV to the shredder in reality?

I thought of focusing on my language ability initially, using it as a leverage tool to sell myself, which I realised it does not seem to work as I need to compete with China-Chinese graduates as well.

I am now wondering whether if I should continue for Masters degree in UK, as going for Tier 4 would be much easier for any employer to sponsor me as it is exempted from RLMT. However I wonder whether if it is worth doing it as it cost a fortune (given that International Student fees are at a skyhigh rate and its forever-increasing), and ultimately having a Masters degree does not guarantee you will get a Tier 2 visa as it is ultimately at employer's discretion to hire you.

Appreciate if anyone could provide a word of advise for my next move, all thoughts and motivations are appreciated as I am really in a depressing point now.

A summary of my background/CV:
-Worked in international financial institution
-Vast experience in various sector including Compliance, Regulatory Relations, Chief Executive Office, Transformation, Project Management, Strategy planning.
-A law degree with average result
-Proficient in 7 Asian languages

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: The difficulty in obtaining a Tier 2 visa [Warning for long post]

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:49 pm

Have you applied directly to companies on the HO approved Tier 2 sponsor list or are you only applying to recruitment agencies?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nivota
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by nivota » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:54 pm

Both, I 'm keeping an eye on all the high-street banks as well as big4 and consultants firm every day, not to mention famous job sites such as Reed, Indeed, efinancialcareers, several famous recruitment agencies including black swan, LMA, jobsite etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:56 pm

What type of positions are you applying for (at what level)? Perhaps your expectations are a bit too high.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nivota
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by nivota » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:05 pm

I am looking at Analyst / Associate level.

I dont think I have high expectations as I do not have any particular organisation I want to go to (so long as they are willing to sponsor me a Visa, as well as an appropriate pay in London) An annual salary of £25,000 - £30,000 I would say its a fair fresh graduate salary in London - but please correct me if I did not get your meaning of 'expectation' right...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 pm

I meant your 'job/salary expectations' not a sponsor.

The minimum salary now is £30,000 for CoS issued after April (not sure if it applies to new entrant or not), RLMT has to be conducted as you are not switching from Student visa and a sponsor has to pay the immigration skills surcharge too. You also have to apply from home country.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

anina0816
Newly Registered

Post by anina0816 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi there,

Hugs first.... been there .... pat pat...

Tho I graduate from a good uni, but tbh I did my first job with sales... nothing to do with my major at all...

Since now I realise how big the language barrier could be.... I even couldnt speak properly after I graduated.
and that sales job push me hard to speak in front of ppl..... I practiced a lot...

One more thing i knew is some basic positions are not available for T2 anymore.....

So my suggestion is grab anything you can ....

Good luck for hunting!
Last edited by anina0816 on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nivota
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by nivota » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for pointing out what you meant.

I am aware that £30,000 is the minimum salary requirement - that's why I am looking for job in the industry that I can fit in - from roles in financial industry, to PA/EA type of role which I can leverage my language skills in.

If you think that my expectation is too high - please feel free to guide me to the right path, your kind advice would be much appreciated.

iworker
Diamond Member
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by iworker » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm

From my experience , i would say the following:
I never did, but apply in the strangest fields as well. Pharma, nuclear, actuarial, anything that is wildly not even relevant to you. (say) lidl (they pay big ).
Keep applying even if u loose hope. I used to apply 50 jobs a day.
It only takes one job application which will go all the way to your selection and eventually sponsorship.
Keep an open mind about applying to other open countries, like aus, NZ,

nivota
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by nivota » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:52 pm

iworker wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:36 pm
From my experience , i would say the following:
I never did, but apply in the strangest fields as well. Pharma, nuclear, actuarial, anything that is wildly not even relevant to you. (say) lidl (they pay big ).
Keep applying even if u loose hope. I used to apply 50 jobs a day.
It only takes one job application which will go all the way to your selection and eventually sponsorship.
Keep an open mind about applying to other open countries, like aus, NZ,
Thanks - the feeling of uncertainty just makes me so depressing - may I know how many jobs have you applied before you could land one which employer willing to sponsor you?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Have you considered any other visa options if you have access to substantial funds?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

nivota
Newly Registered
Mood:
Malaysia

Post by nivota » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:11 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:57 pm
Have you considered any other visa options if you have access to substantial funds?
I have considered other visa options such as Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) - however that is not possible due to the fact that I do not have access to substantial funds.

BigTeddy
Newly Registered
China

Post by BigTeddy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:44 am

Mate have you considered other places than London. It is difficult for employer to consider tier 2 applicants at the moment.

Here is my experience, I graduated from Imperial College 2 years ago. back to then all my classmates were looking for the jobs in those international companies xxxxxxxxxxx. Without a surprise, even they were all top grads, most of them got rejected and back to Greece or China. I sent my CV to headhunters and I got an offer from a small company in Bristol before I finished my courses. They applied tier 2 sponsor license for me and I am the only immigrant in the office.

During these 2 years I have learnt so much here not just knowledge also the way of British thinking, however I do realized it's not the best place for me to stay. That's why I start job hunting again about a month ago. Same as you, most of headhunters and companies would tell you it's almost impossible to get a sponsorship. There is a headhunter in London calls me every 2 weeks but she cannnot hook me up with an interview because of same reason. I got a call fromxxxxx, they want me to work for them, however after the visa discussion they told me sorry we want someone asap so even you are in our top list, we dont want to wait. (mate Im telling you this cause I know how you feel)

ANYWAY, about a week later I got a phone call from a company in Birmingham. After 2 interviews they are happy to do my tier 2 and offer me 40% RISE ! With this start salary there wont be any issue for my ILR requirements after 3 years. Well, after you got your ILR nothing stops you anymore lol.

My advise : be flexible until you get your ILR. Both jobs I got them less than a month from the date I sent my CV to the date I got the formal contract. If you are fresh grads your minimum salary requirement is about 24k but if you are experienced worker then it would be min 30k (in my case is 31.6k).

Hope this helps bud. Good luck

Post edited by moderator
Last edited by CR001 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Kind refrain form naming companies on the forum.

fielddrive

Post by fielddrive » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:48 pm

I hear you OP... wish you good luck!

dan883

Post by dan883 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Novita
London is a big city with big dreams. This is what happened with me when I graduated back in 2012.
I applied to hundreds of employers without any success.
I got through various stages of interview with a bank and spent 6 months in a hope to get 5 hours job every Saturday. I got a reply after another 6 months(after my query) saying the vacancy has been filled. I was in PSW visa. Employers will look both your visa and language especially when you are a starter.
I started a job with a small private employer for free. Yes FREE. Free for 6 months. Without single penny. Mon-Fri 9-5 . Because I was hungry for my academic job. I used to work evenings and weekends in a restaurant 7 days a week and lived with £350 a month. When my PSW visa was expiring my boss decided to hire me and applied for licences and everything worked out. Now that I am used to of working 7 days, I am taking causal works at weekends too even though I don't need to. I can't believe that I am living this life.
So my point is just keep good faith and keep trying and I believe if you want something by heart you will achieve it(London life's experience).
Good Luck

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:58 pm

dan883 wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:29 pm
I am taking causal works at weekends too even though I don't need to. I can't believe that I am living this life.
What exactly do you mean by 'casual works at weekends'? What exactly are these 'casual works'??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dan883

Post by dan883 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 pm

I have a strong feeling that CR is working for UKVI

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:07 am

dan883 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 pm
I have a strong feeling that CR is working for UKVI
Don't talk bollocks!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

dan883

Post by dan883 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm

why would CR then want to ask me what work do I do over the weekend?what has it got to do with her?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:23 pm

dan883 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:18 pm
why would CR then want to ask me what work do I do over the weekend?what has it got to do with her?
Because only certain types of 'second job' work is permitted on Tier 2 General. And no, I do not work for HO/UKVI, merely a person who follows the Immigration Rules to the T.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

PeterLove2008

Post by PeterLove2008 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi @nivota, heard you. Hugs. Keep trying. It depends on your longer plan. To work in banking industry, I would say a master degree will be better than a bachelor degree. But, again, when you graduate as a master degree holder, the situation won't be better in finding T2 sponsorship.

dan883

Post by dan883 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Thank God
By the looks of the question being asked, CR gave me an impression of undercover UKVI agent

The casual jobs I take over the weekends are off the book.Therefore I do not take anyone's permission apart from myself.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:40 pm

dan883 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:38 pm
The casual jobs I take over the weekends are off the book.Therefore I do not take anyone's permission apart from myself.
It makes no difference, you are in breach of your tier 2 visa conditions by doing this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dan883

Post by dan883 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm

See, the way you are replying. This is UKVI language. No mercy.

My visa was once refused and the letter said I should leave the United Kingdom immediately. So I flew to the solicitor in panic only to learn that I have 28 days.

Halloween is over please don't scare me.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:06 pm

dan883 wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:50 pm
See, the way you are replying. This is UKVI language. No mercy.

My visa was once refused and the letter said I should leave the United Kingdom immediately. So I flew to the solicitor in panic only to learn that I have 28 days.

Halloween is over please don't scare me.
I am not trying to scare you, but it is YOUR responsibility to know exactly what the rules are and what you are permitted to do while on a Tier 2 General visa and what you are doing, 'casual work off the books', is not permitted.

I have always been a 'there is a right way and a wrong way' person. There is no shade of grey for me when it comes to things like this.
Char (CR001 not Casa)