ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US/UK Dual Citizenship Pitfalls?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kilgunas
Newly Registered
United States of America

US/UK Dual Citizenship Pitfalls?

Post by kilgunas » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi there,

I'm a US citizen who wants to live in the UK. I met with a representative at Citizens Advice Edinburgh and was told that I have a very good chance of obtaining US/UK dual citizenship because my father was born in Scotland (and he was married at the time of my birth). I plan to start the passport application process soon.

I am wondering if there are any pitfalls that I should be aware of as I go forward with obtaining a UK passport. Put another way: Are there any disadvantages to dual citizenship? Is there anything I should consider? Does the US care at all if I am a dual citizen? Any advice would be helpful, or feel free to refer me to a relevant thread.

Thanks,
Ken

vinny

Re: US/UK Dual Citizenship Pitfalls?

Post by vinny » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:06 am

You are also already automatically a British citizen under 2(1)(a), with or without a British passport.

A British passport would merely be evidence of status. However, it would be useful in the UK’s hostile environment.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:59 am

kilgunas wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:50 pm
I am wondering if there are any pitfalls that I should be aware of as I go forward with obtaining a UK passport. Put another way: Are there any disadvantages to dual citizenship?
Disadvantages? None that I can tell. Obviously if you get into trouble in the UK, you can't expect to be able to run to the U.S. consulate for help. But that kind of trouble is exceedingly rare in the UK anyway.
kilgunas wrote:
Is there anything I should consider?
Depends on how you want to exercise your 'rights'. For travel, the most important thing to be aware is that the U.S. does place some restrictions on its citizens' ability to travel to certain countries. Even though the UK will not have the same restrictions, you may be held to the American rules when going back to the U.S. or even perhaps when entering those countries. If you just want to live one place, and then live in the other, just keep in mind that there are residency issues that could affect voting, taxes, and other things. Really hard to say unless you have something specific in mind.
kilgunas wrote:
Does the US care at all if I am a dual citizen? Any advice would be helpful, or feel free to refer me to a relevant thread.
As already noted, you are already a dual citizen by birth. A passport merely represents that fact.A passport does not confer it or confirm it. If the U.S. had a problem with that, it's likely that would have come up for you by now (for example, possibly when trying to get a high level security clearance or something - though that's speculative). There are American expat boards on the internet that have faqs and such (can't post links here). You might consider checking some of them out. If you hgave any specific immigration questions, certainly we can probably help.

kilgunas
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by kilgunas » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:16 am

Thanks for feedback!