ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Arrival Time?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

justaask
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

British Passport Arrival Time?

Post by justaask » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

1) If you've had your Citizenship Ceremony, how long did it take for your British passport to arrive?

2) I am asking because I am planning to travel for work however, my British Passport will not have arrived by the time I depart so I will be using my current Passport with ILR.
- Has anyone been in this situation before and did you face any issues upon your return to the UK?

Thanks,
-J

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Passport Arrival Time?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

1) If you've had your Citizenship Ceremony, how long did it take for your British passport to arrive?
Did you apply using JCAP at NCS? If not, when did you apply for the passport?
2) I am asking because I am planning to travel for work however, my British Passport will not have arrived by the time I depart so I will be using my current Passport with ILR.
- Has anyone been in this situation before and did you face any issues upon your return to the UK?
You are required to return your BRP within 5 days after your ceremony.

When did you attend you ceremony??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

justaask
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by justaask » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm
Did you apply using JCAP at NCS? If not, when did you apply for the passport?

You are required to return your BRP within 5 days after your ceremony.

When did you attend you ceremony??
Yes, I did the JCAP and that was in November.
Do they start processing the passport part of the application as soon as Citizenship is granted OR once the ceremony is attended?

My ceremony is on 7th Feb and I leave on 16th. But I did not have a BRP - I had the old version of ILR which was a stamp in my passport.

Thanks!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Do they start processing the passport part of the application as soon as Citizenship is granted OR once the ceremony is attended?
Once the council lets HO know you have attended the ceremony, then HMPO process kicks in. It can take a week to a couple of weeks.
My ceremony is on 7th Feb and I leave on 16th. But I did not have a BRP - I had the old version of ILR which was a stamp in my passport.
Technically your ILR becomes void when you get citizenship but you should be ok to travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

justaask
Newly Registered
Mood:
South Africa

Post by justaask » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Thank you so much for all your help!
-J

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:14 pm

It took three or four days if I remember correctly to receive passport after ceremony, but things may go wrong and it could take a bit longer.

The correct advice is to not book a trip so close to your ceremony (you need to give it 3 weeks). If you need to do the trip and cannot cancel it, then move your ceremony to a different date. You do not have to take the first available appointment (of course it's all exciting and you want to get it over and done with, but you have loads of time). I ended moving my ceremony and in hindsight, even though passports arrived really quickly, it would never have been worth the stress and hassle of a last minute cancellation.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by smallpie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57 am

@ justaask

I did my ceremony 18th January, and out if curiosity I emailed my local council yesterday and got a reply this morning they notified home office the same day of the ceremony.
So I took it further to check with passport office, was told on the fone they got notification from homeoffice and they already sent out my passport yesterday afternoon smile ☺.

I said Oh, but I didn't get any text for the update, she replied, we didn't av any number on application form for u, so cldnt send text.
( am sure I put number on form tho)

Anyways, says it should arrive today or tomorrow.. So am waiting, as day off work today.

So it all depends on how fast your local council notify HO abt your ceremony attendance.

Basically if all done immediately, passport should follow within one week.

Hope this helps.
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by smallpie » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:15 am

Hi, Just an update.
Following the moment I posted on here earlier..
My passport arrived at my door.. Signed for.

So it took just one week exactly, from day of ceremony.

All the best to those still waiting or in the process

Big Thank you to this great forum, it has been part of me and very helpful in positive advices since the beginning of my family member residential card application till the end ( British citizen).
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.

trsiam88

Post by trsiam88 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:02 pm

smallpie wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:15 am
Hi, Just an update.
Following the moment I posted on here earlier..
My passport arrived at my door.. Signed for.

So it took just one week exactly, from day of ceremony.

All the best to those still waiting or in the process

Big Thank you to this great forum, it has been part of me and very helpful in positive advices since the beginning of my family member residential card application till the end ( British citizen).
COngrats on getting the passport, just wondering what number did you use to contact HMPO? I attended my ceremont on the 10th of Jan and still haven't received the passport yet.

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by smallpie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm

@ trsi

I used this number 03002220000.
And follow the options that suit the reasons of your call.

The person that spoke to me was really nice.

Wish you the best.

Btw, Av u contacted your local council first? To check if they send your ceremony attendance to HO? And if u also contact HO to check receiving info from your council??
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.

trsiam88

Post by trsiam88 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:15 pm

smallpie wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:48 pm
@ trsi

I used this number 03002220000.
And follow the options that suit the reasons of your call.

The person that spoke to me was really nice.

Wish you the best.

Btw, Av u contacted your local council first? To check if they send your ceremony attendance to HO? And if u also contact HO to check receiving info from your council??
Just spoke to HMPO, they say they have not received any notification from HO about my citizenship :(

I have written to my council now asking them whether they have notified HO of this or not.

To contact HO is it best to drop an email to NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk or FurtherNationalityEnquiries@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk?

smallpie
Member of Standing
Mood:

Post by smallpie » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:28 pm

@ trsi

Include this to the contact Email to HO citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk.

And if possible to call both HO and your local council too, they mite be abt give you quick info on why the delay..

I hope you get positive answer asap

My local council says they sent my notification to HO immediately I did ceremony that same day.
CITIZENSHIP confirmed.