ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Enquiry

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jafersadeq

Citizenship Enquiry

Post by jafersadeq » Fri May 01, 2020 11:49 am

Dear Gurus,

If I get the British passport and after that my wife got her ILR as PBS dependent, can she apply for British citizenship 1 month after her ILR as a spouse of a British citizen?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Citizenship Enquiry

Post by alterhase58 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:04 pm

First you need to get naturalised, after that you can apply for a British Passport .
Once your wife has received her ILR card she can apply immediately for her own naturalisation providing she complies with all the requirements, such as residency, absences and good character. There is no "one month" rule.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-guidance
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Fri May 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Dear alterhase58,
Many thanks for your reply,
Do you mean she can apply as a partner of a British citizen and the rule of 3 years applies?

I read Page 5 of 32:
If you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen(section 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981)

I also read Page 9 of 32:
Absences from the UKTo satisfy the residence requirement you should not have been absent for more than 90 days in thelast 12 months. If you are married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, the total number of days absence for the whole 3-year period should not exceed 270. Otherwise, you should not have been outside the UK for more than 450 days in the 5-year qualifying period.

Which rule does she have to follow:
1-application 5-year qualifying period
2-application 3-year qualifying period (applicants married to, in a civil partnership with, a British citizen).

She is in the UK for 5 years and when she gets her ILR she completes 5 and half year.

And what about my son, 21 years old, he will get his ILR at the same time his mum gets it. Can he apply immediately after he gets ILR or he has to wait 12 months?

Please advise

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:25 pm

She applies as spouse of BC based on 3 years residnece.

Your son will have to wait till he has held ilr for 12 months. No shortcut route for him.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:25 pm
Your son will have to wait till he has held ilr for 12 months. No shortcut route for him.
What about my kids under 18 years? can they apply immediately after they get ILR or they have to wait 12 months?
Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm

They can apply when your spouse does.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Fri May 01, 2020 3:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:30 pm
Good stuff, thanks a lot
One of my kids will be 17 years 7 months, do they consider him as a child? can he apply with his mum?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2020 3:37 pm

A child is anyone under the age of 18. If he reaches 18 before a decision is made, ho will ask you to pay the £80 ceremony fee.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Sun May 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Dear Gurus,

My friend is an engineer, he is working with me in my company, can he be a referee (first referee) for me, my wife, my son above 18 and my kids under 18 ?
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 am

What type of "engineer" is he??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Mon May 04, 2020 12:48 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 am
An Electrical Engineer (UK university), he is a British Citizen.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:50 pm

jafersadeq wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:48 pm
CR001 wrote:
If he is a registered electrical engineer with the relevant industry regulatory body, then yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Mon May 04, 2020 1:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:50 pm
jafersadeq wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:48 pm
CR001 wrote:
If he is a registered electrical engineer with the relevant industry regulatory body, then yes.
If he is not registered, can we (me, my wife, son above 18, kids under18) consider him as the first referee (as a British), and we look for a prof. referee.
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon May 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Yes, provided they are over 25, British (as you said) and have known each of you for 3 years.

Note that the professional referee does NOT have to be British, they can be of any nationality and on the list of HO approved referees.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Tue May 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Dear Gurus,

If I get a British Citizenship before my family, and according to the law and your advice, my wife can apply as a spouse of British citizen (she has ILR on the day she applies and meet the requirements). My questions are:

1-Shall my wife apply for her naturalization online without my kids under 18? Or together.

2-Shall my kids (under 18) apply by post (using MN1 paper form) or online? If online, which link do they have to use to apply online?

3-Do they have to apply at the same time their mother applies? Or after their mum becomes a British? Giving that I am a British citizen (in 2021), and they have ILR.

4-My kids (under 18) born abroad before we come to the UK, which category suitable for them to register as British?

I have read the paragraph below:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-ee ... r-children
Apply for your children
You must apply separately for your children - you cannot include them in your own application.
You can apply to ‘register’ your child for citizenship if they were born either:
• outside of the UK
• in the UK before you got permanent residence status

Please advise

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed May 06, 2020 6:17 am

1. They can apply together.

2. They must all apply online.

3. They can apply together.

4. There is only one category they qualify for, application under section 3(1) of the nationality act,which is an application at discretion.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Sat May 09, 2020 1:26 pm

Dear Gurus,

I have two questions about the referees:

1-Is it mandatory the referee has a valid passport when he signs the form?, you know that we have to fill his personal information in the application form.

2- The date of his signature, is it mandatory to sign it on the day of application? or at any time within the last year before application?

Please advise
Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:36 pm

1-Is it mandatory the referee has a valid passport when he signs the form?, you know that we have to fill his personal information in the application form.
The British "referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport". Referees should fill in their own details.
2- The date of his signature, is it mandatory to sign it on the day of application? or at any time within the last year before application?
Doesn't need to be signed on the date of application but personally I'd recommend the referee signs within a reasonable time of your application. Referee details can change over time.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Wed May 20, 2020 9:33 pm

Dear Gurus,

After being eligible to apply for citizenship, I have two questions:

1-Can someone apply for British Citizenship-naturalization from abroad (outside the UK), knowing he his eligible? or he has to be in the UK?

2-Can someone travel abroad after he applies from inside the UK?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm

1-Can someone apply for British Citizenship-naturalization from abroad (outside the UK), knowing he his eligible? or he has to be in the UK?
In most circumstances you would apply from within the UK.
The following question needs to be answered on form AN - if you answer other than UK you need to explain:
"2.3 Tell us in which country you intend to have your main home if you are naturalised: _______
If this country is outside the United Kingdom and i) you are not married to or the civil partner of a
British citizen and ii) you intend to enter into or continue Crown service, service in an international
organisation or employment with a company or association established in the United Kingdom,
include a letter of explanation.
2-Can someone travel abroad after he applies from inside the UK?
Yes

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm
In most circumstances you would apply from within the UK.
The following question needs to be answered on form AN - if you answer other than UK you need to explain:
"2.3 Tell us in which country you intend to have your main home if you are naturalised: _______
If this country is outside the United Kingdom and i) you are not married to or the civil partner of a
British citizen and ii) you intend to enter into or continue Crown service, service in an international
organisation or employment with a company or association established in the United Kingdom,
include a letter of explanation.
That means the person has to apply from inside the UK if he does not have a reason to apply from abroad. Is that right?
I have business abroad and sometimes I have to travel, but for limited periods. I thought I can apply from abroad and I come back for my biometric appointment.
Please advise
Regards

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed May 20, 2020 10:43 pm

I have copied the question from Form AN on gov.uk!
Can't be sure on this. You'll have to list your days outside the UK and the date you are applying from abroad should also be listed in your absences, which may raise questions. Personally I would recommend applying from within the UK to avoid such issues being raised. Not a common scenario on here.

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:05 am

Dear Gurus,
jafersadeq wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:25 pm
What about my kids under 18 years? can they apply immediately after they get ILR or they have to wait 12 months?
Regards
CR001 wrote:
There is a rule says:
The requirement is that one parent must be applying at the same time as the child and the other parent is settled.

My question is: Can my kids apply with me at the same time for British citizenship, they and their mum have ILR when they apply.
OR
They apply if I get the British citizenship?

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:16 am

Children under 18 can apply at the same time as either parent as long as the other parent has ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

jafersadeq

Post by jafersadeq » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:36 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:16 am
Children under 18 can apply at the same time as either parent as long as the other parent has ilr.
Joint application (Me and my kids together) ? or separately ?

Regards