ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Newborn British passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bsc2007
India

Newborn British passport application

Post by bsc2007 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:36 am

I got ILR in Apr-2019. My son was born in May-2019. I am applying online for his British passport.

I believe I only need to send them the below original documents:
- Child's birth certificate
- My passports
- My biometric card

However, the online application system asked for the details of maternal and paternal grandparents and they have also asked to send the below documents for them:

Grandparents’ documents

Send all of the following for both maternal grandparents:
  • full birth or adoption certificate
  • grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)
And all of the following for both paternal grandparents:
  • full birth or adoption certificate
  • grandfather’s marriage certificate to your grandmother (if this applies)

Neither of the grandparents have their birth certificate or marriage certificate. All of them have passports with their spouse's details and birth dates. However, these are not available to be sent.

What should I do?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Newborn British passport application

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:46 am

Grandparents details not required.

Use the paper form then if you cannot proceed without these details online.

Was there an option to select how your child qualifies for a passport directly, ie. settled parent or similar?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:05 am

I went through the online application again. The system did NOT ask me how the child qualified for a passport. It appears that they decide the next set of questions based on the answers to previous questions. Surprisingly, it did not ask if any of the parents has an ILR despite stating that all parents and grandparents have a non-UK nationality.

The online application first asked for child's details, then said we "have to" ask for parents details, and then said that "based on your answers we have to" ask for grandparent's details. There's an option to say "I can't provide these details. It then says "Tell us why".

I have entered all the details and went up to the payment page without problem. Just that it asks for the grandparents' documents to be sent - which I dont have. Should I submit anyway and just send only the required documents (birth certificate, both parents' passports and visas and marriage certificate).

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:12 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:46 am
Grandparents details not required.
Neither are documents.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Alz3eem2018
United Arab Emirates

Post by Alz3eem2018 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:06 am

I have just filled and sent the evidence yesterday. I have the same situation as you and they asked for grandparents detail. I have sent them my brp with the indefinite leave to remain & my wife spouse visa and her country's passport..

i ignored the grand parental documents. hope it should be sufficient

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm

Yes, as CR001 said, this should be okay. The helpline confirmed that grandparents documents are not required. Furthermore, there seems to be few problems with the online application system (including it asking for grandparents details).

I have submitted my biometric card with ILR, my passport, my marriage certificate and child's birth certificate. I am sure this will be fine. The passport is in queue for processing it says!

bsc2007
India

Post by bsc2007 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Just to let you know that I applied online on 17th June, documents received by them on 19th June and got the passport on 25th June. I was not eligible for fast track, but they did it even quicker!

Best wishes,
B

Parmo1000
Newly Registered

Post by Parmo1000 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:24 pm

I would like to describe the current process for applying for an online UK passport application for a baby born in philippines. Philippines has unique rules because it has no divorce.

I will describe only the most typical situation here, a British father and a Filipino mother with a child born in Philippines in the last few years.

The first thing to think about is if your son CAN get a British passport. YOU must be a British citizen BORN in UK (it's called "otherwise by descent" ) and the mother must not be already married to anyone else . I think you must also have signed the Filipino birth certificates.

1. You apply online (using YOUR name as parent, if you're in UK) upload a photo of your son, make a payment, submit contact details of your countersignatory.
He/she MUST be a british/american/eu/commonwealth passport holder (NOT Filipino).
The photo can be taken with your own camera or phone but there are strict rules.

2. Later, the countersignatory is sent an email inviting them to witness the online photo.

3. If the countersignatory is accepted you are invited to send in documents to the UK passport office , I listed my papers above.

4. After that you just wait, overseas applications seem to be put on hold for 1 month until inspection.

5. After the inspection of your papers, maybe they will tell you to submit extra papers or maybe your application will be rejected.

6. You normally must attend an interview around 2 weeks later.

7. After that, another 2 weeks later, a final decision is made about your application and, if successful, you will receive the child passport by courier.

It all took 2 months for us, but ours was an overseas child application from a UK address with a British countersignatory and British interview location.
Our main problem was finding a countersignatory. If you are applying from UK address, the countersignatory must only know YOU. But if you are in Philippines you must find a Brit/American who knows you both. If you both have the correct qualifications to get a UK passport and submit the papers in my list above you will have no problems. 2 months after application you will get a passport for your son! If you apply after September you will get a brand new dark blue design!
Other possible problems maybe not having baby doctor papers, ultrasound scans, photo of when mother was pregnant. Maybe you'll get away with not having all these. I don't know. I read that nobody has ever failed the interview